Vintage Mustang Forums banner

'66 A-code 2+2 needs to be completed

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Woodchuck 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay... after suffering through yet another bout with my back, I'm coming to the realization that I may never have the physical ability to complete my car. I'm very, very, seriously considering selling it, complete with all the stuff I have collected over the years.

I never intended it to be a show car, just a nice looking weekend driver, so I didn't upend it and scrape off all the undercoat, etc., and paint the underside. I bought lower quarter patch panels and cut them down to fix a small hole on the right and a larger one on the left, and sectioned outer wheelhouse patches for the left side as well as a trunk drop off.

Other than that, I can honestly say the rest of the car is as rust-free as a 47+ year old car can be and I don't have any problem taking hi-res photos to send to attest to that fact.

I bought it with a newly installed '85 HO long block (new enough so that I had to snug up the valve covers on the way home to stop the leaks) and have put about 7,000 miles on it, mostly between '00 and '05. It has a toploader with Hurst Comp.Plus shifter and 3.00:1 open 8 inch diff.

Here's a partial list of stuff that I have done/have ready to do....

1. New metal-framed GT-350 hood. Yes, it's drilled for my correctly installed concours hood pins.
2. New RH door. Front leading edge built up so fender gap is decent. Mirror holes in both doors done with nutserts.
3. Headlamp wiring changed to dual relay system with circuit breaker.
4. New hub covers for the 15x7 TTD's. One 14x6 TTD spare wheel with tire.
5. New billet radiator overflow tank.
6. New fuel inlet and filters for O-4777 Holley (manual choke).
7. New heater core and heater box seals.
8. New front bumper brackets.
9. New stone guard, front and rear valances.
10. New front spring insulators and spring saddles (perches)

Most of the rest is NIB and/or not installed....

11. New heater hoses, upper & lower hoses, bypass hose, thermostat and gaskets.
12. New (not reman) Raybestos dual disc/drum master cylinder.
13. New ignition, door and trunk cylinders w/Pony keys.
14. New complete emblem set.
15. New concours quality exterior door handle set.
16. New vent window riveted seal (one installed).
17. New white headliner.
18. New white kickpanels.
19. New white sunvisors
20. New (slightly blem'd) parchment dash pad (original tooling).
21. Used '85 Fiero seats w/speakers in headrest (need new covers).
22. Very nice full length console (parchment or very faded light ivy gold)
23. New dual-exhaust rear brake hose w/bracket
24. New stone guard and valance hardware
25. New fender bolts, bumper bolts, etc.
26. New door watershields.
27. New windshield and backlite gaskets.
28. New door, fender, ashtray, license plate bumpers.
29. New parking lamps, backup lamps, taillamp lenses and bezels.
30. New front and rear bumper guards.
31. New concours quality outside mirrors (left and right) with chromed machine screws to match the nutserts.
32. Rear inside quarter trim stripped and ready to refinish.
33. New el-cheapo sill plates with labels.
34. New door weatherstrip, roof rail weatherstrip, trunk (i think) weatherstrip.
35. Whatever other bags and packages of stuff I have laying around.

Other notes...

a. Engine is pretty much a stock 5.0HO with '66 4V intake, 4150 Holley carb and Tri-Y headers. Distributor is an OE HiPo dual-point with Pertronix I ignitor. I haven't really done much of anything with the drivetrain as it ran quite well enough for me. I will include a Holley jet kit and I think I have a set of gaskets for it. I'm sure since it's been sitting this long it will need a refreshing.

b. Transmission works and shifts GREAT. I really haven't done much of anything with the drivetrain since I bought the car in Jun '00 other than check/maintain fluids, etc.

I installed a "previously owned" set of Cobra finned/wrinkle valve covers and "HiPo" air cleaner, replace the missing choke shaft, plate, linkage, etc. Right after I got it I replaced the upper ball joints and lower control arms. It has Koni shocks all around, 620# front springs and 5 leaf rear springs. I did the "Arning drop" and aligned it to the "Shelby" specs. It has Shelby Quick-Steer Pitman and idler arms and a 16:1 steering box. I'm guessing it had power steering originally from the crank pulley. It has SSBC Kelsey-Hayes front discs and an adjustable proportioning valve. One of the dust seals on a piston on the RF caliper has popped out but I have a couple OE caliper rebuild kits.

I completely stripped the exterior and applied 2 coats of light grey epoxy primer, completed my panel patching and epoxy primed, then applied polyester high build and block sanded. I haven't finished a tad of filler work to the extreme lower side of the RF fender to smooth some small dents. I have also been "fine tuning" an area on the LH rocker panel just aft of the door opening, below the quarter seam where somebody pushed it in slightly at the seam. I didn't want to open things up to pull it back out the 1/4" or so, so I used a base of AllMetal topped with lightweight polyester. The front fender lips are rolled already. The grille could probably use a replacement. I've straightened it and re-revited the brackets a well as possible, but I was planning on a billet replacement....and, yes, it has a crappy Grant steering wheel. About the only thing I've tossed is the old carpet, the bondo-filled hood, and I sold off the front seats after fixing one of the seat frames. The radiator and fuel tank look like they were replaced right before I got the car.

That's pretty much the whole story. I can type like there's no tommorow, but can't bend, squat or contort my body anymore and stuff like doing a tune-up is now a weekend project. I'll be glad to send a bunch of snapshots if you e-mail me directly at bkljal@myfairpoint.net and are genuinely interested. I'd prefer not to go through a tire-kicking exercise. In-person visits are fine too.

Here's the "meat and potatoes"... I know what I have invested in parts alone and a good idea of the time I've invested. This isn't a clapped out chassis that needs floors, cowls, or any other panel, for that matter. I'm looking for something in the $12,000 range cash, or would consider a trade for a nice, RUST FREE driver condition (as in "needs only regular maintenance" stuff '58-60 Thunderbird, preferably not black, no 430 but with power steering. Air conditioning would be a plus.

I've thought long and hard about this one. If I don't have any takers I'll probably have it finished and sell it on fleaBay or the like. I'd rather it not go to some trust-funders 18 year old kid...

Edited: Thinking about it some more...I'd also entertain a trade involving a light (under 7,500#) fifth-wheel or gooseneck travel trailer in decent shape, a nice '90-93 LX 5.0 Convertible, VW Type 2 Camper or ?

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel for you sir. A trip under my dash costs me a week of walking like I dumped in my trousers

Sorry to see you sell but pain can make you rethink your priorities

Peter

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.