Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1964.5 factory black Convertible.

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Pmustang 
#1 ·
In 2014 my dad asked Orlando Mistang to find him a clean early convertible

They located a car being sold by the original owner a Titusville Florida school teacher (67 Titusville school parking sticker is on the windscreen)

My dad bought it and asked Orlando mustang to check it over and make it reliable. $6200 later, disk brakes, Petronix, new carb (original one included) and all hoses, fluids, oil, perishables changed and rear brakes gone through he ended up with a super solid and functional convertible

It's an F code 260 V8, automatic, power steering, power top (last few months got new top cyls and lines). Drives excellent. Has a plug in battery tender.

Asking 32k or nearest reasonable offer.

I have receipts from Orlando mustang.

#2 ·
Link to Some photos

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Sent from my iPad
Doors open and close perfect. Body gas very nice. Drives and operates as a well kept one owner car should.

Engine bay very tidy. Inner fenders very straight and crisp. Original rear quarters.

Car is in Lancaster Pa.

#4 ·
Orlando Mustang

Seems like someone can form an opinion, yet negative, before any information is given. I've dealt with Pete for about 25 years and while possibly expensive in some areas, their quality is above most and they do work according to what the owner requests, all the time in communication with said owner before advancing to other work. If they did cheaper work, the cars would be worth less. I've seen junk work, done cheaply and the car's price reflects that. For a convert to be worth $32K, the work done had better be top notch and on a solid car. Maybe you might want to see an itemized bill before coming to any conclusions, yet alone an insulting comment with no knowledge of the work done or the quality thereof. Maybe there was a motor/trans rebuild in there somewhere? They have done work on all my older mustangs and I never even entertained the thought of being over charged, rather watching work performed that was not on the bill. I had a T-5 conversion done and was billed accordingly, even tho add'l work was done as they found other problems and it was not on the bill.

#8 ·
What was described should be no more than $2000. in parts.I estimate about 10 hours of labor,therefore $4200. for labor seems high. But maybe(hopefully) more was done than described. Just because early mustangs have become valuable, it should not command extremely high labor rates. They are still very easy and simple.

#10 ·
One mustang I purchased years ago had a receipt in the glovebox from Orlando mustang for $800. for carpet installation. Carpet sells for $150.so that leaves $650. for labor which should be a 2 hour job and the receipt showed 8 hours labor.Thats what I meant by "typical".Excellant work, but $300-$400. hr labor seems high to me to work on a 65 mustang.

#12 ·
If you can properly and perfectly install carpet in 2 hours start to finish then you either have some sort of super power or low standards as to what a proper install should look like. By the time you pull the seats, rocker covers, interior panels etc you are at least 30 minutes in. Let alone any trimming or making of holes, applying weights/steam to get it to sit properly. Then reinstallation of all the panels etc......

Sorry but your posts smell like an axe to grind to me.

#13 ·
Here's a breakdown: the $6200 included about $400 in tax. At $100/hour for the $5,800 that's left I see 58 hours of labor not counting parts. At $2K for parts that's one man, less than one week to go through the car. At $85/hr it's 5.5 days for one man. I'm not seeing anything way out of line.

That's a good looking car too.

#14 ·
Sour grapes

I mentioned this to Pete on Sat. at the Rod Run. It also included a complete AC system from scratch. Since it's a factory unit, these aren't cheap when you price out brackets, pulleys, hoses, rebuilt underdash unit and all the other small items. From 25+ years experience dealing with him, I haven't seen much he's done that wasn't approved and coordinated with the owners. Price out a headliner. In 1990, we charged $300 labor- but done right, the windshield and rear window come out and new seals are used. $300 to install a $30 headliner? Someone needs to re-inspect his criticism before throwing stones! It's like politicians commenting before the facts are in evidence!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.