Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Brian's 66 coupe build

242K views 1K replies 101 participants last post by  RareSpirits 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I lost the pics for the first 12 pages of my project, I have decided to start another thread, maybe some will learn from my mistakes. Each of us has our own vision and ideas of what we want and how we want to get to the end result. I'm the first to admit I would do a few things differently if there's ever a 'next time'.

My reasoning for taking on this project was a need for a new hobby; sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for...you might just get it. Many times I've thought, why didn't I just buy a restored car to begin with. Aftermarket parts come with a 99% chance that they'll need tweaking; some will need a lot. Not sure why we get so off track for the want of everything to fit perfectly. Since I grew up in a body shop during the 60's, 70's and the 80's I know this was not fact, new vehicles came with 'terrible by today's standards' fit and finish but we insist on it for our restorations.

Without further adieu here's where I started:

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Next replaced drivers door post and side cowl and sectioned passenger side cowl. I decided to remove the dash to make it easier to do the side cowl since it consisted of only a few spot welds per side. While I had it out I decided to strip and put a coat of etch primer for corrosion protection. Firewall is next then the thoroughbred floor.

I made this jig before I cut anything out to ensure the post went back in the correct position. The door to no time to realign after doing this.

#8 · (Edited)
Originally I had planned on patching the firewall but after determining it needed too many patches I opted for the full panel.

A trial fit

I decided a quick repair to the rear fender aprons was needed and I wanted to lay the inner and outer cowl in to make sure everything was going to go back in the factory locations.

Attachments

#363 ·
Originally I had planned on patching the firewall but after determining it needed too many patches I opted for the full panel.

A trial fit

I decided a quick repair to the rear fender aprons was needed and I wanted to lay the inner and outer cowl in to make sure everything was going to go back in the factory locations.

Brian,
In the top picture, I know you didn't replace them, but how are the front frame rails lined up and made true when replaced.

My shell is off of the rotisserie on a cart, actually the rotisserie is being modified, and I've noticed that the drivers side frame is loose. It actually bends a little where it's not tied into the box and flooring that I cut out.

How do I true this up when the time comes?

#9 · (Edited)
Next up is the inner and outer cowl. Since I had already done a trial fit with the firewall I prepped it for the final install. Sanded both sides followed with 2 coats of epoxy primer and a couple of coats of black acrylic lacquer for the inside of both panels. Seam seals the hats after the epoxy and before the paint.

Knocked out all the holes for plug welds.

Some weld thru primer and welded inner to outer panel along the windshield mounting area.

Epoxy primer and taped edges where weld thru primer was sprayed for welding to the body.

A splash of lacquer

And final welding.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Next up in a full floor and frame rail assembly from Thoroughbred Manufacturing. I bought a bunch of 1"x1" stock to brace the interior and keep the car from flexing. The floor doesn't look that bad in the picture, I had originally planned on doing floor pans but I also had to do both rear frame rails, torque boxes had a lot of pin holes, trunk floor and drop offs were bad and previously patched and the transition pan was rusted pretty heavily. Just made more sense to replace everything in one shot.

Plasma cutter came in handy

To cut the floor out I added some extra bracing and used an engine lift and slings to grab the rear of the car through the speaker holes and for the front I made a cradle and used 2 trailer jacks to raise the front.

#12 · (Edited)
Built a body cart from a drawing provided for by birddog.

I raised the car and rolled the floor from the side. The tough part was getting the firewall lip tucked under the floorpan. Remember you have to do battle with the contour of the tunnel as well. For this I got the floor to where it was just about touching the firewall and then got out every thin scraper and putty knife I had and used them for wedges to guide the firewall lip under the floor. Notice the bracket I made up bolted to my lower control arm mounts. That pipe running across the front end was parallel to the front of the body cart. I obviously couldn't push or pull the floor ahead given all the friction of the frame rails and the inner to outer rockers. I took a big pinch bar and used it as a lever between the front apron support and the front of the body cart. I was pleasantly surprised I was able to pull the floor in it's final resting place by myself.

Attachments

#15 ·
Some recommendations to anyone else doing this floor.

1. Take photo's of each and every body line and gap on the car before dis-assembly.
  2. Take a photo of your original floor as it sits at your wheel houses on each side and inside the trunk panels. Note where the inner rocker sits against the outer rocker. There are notches as well in the inner and outer rockers, mine were bang on.
  3. To mark some reference points drill 1/8" holes, they can be welded up when done. This would have saved me a few headaches and makes for faster alignments.
  4. Get a helper to aid in measurements and make your own frame chart to your car. Trust me you will need it.
  5. Brace the body well, the less anything shifts the easier it is to align everything.
  6. The trickiest part for me was that last inch at the firewall. I made my cart long enough to reach the cradle I put on my front clip. This came in handy to use as a fulcrum point with a pinch bar to pull the floor assy. in place. It took no effort at all to slide it that last inch using this, once I got a bunch flat bars to guide the firewall under the floor.
  7. Once everything is clamped, and you will need a couple of dozen clamps at least. I think I have close to 30 and I used everyone of them.
  8. If you are 99.9% sure the floor is in the correct location weld about 4 plug welds on each side of the upper inner and outer rocker so you can remove the clamps to mount the doors back on. I also did one weld on the inner rocker as well about 6" from the wheel houses on the inner rockers. You don't want to go too crazy yet in case you have to drill these back out in case you over looked something.
  9. Doors were ligned up with quarters and rockers first. Hood was next, aligned with cowl and then the fenders. I'm sticking the head light buckets and grille back in as well to make sure my hood gap is right. This was the 2nd time I had to re-hang the sheet metal, 1st time was for the cowl. Just one more time baby!

#16 ·
Some questions asked by a fellow forum member, well worth listing:

I have a few questions,

1) how did you get the doors lined up without the fenders on? I'd sure like to be able to do that as moving the doors with the fenders in place is cumbersome. I guess you lined the bottom of the door up with the body line on the outer rocker, and set the gap at the back of the door, Exactly but how did you decide how far out from the body the upper front corner of the door should be? Let the fit along the rocker and quarter panel guide you first. Roughly 1/4" gap, no need to measure, it's approx.. l also left the hinges bolted to the door so I wouldn't have to adjust in and out after they were installed. Also take the striker bolt off the quarter that will only give you false alignment if you leave it on. Get the door centered in the opening then mount and adjust the striker otherwise you are fighting 2 battles. Sometimes if I don't have a helper I will leave the striker on just to hang the back end of the door on, then I take it off. When you adjust a panel, do not tighten all bolts, tighten only 2 on each hinge and I make an adjustment on only 1 hinge at a time. Work on the height first then adjust in and out on the door side of the hinge. There may be more tweaking once you mount the Fender.

2) How big is the gap from the rear of the front fender to the cowl where the windshield molding goes? That is a fairly wide gap and it will require a little more attention on my car. I didn't get a chance to put the moldings on yet so can't confirm what the max. opening should be. Could you zoom in and take another picture? Picture to follow.

3) How far if front of the fenders is the corner of the hood? I'm gonna strip my head light doors and buckets so I can put those on and see where I'm at, but it'd be nice to know what yours measures. Have to get back to you on this one too, since I didn't hang the nose pieces. But I could get the measurement of what I have now. As Ryan already pointed out I measured the lower windshield pinch weld right behind the left wiper post to the front edge of the rad support, he provided the 55.5" and mine was the same for both sides.

#18 · (Edited)
Bought a gallon of paint stripper to strip the drivers side quarter. As I figured it was full of filler top to bottom and end to end. Once I cut it out I was glad I did, it was starting to rust fairly heavily behind the trim area and around the wheel house flange. Wheel house and quarter panel.

Braced the trunk hinge to keep that on for quarter alignment later on.

First quarter panel didn't fit so well. It was at least 1/4" too long from the belt molding to rocker panel. Someone told me it was possible it got flattened out during shipment but no, it had plenty of curve. It was also 1/4" too long in overall length. This was a Dynacorn branded quarter. Turned out both my Dynacorn quarters had issues. the passenger side was a 1/4" too short from belt line to rocker. Tough to catch a break. I ended up going with a Goodmark panel for the drivers side, I was much happier with the fit.

A little modification here,

A few screws and a few tack welds to hold in place while I do the other side. Once I have both quarters, tail light panel, trunk lid and rear valance aligned, I'll finish the welding and then sail panels last.

#20 ·
I thought you had picked up another car and was just knocking this one out in a single weekend.

Couldn't just add the deleted pictures?

What happened to the pics ?

#24 ·
I thought you had picked up another car and was just knocking this one out in a single weekend.
That is funny because when I was just about done, I knew someone would look at this and think, boy he's really moving...hahaha. That's the old daze...now it takes me much longer to do everything. I've never been so bloody indecisive, not sure if it's an age thing or not:shrug:

Couldn't just add the deleted pictures?
Nope no function to do that, believe me I wish there was.

What happened to the pics ?
If you change your privacy settings in photobucket you will lose every pic you post on the web...trust me.:eek:

#25 ·
That is funny because when I was just about done, I knew someone would look at this and think, boy he's really moving...hahaha. That's the old daze...now it takes me much longer to do everything. I've never been so bloody indecisive, not sure if it's an age thing or not:shrug:

Nope no function to do that, believe me I wish there was.

If you change your privacy settings in photobucket you will lose every pic you post on the web...trust me.:eek:

I really need to download my account to a disc, but keep putting it off.

#28 ·
Love the engine shots! I can use these as an example of what I want mine to look like. About how much did it cost to get all the parts needed to make the engine look brand new?

Mine still looks rough but will get tackled soon, hopefully this spring. At least it has that Ford blue :)

Attachments

#31 ·
It looked so nice when you started, typical hidden rust and previous hack jobs, .......