Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Diff between 69 Q & R codes?

13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  shakerdan 
#1 ·
What is the difference between the Q and R codes in the 69 Mach 1s? I know they are both 428, but does one code designate Shaker hood, etc.? Just curious, as I am thinking about buying a 428 Mach 1 but not sure if it is a Cobra Jet or what makes it a Cobra Jet, or if either of these codes designate the Shaker hood. THANKS!

#2 ·
R = ram air/shaker could be 428CJ or 428SCJ
Q = non-functional hood scoop could be 428CJ or 428SCJ
Both are 428's but then you need to see if it is a 428CJ or 428 SCJ
There is a cobrajet website but off hand I can't remember what it is and it has tons of info on this topic.

That's just a down and dirty answer to your question.
There are many differences from oil coolers, gear ratios, cranks, rods, etc.

#4 ·
my69mach is correct. Hey you can't go wrong with a 69 Mach.....if it's a 428 it's a super bonus! ::

#5 ·
The only difference between an R-code and a Q-code is that the R-code is the Ram-Air (shaker) setup and the Q-code uses a conventional air cleaner. Otherwise, both engines are identical as long as you compare CJ-R to CJ-Q and SCJ-R to SCJ-Q.

Q-codes can, in some cases, command higher prices than the R-codes. My old Q-code, 4-speed car brought $40K in December 2002, which was a much higher price than many R-code's were bringing at the time. Generally, the only ones selling for more were concours R-code's in general or comparable R-code, 4-speed cars.