Vintage Mustang Forums banner

what does it mean if your dipstick is popping out?

17K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Oregon67Cpe 
#1 ·
Sometimes after i run my car, i'll lift my hood and notice my dipstick will be like a foot out of the dip stick hole (what's proper name?). Sometimes it'll only pop out like 3-4 inches. Sometimes it wont do it at all. It prob. depends on how hard i drive it. I recently installed a new cam in my engine about a month ago, but my dip stick NEVER did this before. Is my engine building up too much pressure or something? Do i have a bad pcv? I bought chrome valve covers and im using the pcv/breather set that came with them.

Ultimately, is this a sign that something fatal could happen to my engine if this keeps up or is it somewhat common?

Chaz

#2 ·
Sounds like excessive crank case pressure. The harder you work the engine the higher the pressure that goes by the compression rings. If that is higher than the venting can handle something has to give. In your case it's the dip stick. Enough crankcase pressure and gaskets start to leak. Verify that all venting and PVC hoses and rattle valve are clear. If it does it long enough you might get oil spray in the engine compartment. I would take it easy on this engine and save my dough for a rebuild eventually.

#5 ·
I'd go with Jim. I had the same experience with my old 289. Easy driving was OK but I had dip stick pop up when I drove on the interstate. Eventually I wound up with an oil mist all over my front windshield - it was the rings going bye-bye. My advice - start saving, keep the miles down and keep your pony close to home.

#6 ·
there really is no reason for a rebuild. the engine doesnt have 7,000 miles on it. its an incredibly healthy engine. So a bad pcv could do the trick? b/c i never had this problem until i added the new pcv. I think i'll try that and i'll post what happens. Rebuilding is pretty much out of the question until the engine is just on its last leg...which really shouldn't be for a long time...

Chaz

#7 ·
where will the oil spray come from? out of the dipstick im assuming? so if oil were to ever come out, that means there is REALLY alot of pressure getting past the rings? could i just try a leak down test to see if my rings are somewhat faulty? i really dont think im getting any blow-by, its a stout engine.

Chaz

#8 ·
You have way to much crankcase pressure. Change your PCV valve and breather on the valve covers. I bet that will take care of it.

#10 ·
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#11 ·
Before resto my 66 was doing that same thing. After removing the engine and tearing it down I found that 2 pistons each had broken rings :horror: Also found 2 rod bolts that were loose :horror: :horror: That engine was a Grenade just waiting to be tossed!

#14 ·
If you only have 7K on the engine that must mean you had a rebuild recently, and if it's not the PCV system, Isn't there something about aligning the rings on the piston so that the gaps are offset? Haven't been into an engine that far, but I thought I read that somewhere in a magazine article?? Maybe someone with experience can comment further. Have you done a compression check?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.