Vintage Mustang Forums banner

68 302 High Performance????

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  juan 
#1 ·
I was browsing through parts catalogs and I kept seeing an air cleaner decal for a 302 high performance for the 68 model year. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I own a j code 68 convertible and was just wondering the history of the 302 high performance engines, I never heard of it before. Is it just an added decal to certain models?

#2 ·
I don't whether the decal is correct or not but the J-code was considered the high performance 302 for 68 with the notable exception of the race-only 302 tunnel port.

#3 ·
According to the '68 brochure (as you probably know) a special order for sedan racing 302 306 hp engine was availible with 4 speed and GT Group only. Aparantly these cars would be shown as special order, no code is shown for that engine to my knowledge.

I'll be following this thread with great interest you're bound to get more information from others on this site.

#4 ·
I had a NEW J-code 68 at one time. It was a special order engine. The horsepower was rated at 230 with 318 ft./lb. of torque. SOME of them came with a special cam. Nothing radical but ran slightly better. This was reportedly the only factory 4-barrel 302. Yes, there were other 4-barrels but were generally dealer installed. I had a four speed trans and it ran REAL good. Best regards. John--Las Vegas.

#6 ·
Thanks for the answers, my 68 convertible is a J-code and that is why I was wondering. I am trying to restore her back to stock with just a couple of improvements for the occasional drive. Everyone knows about the 289 hi-po and it would be intersting to know more about the 302 high performance. If anyone else can shed some light on this topic it would be much appreciated.

#7 ·
According to the '68 Ford shop manual, the '68 dealer brochure and the Mustang facts and specifications manual the 302 4V 230 hp engine is the J code engine, optional on Mustangs and Falcon. The special order sedan racing engine was the 302 306 hp.

#8 ·
A neighbor has a '68 GT convert with a J code engine. His shop manual says J code means flat top pistons to get the compression up (like the A code 289s that preceeded it), a 4V carb. and dual exhaust (though the exhaust could be the GT option). It has hudraulic lifters. I don't remember the distributor, though....

Good info, Slim, I didn't know a 306HP unit was available for '68.

#9 ·
I know 68 4bbl. heads were unique to that year. They had the same valves but 54cc IIRC chambers that would boost compression. I originally had those heads on my 67 but swapped them out for performer RPM's.

Andy

#10 ·
Don't know if this applies, but my Road and Track from June 1968 has a test of "Two Shelby GT350's - Cool and Hot" The regular GT350 had the 4 barrel hydraulic lifter 302 at around 250 hp, but the other GT350 they focussed on and ran their data panels on (and compared to the new Z-28) had a hotter engine. Shelby had "persuaded Ford to offer a new high-performance package for the GT-350."
This package added $492 to the price and included...
"special cylinder heads with larger valves (intake 1.875 in, exhaust 1.6 vs. 1.773 and 1.442), higher compression ratio (11.0 vs. 10.5), an aluminum high-riser intake manifold with a 715 cfm Holley (vs an Autolite rated at about 650 cfm), a camshaft that still works with hydraulic lifters but gives greater duration (6º greater intake, 8º greater exhaust)" and other minor suspension mods.
The article went on to say that the "factory people estimated it as having 315 bhp @5000 RPM and 333 lb-ft torque at 3800.

Personally, I think the standard J code (and the 68 Shelby) 250 hp engine was the "302 High Performance" engine. There was no longer a solid lifter hi-po, so the 250 hp version would be the next highest engine. And Shelby would always have the engine labelled "High Performance"for his cars. The mods discussed above in the article I think were just an option with no distinguishing engine code.
The TP 302 - a real hot ticket but I've never even SEEN one... I don't think the TP is the engine labelled as "302 High Performance", as Ford didn't release them for the street, although I understand a few somehow leaked out. (My father had a friend who was a radio station manager in Niagara Falls area of Ontario back in '68 who had a Highland Green 68 FB with a real TP 302/4 speed in it. He went for a ride in it, he told me it got rubber in all 4 gears....)
Sorry for the ramble, but hope this helps a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.