Vintage Mustang Forums - View Single Post - Info On Early Mustangs

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 PM
SmartJ

Hi Everyone - Jim Smart here. After several false starts and attempts to learn how to navigate VMF, I am back. I was successful getting into the VMF for a while, then got busy and forgot how to get in. Next thing I knew, many months had gone by. Probably took me 30 minutes to get this far.

First, thanks for your interest and support - it all means a lot to me. I've been at this a long time and I am still as excited about it as I was 25 years ago. Still having a ball and amazed someone still pays me to do this. I remain grateful for the opportunity I'm given every day.

Although I've been watching the $5.5 million Mustang with great fascination, it is best I not get involved in this matter. For one thing, available information on these cars speaks for itself. And once we are able to fill in all the production holes with serial numbers between 100001 and 100220 (approximately), the issue of the first mass production Mustang will solve itself.

Our greatest asset is an educated buyer. High-priced cars either sell or they don't. Whatever the market will pay. As my dear friend, John Murphy, put it, anyone who can write a check that large is going to do their homework. So worry not, everyone. Just another day in paradise.

I cruise EBay all the time looking for that elusive rust-free '67 convertible I can afford and I find mostly rust buckets full of bondo people are asking $28,000 for. Rust bucket convertibles are not worth $28,000 - but people buy and sell them all the time. Each of us has a choice. We can pay it or not pay it. Some ads infuriate us because they're so ridiculous. It isn't always up to enthusiasts to police these ads either. Word gets around. This matter will settle itself in time.

Now to the cool stuff we can do something about. I want to launch an In Search of Mustangs website dedicated to data collection and Mustang production facts. I'd like it to be a good, informative town hall style spot on the Internet where enthusiasts can share production information. And this may be the next best thing to a new Mustang Production Guide book for the time being. However, I don't know the first thing about how to build a website. I'd like to be my own webmaster who can update the site daily or weekly once it is up and running. This, of course, takes time - but it will happen.

Our Mustang Production Guide series is outdated though informative. Some basic information never changes - but other information, like that 100001 on March 9, 1964 myth, has.

March 9, 1964 was indeed Job 1, 1965 Mustang launch day. But, we have learned Job 1 is more symbolic than an actuality. For example, SN-95 Job 1, 1994, on October 4, 1993 at Dearborn was a symbolic Job 1. It was not 100001, which could not be found anywhere at Dearborn that day.

Until we determine the exact dividing line between pre-production and mass-production, which can be determined with exactly the two most important VINs - the first mass production 1965 Mustang remains a mystery. And here's another twist. Just because a VIN is has the first "09C" date code, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the first mass production 1965 Mustang.

The VIN has that six-digit consecutive unit number - which is an order number for that plant in that model year and nothing more. If your consecutive unit number is 124856, that means you have the 24,856th unit ordered from that plant in that model year. If you have 100195, that means you have an exciting VIN - the 195th order for that plant, that year. That puts you in a more coveted class than the rest of us.

Where it gets tricky is actual events from Monday, March 9, 1964. Job 1 may have been a Poppy Red convertible with a 289-4V D-code V-8 - lots of cool eye wash for the press and Ford corporate photographers (who likely shot the darned thing in black and white!). Job 1 may well have been 5F08U100226 or 100238 - a striking color to serve as a symbolic Job 1. That's what happened with SN-95 Job 1 and that is likely what happened on March 9, 1964 - a symbolic, striking Mustang convertible spit polished and shined, including its spinner full wheel covers.

Thank you for reading this long disertation. My home email address is thesmart67@msn.com. Always interested in hearing from you. Bear with me on response time. It gets busy. If you haven't heard back from me - give it another whirl. Once we have a website up, there will be a new email address.

Many of you have asked if I am still collecting Mustang production data. You bet I am. Feel free to email your VIN and warranty plate/certification sticker codes to thesmart67@msn.com. Please include your name, address, and telephone number. I do not sell/give information to anyone. I'd just like to be able to get in touch with you if the need arises. Always interested in VINs and codes from all classic 1965-73 Mustangs in order to fill in production gaps. Feel free to collect and send them to me.

Thanks Everyone...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome