Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Rave: OEM glass in Chenoa

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  69 Dawg 
#1 ·
My wife and I picked up my new front windshield and the new rear window for my Shelby today ( March 9th) at OEM glass in Chenoa. That is just one exit further than going to Pontiac down I 55. But I went down I 57, across 24. The place is really OEM Tractor, the window business is a side line. Met both the fellows who deal with the glass. Chuck takes the orders, and Bill, who does the work. 4 hour drive round trip. Nice people to do business with. Got the line on the rear glass, correct Carlite markings & date codes. Oh, and no more ice scraper scratches on the rear glass. Now the judgees will have to go pick on something else.
On the way home we went up old route 66 to rt 17, then 17 into Kankakee. Wizzed past 2 old "historic" gas stations on 66. Was a great trip

#5 ·
It's not hard to install new glass. But, it's already in the car. Here is the steps, but, beware, you can also easily break it with the wrong move. NEVER pry on the glass, tap on it etc. Read steps #1 and #8 before starting.

1) With the old glass out, install a new gasket/seal onto the new glass (plan ahead and order it with new moulding clips too)
2) Make sure the channel where the glass goes is clean of old sealer. Do Not use laquer thinner - you'll take the paint off. Use wax & grease remover.
3)Have enough rope, 1/4" size, to go around the perimeter of the glass plus a foot or so. Install this rope into the seal in the groove that the metal of the car will sit. Tape the excess to the glass toward the center of the glass on the inside to keep it out of the wrong place. Also, have the ends stop opposite of the roof and the ends centered.
4) Lay the glass, seal, rope onto the car in the area where it goes. Double check that it is centered.
5) Go inside the car and pull the rope so that it lifts the lip of the new seal over the metal lip. This moves the lip to the inside of the metal. Continue to the corners. The hard part was getting the seal/rope to go around the corner so don't use old crappy rope. If it breaks, you'll have to then try to get the glass out and the new seal. Hard to do. And be very careful here.
6) Work the seal to where it goes, inside and out (without prying!) I used needle nosed pliers to pull on it to fit - carefully, you don't want to tear the seal.
7) Caulk between the body and the new seal. I've seen this caulk at Advanced Auto Parts but I am sure other parts stores have it. 3M Bedding caulk
8) Push the new moulding clips into place (Ok, I should have mentioned to mark the stud location before laying the glass in. Use either a wax pencil or masking tape before laying in the glass. Also, it you have rusted off studs, this is the time to use the screws to hold the clips)
9) Install the mouldings. Push gently, or, use your palm to smack it down. Again, careful so you don't dent it, or, break your new glass.

If you boo-boo, well, that just cost you about $400, and one months wait time for the glass.

Get out the windex 'cause you are all done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.