Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What is this car worth? GT500KR Clone

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  slim 
#1 ·
#2 ·
You are better off starting with a true fastback, value wise. I would be concerned about the skill of the people that performed the transformation. It may also be missing a lot of expensive fastback specific interior parts. The doors have some rust, maybe too much to save.

This car is a good candidate for a track car. I'm talking no interior, caged with a stout motor and tranny, similar to what Powerblock TV did recently.

This car would need a full restomodification. That is a lot of dough and it's still a converted coupe.

#3 · (Edited)
I agree with the above.... Notice the rust on the fender aprons by the top of the shock tower. Every car I ever bought with that type of rust always has issues with the cowl or floors.. Maybe my bad luck... I would also be concerned with the quality of the conversion. Think resale after you spend thousands on the restoration and the the vin has 1 instead of a 2..... $3500-4000 tops...

#4 ·
Potential for all kinds of grief. The regular old car grief is bad enough without taking on the horrors that could be lurking in that one. High-school kid with a sawzall and a 5-gallon tub of bondo? Unibody squared with 2x4s (or not at all) when the roof came off? Given the quality of the stripe and lettering job, I'm gonna assume the previous owner wasn't a perfectionist. Not worth the risk, IMHO- I'd rather shell out the money for a better candidate up front.

If there was any chance it was a VIN typo I'd consider it, but the owner's gonna get mighty suspicious when you ask to pull the fenders, so you're left gambling with a Marti report...

#5 ·
With the conversion being as old as it is you would think that you could see some obvious bondo cracking or something if it were done poorly. It could also possibly be a real fastback but swapped title/vin from a coupe.

#7 ·
Converted? The guy only talks about the door tag, so I'm going with 'I had a f'd up coupe with a title, so I swapped the door tag to this fastback so I could sell it for something other than parts.' Show me a fender VIN. Besides, we all know how easy it is to swap a dash VIN on a 68.

#8 ·
Exactly what I was thinking. It has correct fastback interior parts and fold down seat too. It's more likely that this is a fastback car with a coupe VIN. Potential for title issues - especially if the fastback was stolen. Think about how easily the insurance company could dodge a claim if it were ever in an accident.

#10 ·
The guy sent me pictures, and the door panel and cowl vin match, could it be that they swapped cowl vin and door of donor car and it really is a Fastback, would looking at fender vin tell the truth to this mystery?
The doors are the same for coupe, vert and fastback. The door window is different. All that had to be done to use the coupe doors was put in fastback windows. Even the vert side/door windows are different from coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.