Vintage Mustang Forums banner

'69 GT Conv.

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  rcobra1997@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
Does anybody know how many 1969 Mustangs convertibles were made with the GT equipment option? I have searched the internet extensively and cannot find any production numbers for specifically GT convertibles.

#2 ·
You can try contacting Kevin Marti at Marti Autoworks & get a report on your car. I do not know if Ford actually kept records on how many were built with the GT package. I think Kevin Marti would be your best bet. IIRC his best report will break down how many cars were built like yours.

#4 ·
I believe Kevin's "Book by the Numbers" does list it. However I'm at work & my book is at home. I'll post later if no one else does. '69 I believe was last year for GT correct? Should be a fairly rare car as production dropped off big that year IIRC.

#8 ·
'69 I believe was last year for GT correct? Should be a fairly rare car as production dropped off big that year IIRC.
Correct. In '69 Ford had the Mustang, Mustang GT, mach1, BOSS 302, BOSS 429, and of course the Shelby GT350 and GT500. GT sales were tanking due to the new mach1, even though the base version of the GT was better equipped than the base version of the mach1, and the GT came in all three body styles. Ford dropped the GT to reduce duplication, which meant the 1970 GT died before it was built. Apparently, the 70 GT body emblem (which the 69 didn't even have) would have been a decal on the quarter, above the marker lamp.

#5 ·
From Kevin Marti's "Mustang...by the Numbers" the 69 Convertible GT production was 1127 units. Out of 6694 total GT's that would be 17% (rounded).

#6 ·
Thanks, that's the first time someone was able to site a number. Now I have heard of three different numbers related to the total GT production. Some websites say 4973 and others say 5396. Now Marti says 6694. Who does one believe? 1127 is the only number I have for specifically GT convertibles made in 1969. Which was also the last year of the GT until the Fox bodies in 1982.

#7 ·
Not sure what other websites you have been viewing, but Belive Kevin Marti. He owns all the Records for 1967-70 Fords and Mercurys and he is really the only one who can tell for sure. His Numbers come from Actual Ford Records.

#9 ·
Which created what was to me an interesting situation: Ford had no "high performance" package for its 'verts anymore. Gone were K code GT 'verts, 390 GTA 'verts, nothing left to compete with SS Camaro and Chevelle 'verts, 442 'verts, and such. I never understood why there wasn't a Mach 1 'vert. I know, you could get the engines, and most of the options, but no performance package.

Carl

#11 ·
Performance convertibles were always a rare oddity in the 60's, because they weighed a lot more than their steel-roofed bretheren. Why pay more for a slower car?

The mach1 was the "Performance Image Option". Aside from the standard 351 2V engine, and heavy-duty suspension, the literature from Ford equally emphasized such mach1 features as the extra 55 pounds of soundproofing, and luxury interior. The photos showed Ford's competitive use of the streamlined mach1 body, but…

#12 ·
Performance verts seem to have always been low production.
67 GT: 2341
67 K: 50(!) with only 34 being 4 speeds
67 A: 3622 with only 919 being 4 speeds
68 GT: 1986
68 J: 3754 with only 832 being 4 speeds

My vert was ordered by a lady to have a 289 2V and the 4 speed. Only 1296 made that way. That's 3% of verts. Include A, K and S codes and that percentage goes to barely 7%. Out of a all production is 0.3%. No wonder I had a time finding a 4 speed vert.

#14 ·
What I do hear all the time at car shows is "Wow a 4 spd". It was my understanding that for '67/68 only ~ 7% were factory 4 spd stangs (which mine is) which is why I get the comments. I found mine advertised in Hemmings Motor News locally. Almost never see any in there.

#13 ·
In 1969 you could get a vert with all the same options as a Mach 1. Including the GT option. However, very few CJ verts were built - only 122 not counting the Shelbys.

#15 ·
But think about it from the opposite direction: In order to make a '69 Mach 1 convertible, what unique parts would have had to be created? The grill is the same as a fastback, the interior rear quarters (to make a 76C interior) could be taken from the deluxe interior 'verts, hoods would be the same, tape stripes would be close (the '69 side scoops could have been a problem.) Tape stripe acros the trunk would be different, but unless you put the sportsroof's ducktail trunk on a convertible, there wouldn't be any strutural changes (different trunk lid, and maybe end caps). In '70, the side rockers would have bolted up, again, so only modifying the trunk (maybe) would have created a production difference. So for a low cost differential, they could have had a market competitor for the SS Chevelles, SS Camaros, 442's, Challenger R/T's, Cuda's, and on and on. My '70 'vert would pass as a Mach with only the foglamps, rocker treatments, trunk lettering, cutout valanace and exhaust tips, and 63C seats (oh, and the insert for the cowl above the glove box), all of which were already on the production line.

Carl

#16 ·
When I graduated from high school, I wanted to buy a new car. I walked into a ford dealer and saw it on the showroom floor. That same day I drove it home. It was a 69 mustang GT convert. red with a white top, 320 HP 390 automatic. It had factory cruise control. Only had it about a year and went back to a bigger car, I thought the mustang was to small. If I only knew then what I had I might have kept it. O well, I guess we all have are stories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.