Vintage Mustang Forums banner

2v heads

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Maxum96 
#1 ·
Want to rebuild my 2v cleveland heads - whats the best uprated/performance parts to use? Block is mainly stock apart from a little bit hotter cam. Running a Eddy Performer inlet and a Eddy 1406 carb.
Cheers,
Dave.

#2 ·
Are you having the heads done by a machine shop, or are you doing them yourself? If the former, I'd recommend looking at aftermarket heads, like the Edelbrock Perfomer. I had my 2V heads rebuilt with new valves, springs, etc. and hardened valve seats, and it ran almost as much as the heads would have cost. You might get a little more performance out of the deal, too.

#3 ·
First of all, if you haven't already, check out the 351c forum. Excellent source of info, far more knowledgeable folks there than I am as regards the Cleveland.

LINK

I used Manley valves & Scorpion roller rockers. Ferrea valves might have been a better choice in retrospect (lighter).

I can say that no matter what else you do, using a one-piece valve with a single-groove keeper should be at the top of the list. You don't want the stock 2-piece valve to come apart or slip out of the keeper.

You might also want to read this page:

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/351Ctips.html

It is a bit out of date (for instance there is a Performer RPM intake for the 351c now, and there are nice aluminum heads from CHI, AFD, and Trick Flow), but it's still a good place to start.

#6 ·
If you are keeping it below 5000 rpm then the stock rocke studs will be OK. But you must replace the springs and the factory two piece valves.

#7 ·
I ran a 351C with 2V heads in my previous 70. I did run the single groove keepers and valves. Don't run the multi groove ones. Great way to drop a valve. If you don't get crazy with the seat pressure on your valve springs, you can run the stock rockers up to 6,000 rpm no problem. I used to drag race my car and even used nitrous without problems. Where you might run into an issue is not having any way to adjust your rockers in case your pushrods are too long or too short. I used adjustable pushrods in my motor. But it was a band aid fix in reality.

Here's what a low compression hydraulic cam 351C can do with 2V open chamber heads. Very basic motor and nothing trick in it. This was without any nitrous in this video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.