Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Value of a unmolested 66 289 C code motor

18K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  hsvtoolfool 
#1 ·
I bought a 66 Mustang parts car last week. It appears to have an unmolested, all original, never disassembled motor. The motor turns over but the carb is gummed up. It sat for years. The exhaust manifold looks as if it was never removed from the engine, all tabs and washers are in place. So what I have is a 289, 2V, standard bore and I'm wondering what's the value of the motor.

This would be a good shell for someone looking to do a I6 to V8/5 bolt wheel conversion, since it has a complete drive train, 2.80 rear. and C4 transmission. I thought about restoring it at first but there was to much frame and roof rust. The good parts were all under the hood, such a complete power steering setup that doesn't leak and a 16:1 steering box without free play. I am going to install it in my 64 1/2 coupe. My wife asked me why do I get the power steering when she asked me to put a PS setep in her 65 Conv 6 Cylinder. I told her the power steering linkage from a V8 won't bolt on to a 6 cylinder Mustang. I believe I'm correct.

#2 · (Edited)
bout $500.00. i have TWO 65 289 4V engines and TWO 66 289 4V engines that were pulled from wrecked mustangs back in the mid 70's and have ben under a shed,garage, & now barn ever since. they are complete with aircleaner and were never to my knowledge dissasymbled(< i know i misses spelld that wurd). i fugured if i ever sold them i would ask $500.00 each cause thats what a good 302-460 complete core with carb goes for nowdays. i would probably sell em now but they b in missippi in my aunts barn out in the sticks and i b rite here in cali. ask $550.00 cause they will always want to talk ya down and stop at 500. p.s. i forgot to tell ya i poured some quarts of oil down both sides of the carb way back when and made shure the crankcase was full. my dad has always turned then a few times and still does when he goes to my aunts. he has 2 200 6 cyl engines stored there. the barn is bout 1/4 mile from the little road and out of sight and gaurded by sum meen dawgs !

Attachments

#3 ·
My .02 is for any small block (not rare ones) that has miles on it but YOU never hear run but complete is only worth couple hundred. If you're not looking for orig and not going to do rebuild yourself, a crate mtr can be a good pick.

#4 ·
Radiator

I bought a 66 Mustang parts car last week. It appears to have an unmolested, all original, never disassembled motor. The motor turns over but the carb is gummed up. It sat for years. The exhaust manifold looks as if it was never removed from the engine, all tabs and washers are in place. So what I have is a 289, 2V, standard bore and I'm wondering what's the value of the motor.
If you are lucky and it has the original FoMoCo radiator in it, I am Intersted in just the radiator.

Please let me know.

#7 ·
Great thread,I've been toying with starting a thread to give an idea as to how to price some of my "spare parts" as I would love to scale back on some of my excess without scrapping stuff. This is not meant as A hijack,but I'm curious as well.So I have the same basic engines Unbored C and a couple of A codes that spin freely most of these came out of parts cars and have been oiled,bagged and sitting on industrial shelving in a dry basement for 15-20 years.That said I understand on the pricing but what is the typical rate for long blocks without intakes(I throw out 2bbl intakes for space reasons),carbs, and distributors,basically complete short blocks with heads? More importantly what is the best way to sell them? My predicament, I currently have 10 and I dream of having a more reasonable 2 .Being that I pay good money for my stuff I'd love to recoup something, so I'd prefer to not junk them. Basically I'm looking for a quick and painless way to move several. Thoughts? Thanks

#8 ·
I currently have 10 and I dream of having a more reasonable 2 .Being that I pay good money for my stuff I'd love to recoup something, so I'd prefer to not junk them. Basically I'm looking for a quick and painless way to move several. Thoughts? Thanks
I have a spare engine for my 64 1/2 because of the rarity of 5 bolt blocks. I also think that complete, unmolested 289s are rare too. Most have been disassembled at one point or another. Ford didn't use an exhaust manifold gasket on stock 289s. It's been my experience that once you remove and/or replace the exhaust manifold, it will leak without a gasket.

#9 ·
I have a 52K C code and C4 that have never been apart and worked perfectly. I have every receipt from when the car was new until it was taken off the road in 1984. I HAD a video of the car doing donuts in the cul-de-sac before I pulled the engine, but I let someone borrow my camcorder, and the idiot grabbed MY tape and recorded over it. Right now the plan is a 5.0 EFI and T5, so I have a decision to make at some point.

John

#12 · (Edited)
Today I did a compression test all cylinders except for No. 5 Cylinder had 130 lbs of compression. Number 5 had only 90 lbs. I only ran this from a cold engine because there is no radiator. I did start the engine a couple of times and ran it for about 30 seconds each time. It sounded ok and didn't smoke. But the engine has sat for a long time.

Attachments

#14 ·
I guess I'm on the other side of this fence, or just plain lucky because I have bought and sold a few complete oil pan to air cleaner motors; Bought 150-250, sold 350-400. Right now I have a 66 that is missing some accessories and the air cleaner, and a 67 that may or may not go into my wife's car depending on what I find on the tear down of what's in it right now. The C3 heads are the first clue to 'kludge.' As far as date code correct stuff, you really need to find that one buyer. I have a pile of 2V manifolds. Can't give them away and hate to turn them in for scrap.

#21 ·
I may have an intake for it. I will have to check the date code and get back to you. I got it with a 1965 289 2v engine and matching c4 tranny, all for $300. Plus a pile of other parts. Let me know if you are interested in the intake. It still has a tag on it, so I will check again.

#22 ·
This is a 5 1/2 year old post.

Reactions: hounds
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.