Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Proper strut rod bushing washer install

10K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  67t5ponycoupe 
#1 ·
I have done many of these and never liked the way the instructions said to put the washers on. Instructions say the washer cups away from the bushing. I have always done it so they cup toward the bushing, just becasue it looks more correct. Then I saw this the other day and figured maybe I should start installing them this way, which appears to be the factory way with the washers cupping away. Look at the 4th picture down on this link. 289 High Performance Mustang - Underacarriage Pictures What is everyones opintion on the correct way to install these washers?

G
#2 · (Edited)
They go the "opposite" way, from your link but not for any real reason I know of anyway. I have seen them , from the factory, installed the other way on other types of cars too, not just Mustangs. So from an engineering reference, not sure it makes any diffrerence.

#6 ·
I know, it is very confusing. I must have put a hundred of these things on and the instructions always said that cup faces away from the rubber bushings but I never did it that way. I always put them with the cup facing toward the bushing because the other way looked stupid and didn't make any sense. Then I ran across that hypo site and started thinking that if I want to be factory correct they should face away. I'm working on my sisters 66 GT fastback and since it is a very original car I wanted to be correct. If you look at the link that 2+2 put up the first picture is of an original Shelby and both the washers face inward toward the bushing. I see a lot of folks saying different things so I have to play who do you believe. I'm leaning toward the original Shelby pic and I'm going back to doing it the way I have always done it with cups facing in.

#7 · (Edited)
Look and see if the washers are stamped with a direction.

The washers are to prevent the rod from going in and out, they should not bind and prevent the rod from articulating. Don't forget that anytime someone brings up a hard durometer everyone says "omg you will die when that rod snaps off!" and then they post that pic on the web of that broken rod with the washers on wrong and over tightened...

#9 · (Edited)
Yours is one of the pictures that I found that confused me. The new 65/66 bushing kit that I have is somewhat different than the 67/68 that you show. The washers and bushings I have are not marked as to which way they go. I now have both sides installed and I went with the washer cupped in toward the bushings on both the front and back, the same way I have done them for years and the same way it shows on the glazier nolan link that was posted by 2+2. I'm going with that. I have never had a strut rod break so I feel like the way I have done it is correct especially after seeing the shelby picture on the G/N link. MJB, I'm not saying you are wrong for your 68 I'm just saying I'm going with the original Shelby picture.

#10 ·
the pics on the hi-po site are of aftermarket replacement parts. no way are these concours correct. i never figured out why new washers are included in the kits. i always reused the originals. they do not have near as much cupping as replacements. and for the fellow 'going with the original shelby picture' don't rely wholly on those pics there. lots of incorrect details.

#11 · (Edited)
The Shelby pic from G/N is billed as an original Shelby American pic and it sure looks like one to me. Not sure how it could have incorrect details if it is an original picture from Shelby back in the day. I don't believe the Hypo picture with cups out either that is why I'm going with the Shelby picture with cups in. What is your thoughts carlite? Cups in or cups out?

#13 ·
I don't want to sound like a know it all, but the cup washer orientation on a 65/66 car is really dependent on what bushings you are running. You don't want to trap a harder than stock bushing between washers installed like they would be with a rubber bushing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.