Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Do you sit on your car?

6K views 74 replies 51 participants last post by  Harleydave 
#1 ·
I've never had a freshly painted car before. I've never given much thought about damaging the paint, so i often sit on them.

My '67 is about to be finished and I want to take my lady star gazing. You can't cuddle well in bucket seats, so i was thinking we could sit on the hood. I've done it before and it didn't seem to hurt it, but that might be a different story with fresh paint.

I'm curious if any of you sit on your car assuming it has a good paint job. Honestly, it might scare me a bit at first but i built the thing to enjoy it, so i could see myself getting over the fear of having an imperfect car if that meant i could enjoy it more.

Well?

-Matt

#29 ·
I've never had a freshly painted car before. I've never given much thought about damaging the paint, so i often sit on them.

My '67 is about to be finished and I want to take my lady star gazing. You can't cuddle well in bucket seats, so i was thinking we could sit on the hood. I've done it before and it didn't seem to hurt it, but that might be a different story with fresh paint.

I'm curious if any of you sit on your car assuming it has a good paint job. Honestly, it might scare me a bit at first but i built the thing to enjoy it, so i could see myself getting over the fear of having an imperfect car if that meant i could enjoy it more.

Well?

-Matt
No matter how carefull you are it will leave at least tiny scratches and possibly dents--not worth it to me anyway. Hey, it's your car but I would not do it.

#34 ·
The only exterior part of any of my vehicles that I sit on is the tailgate of my truck (or anywhere in the bed). Just like everyone has pointed out, the sheetmetal will distort since the structure was never designed to have someone's butt sitting on it. Even working under the hood requires care since belt buckles and metal snaps can cause scratches - that's why they invented fender covers. That big flat area on early Mustang fenders makes an all too convenient place to lay tools - nice flat surface with a big raised lip to keep them from rolling off the sides, which is why I use fender covers.

An old car buddy of mine has a term for the distortions, waves, and dings in fenders, doors, etc. caused by leaning on them - he calls them "whiskey dents", even though in my case they would more likely be "beer dents" since I don't drink much whiskey. Either way, they are caused by using the car as a resting point for your hindquarters while drinking or sipping your favorite adult beverage.

#36 ·
Haha, some of you guys are a little too strict. I could see not sitting on your classic, but why NOT sit on your beaters?

Just because I've sat on every vehicle I've ever owned doesn't mean I neglected them. As far as I know, I've never left a noticeable dent from sitting on a vehicle. I sat on my mustang's hood before i did the body work on it, and i didn't find any big dents in it. I actually found the opposite, the hood was too tall in the middle and i had to "flatten" it out to make it wider.

#37 ·
Dude, Please please please don't sit on your hood or deck lid.... I know that many on here have told you not to, but I have personal experience with someone planting their heavy butt on the decklid of my 68 fastback.... It put a dent about 8 inches across on the left side of the decklid near the quarter extension. I will have to tell you that I did not react appropriately and was asked to leave the little event. No cursing, but I screamed and hollered like a high school girl who's makeup was smeared. It's still dent, but a new decklid is on the way. No way of fixing the current one without using filler. I'm not a fan of filler. I now have a sign that says "LBDT" "Look but don't touch."

#38 ·
Favorite Car-Show conversation for years back.....don't see it too often now.....

Car owner speaking to idiot leaning on his car... "Boy, that sure is a nice car.....are you the owner?". Idiot - "Uh, no.". Car owner - "Then get your fu%$ing a$$ off it.".

#40 ·
For those of you who've been around for awhile, remember the OT is the one who posted about his gas tank. Folks, you're hitting your head against a brick wall.
Stan

#42 ·
Sit on my car? Hell, no! I don't sit, or lean, on any of my vehicles.

#54 · (Edited)
To be honest, if you have fresh paint, chances are it isn't fully cured yet. That means that now is the optimum time to do your leaning/sitting!!! Think about it, if your paint is still somewhat soft/hasn't completely hardened, it will have a little more flex (or give) to it than it would if it were a fully cured paint-job (think brittle). That said, I'd still choose a spot that is rather structurally sound (Center of your [m]*** on the hood directly above the hood bumpers, for instance, would work). I frequently sit on the edge of my fenders, hood, and quarterpanels, and the world hasn't ended yet.

My 17-y.o. $0.02
-Dave

#56 ·
In that case...

#57 ·
OK, I'll chime in. I remember when i was 16 back in 1974 at a crowded 7 11 parking lot where all the guys and cars hung out, ( you could buy beer there at 18 ) one of the neighborhood older guys had bought a new red pontiac ventura we were all checking out. i was leaning against the quarter panel.he was pretty cool, but had come back from vietnam the year prior and was known to have a bit of a temper. Anyways, when he came back out and saw me leaning against his car, he asked me very seriously if something was wrong with my legs. I thought he was really just asking me and I said no, why?? Well, he said, then if I ever find you leaning against my car again I am gonna break them.......I have never leaned or sat on any bodys car since then, even my own.

#62 ·
I have a dent in my hood...right about where I would expect someone's butt to have been sometime in the last 40-something years. I kind of like it. I love the idea that this car was used a loved. I also would love to think that a couple might have gazed at the stars together while sitting on the hood. I know it sounds crazy to some but in my case I can tell you for sure that if my wife wants to hop up on the hood and watch a drive-in movie (we still have those here) or the stars I would be thrilled to hop up there with her.

My car will never be a "show" car and I plan to drive it as much as I can...even race it someday if I'm lucky. I could never own one of those cars that are too pretty to use. but that's just me and I totally respect those that do.

#63 ·
If you are one of those that doesn't sit on your car...you never want to see my car when it's in the garage for winter storage.

Granted, my paint job isn't great right now, but I don't suspect I'll change once I get it painted. But I don't go to shows. The car is for my driving enjoyment only.

I once had a 91 Explorer that I spend a good amount of money repainting, body work, and some body accesories. First thing I did? I went mudding and trail driving with some friends and slid my truck into a tree while going up a very steep section of rocks. Put a few scratches in. I was upset for about a minute and then realized that it freed me up to enjoy my car how I had enjoyed it prior to my paint job.

#66 ·
Interesting post. Let's get back to the question - no I do not sit on my cars BUT it is your car so you can do whatever you want to do with it. I am sure you are not going to use it as a couch on a daily basis and I am sure you will be careful. I would not sit on new paint until it has had time to fully cure. That said the only car I will sit on is my pick up truck - on the tailgate or in the bed.

#67 ·
Paint is the very least of your worries. If you like wavy bodywork, if you like driving down a beautiful road while staring at giant butt-dents in your hood while you're remembering the eight seconds you saved by not pulling a damn camp chair out of the trunk, you'll love using your car as seating.

#68 ·
If you think she is a keeper, do whatever you want on the hood. Years down the road, you can wax fondly about the time she left her butt print on your car and how it got there...or hands and knee impressions if it was really memorable. Just remember to replace and repaint the hood when and if you find a new person to star gaze with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.