Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Anyone tried these lights?

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  tx65coupe 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I installed halo lights in my 65. I bought mine of off ebay much cheaper, they were listed as Harley Davison Tri-Bar lights. I was happy with the lights I bought, real glass lenses, sturdy metal bucket. I think I paid $80 for the pair. I used the Halo function for my blinkers.

#5 · (Edited)
I can't believe anyone would put Pimp My Ride accessories like this on a classic Mustang. It looks like cheapo junk from A'Zone or Pep Boys. If you want Halo headlights, just get a new plastic car. Its bad enought seeing it on them.

If I had to have halo headlights, I'd rather have something like the BMW from a few years ago that just glows and is natural white color with out the pixelated look.

#7 ·
Personally, I agree. But remember the most common phrase used here on the VMF.... "it's your car, do what YOU want." If they like it, go for it.
I'll just shake my head as they drive by......

#8 ·
I don't think it's better for style but I do like to be able to see at night.... I probably wouldn't go for the multi-color ones because the white LED one looks like it works better for what I want. I mean i'd rather have these lights than to hit a deer and really be crying about how my car looks :| I live where deers are everywhere.. already managed to smack one in my truck the other day

#9 ·
The LED Halo will do nothing to improve visibility, so if you were looking at the halo for that reason, you will be disappointed. You can get new halogen lights without the halo, and the halogen is what provides the improved visibility. I can only think of two reasons to buy the halo:

A) You like the look
B) You eliminated your parking lights and turn signals, and need something to use for a blinker

#14 ·
The LED Halo will do nothing to improve visibility, so if you were looking at the halo for that reason, you will be disappointed. You can get new halogen lights without the halo, and the halogen is what provides the improved visibility. I can only think of two reasons to buy the halo:

A) You like the look
B) You eliminated your parking lights and turn signals, and need something to use for a blinker
I don't care about the ring.. just the 50% brighter bulb and because the LED's match the bulb and there are 42 of them I have to think it does a slight bit more than nothing.. from what I saw in the install video on that link it seems bright as hell.. and I've seen a video of before and after on youtube with these lights.. there's a MASSIVE difference

#15 ·
I don't care about the ring.. just the 50% brighter bulb and because the LED's match the bulb and there are 42 of them I have to think it does a slight bit more than nothing.. from what I saw in the install video on that link it seems bright as hell.. and I've seen a video of before and after on youtube with these lights.. there's a MASSIVE difference
The difference is from the Halogen not the LED. LED's produce a very very bright light, but it doesn't project well. LED are good for making you seen, but not necessarily letting you see. LED technology is still evolving and just now getting to the point that they can be used as headlights, but so far they are only on expensive german cards like Audi and Mercedes. There is a 7" retrofit LED light, but it costs hundreds of dollars for the kit (and it is ugly in my opinion)

Mustang Project - Product Display

#11 ·
For better visibility go with good glass H4 conversion lights or Sylvania Xtravision 6024 and relays. Also blue or extreme white bulbs offer no improvement in light output. Stay with clear bulbs.
Anyone got a good source for these? I've held out buying Halogens for something like this, and since I'm wiring my car now with the AAW harness, I can't think of a better time to do it.

#13 ·
Be very careful with the halo bulbs.

I had them, and replaced the H4's supplied with the lights, with generic over the counter $25/pr halogen bulb.

The lenses turned milky and the reflector was slightly melted.

I have something like the CJ pony parts lens. Mine were $80 each, and only have one colour (blue) but they are also a tribar light

I use the blue for car shows that sort of thing.

More importantly I wired up some ballast resistors to the H4's for a low(er) output daytime running light.

I highly reccomend this. It really does stop about 50% of the !diots from cutting you off. Especially since I run all 4 lights as daytime running lights.

#16 ·
If you like them go for it. I love to see mods no matter if I like them or not. Your initial question was "Anyone tried these lights?" After all, this is the Mod and Custom section.

#17 ·
FYI on LED's...there are substantial differences in quality....and while they will go their life span (many listed at 100k hours), what is not listed is the decay of the lumens....there is not one LED on the market that does not experience significant loss of brightness over time...and the international/nation standard allows up to 50% reduction at 50% life....check out carefully what you buy.

#18 · (Edited)
Sylvania Xtravision bulbs have no trendy coating that filters out useable light. Their Silverstars have something called an amethyst coating. They may seem brighter, but that's only because they are whiter. GE Nighthawk bulbs are good too.

The reason I decide on Xtravision halogen sealed beams is because they are the same wattage as capsule bulbs, and look stock.

These Hella H4 conversion lights should be good.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002395301

Cibie and Delta make good ones too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.