Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Rain Gutter Seal

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Woodchuck 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My 66 coupe leaks in the rain. What is used to seal the rain gutters over the windows? Whatever it is, right now is dried up and coming out. I need to replace it.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Hi there,

I just bought a 66 and the sealant used in the drip guard looks in pretty bad shape. I don't think it's rusted, just bubbling from age. I'd like to scrape it all out and re-set it - just wondering if this is the same problem as you had and if so, what did you use?

thanks

#8 ·
There is some product (help me out David) which is essentially fiberglass that you can use to cover up rust damage (after removing the rust). It hardens pretty good from what I've heard.

#9 · (Edited)
I used 3M Metal Fill. After I replaced my quarter panels, I used 3M Metal Fill to fill the areas that were originally lead. It worked so well that I decided to use it in the drip rails.

#10 ·
Is that a metal-to-metal type filler?

#12 ·
3M Heavy Duty Drip Check is the product I have used for that situation. I flows easily and is sort of self leveling. You need to remove all of the old hardened and cracked factory stuff and inspect the metal underneath. You will likely find rust, even in the southwest cars. Repair the rust first. Re caulk with the Drip Seal or equal and then the area will have to be painted to match the roof. I actually had to replace a couple feet of drip rail because of the old stuff leaking.

#14 ·
3M Heavy Duty Drip Check is the product I have used for that situation. I flows easily and is sort of self leveling. You need to remove all of the old hardened and cracked factory stuff and inspect the metal underneath. You will likely find rust, even in the southwest cars. Repair the rust first. Re caulk with the Drip Seal or equal and then the area will have to be painted to match the roof. I actually had to replace a couple feet of drip rail because of the old stuff leaking.
That is good stuff. Goes on easy and stays. Holds paint and seals well. And, yes you will probably find some rust under the old stuff if it's cracked.

#13 ·
I removed all my old stuff with a wire wheel, then epoxy primed, followed by Eastwood's Seam Sealer, in beige. which is toluene-based. The stuff applies well and hardens to the consistency of a stiff silicone. Because of the stresses in this area, I'd be hesitant to use anything that hardens completely as it may not stay bonded to the whole surface, over time. Then you'll get water leaking in and a repeat of the process you fixed in the first place.

#15 ·
Bart. why beige seam sealer? Just personal preference, or is it superior to the black Eastwood sells?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.