Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Autozone engine

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Harleydave 
#1 ·
ok so autozone sells a reman 302 that supposidly has 306hp for 2600 which doesn't sound bad. Or do you think would be better to get the edelbrock topend kit and just get my 302 rebuilt?

#2 ·
I vote for build it yourself.

Here is what I usually do. I search for an engine build that has already been dyno'd, and use the exact same parts as they did.

Here is a good list.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/ford_dyno.php

#6 ·
You mean THIS ONE?

When they say "$2600" is that just a basic long block or a complete engine? I'd think this would be a MUCH better deal... Blueprint Engines SB-Ford 331ci Stroker/ 330HP/ 360TQ - JEGS

My experience with "factory" rebuilt engines marketed through big-box auto parts stores is that you can end up with a mongrel if you can't control the rebuilding process. You could get a C5AE head on one side and a C8OE on the other, "consumer grade" components, and a build that was done by an assembler being paid on quickness rather than quality.

I'd also give little credence to published dyno numbers for engines that never see a dyno and test run before being shipped.

#7 ·
I'd by oil and non-Fram filters from Auto Zone. And I like their batteries. I won't buy parts there. A whole engine? NFW. (No foreseeable way.)

Such low-buck, mass produced engines are typically a hodge podge. A few cylinders might be bored. Others not. They typically have a very high threshold for wear and take action only when outside that threshold. Thus, they won't bore cylinders or machine crankshafts unless they're very worn out.

Do you think the people who build those crate engines are smarter than you? I doubt it. If you can find a good, local machinist, take your block, crank and piston/rod assemblies there. Have them bore the block, turn the crank and put new pistons on the rods. (You can assemble pistons to the rods yourself, but without a large press, it's kinda dicey. And it's not that expensive to have a machinist do it.) Also have the shop install cam bearings. Those are a pain.

Then buy a copy of "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Ford". Read the book from cover to cover, then follow it step by step.

If you boost the compression to 10:1, install a decent cam with headers and an aluminum intake, it will be a very strong street engine. If it's in your budget, buy some good aluminum heads for much better performance. Oh, and have the distributor curved while you're at it.

#9 ·
They typically have a very high threshold for wear and take action only when outside that threshold. Thus, they won't bore cylinders or machine crankshafts unless they're very worn out.

Where are you buying your engines? Never heard such stuff. I have never sold an engine that was not bored or the crank not turned. Many engines are either marked or come with a sheet showing the bore and crank turn specs. Many engines also come with a sheet showing the oil pressure when they are on the test stand .The link above is from VEGE engine in Arizona . I believe many/most of their engines are rebuilt across the border in Mexico . I've sold a couple of their performance engines over the years and the customer was very happy with the performance and the name brand materials . Yes, there are sometimes issues on mass built engines . Not everyone has the budget to have a QUALITY local machinist build their motor or the time/experience to do it themselves . Always do some research before spending a large amount of money on an engine or what ever else you are buying .

#12 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Do you work at or manage an Auto Zone which sells these engines? If so, and you can vouch for them, fine.

But I have seen "remanufactured" engines with a few cylinders that were bored, and the rest were not. I've seen a "remanufactured" engine that had a completely worn out camshaft in it. I have also seen remanufactured engines that were built very well. I put one into my pickup truck about 15 years ago. Thus, I would be leary of ordering an engine from some place far away unless I had some very good assurances that it was a quality product.

So, if you can provide those assurances, that's great. But based on what mikek69 reports, I don't get a good feeling about that builder. They likely use whatever parts they can get cheap. It's an understandable business decision, but someone looking for a performance engine would probably want to know what's inside.

#8 ·
Yep, I was going to do the autozone route, but when I called the builders they couldn't tell me anything about the bore size, CR, or brand name of parts used. Wouldn't custom anything for me either....like the camshaft. After a few "im not sures" I built mine to my specs. It took me a while and came across a few hurdles, but its running. I just hope it holds up. Bored 351w .060, haha.

Mike

#11 ·
Looks like it is Vege but with a different name and website when used by Autozone or O'Reilly .

#14 ·
I agree with AJZRIDE about craigslist. I've seen a lot of engines there. I would search a couple hundred miles radius from you. There's a lot of started projects that are looking to sell. Try using searchtempest.com

#17 ·
Ford parts are going to be real hard to come by overseas as they never sold these cars in Europe IIRC, so only parts that somebody had shipped over themselves would be for sale.

#18 · (Edited)
Also, there is only ONE way to get experience, and that is to DO IT!

I guess every single professional out there at one time was inexperienced as I don't think anyone was born with the knowledge on how to build an engine.

Read everything you can on building an engine. Get a photobucket account, and post pics with your questions that you might need to ask on the forums.

I built my first engine by only reading a Chilton book on my car, and a Ford Performance book. There wasn't an internet back then so all I had to go on was info from other engine builders in the area.

I would still recommend building an engine from one that is posted on the net or a magazine article as being inexperienced its easy to over do things like cams, CR, etc, and end up with an expensive PIG, that won't out run a stock engine.

Also, buy a 351w, as when you have the need for more HP you will have a better platform vs a 302/5.0l until you have the $$ to go to an aftermarket block.

With the internet, and I would be there is some good video on Youtube, you will be set.

#19 ·
Yea i dont think ill buy it, it says 306hp but dodsnt say what they did to get that. When i worked their a friend bought a 400 than tore it down to check it and add somethings. Im wanting to get 300hp to wheels can i do that for 2600? It has a edelbrock intake and a holley 650 carb already.

#21 ·
Start looking for a set of AFR 185 heads used, on Craigslist, and maybe the Corral.

I just picked up a set for 1k, that came with a set of Harland Sharpe roller rockers. Like I said, find an engine combo that has already been dyno'd, and start buying the EXACT same parts as they used.

Buy the parts a bit at a time as you find the good deals until you have everything that you need.

When you have built enough engines, and learn enough things about how parts work together, then you can pick your own parts, and know about how much hp to expect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.