Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Leaky fuel sender

933 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  carlite65 
#1 ·
The sending unit on my '65 started leaking yesterday around the sender post grommet. I am going to have to drain the tank and pull the unit, but was wondering if you can replace the grommet only, or is it a complete sending unit replacement? I want to have what I need before I pull the sender. If the sending unit neds to be replaced, who has the most reliable one? This one is ~2 years old and I would rather not repeat this in another 2 years.
Also, does anyone have any good tricks for draining the tank? Normally I would do some spirited driving to drain it through the carb, but with rain and mud on the roads, I think I need to drain it in the driveway.

Thanks,
Jay

#2 ·
The sending unit on my '65 started leaking yesterday around the sender post grommet. I am going to have to drain the tank and pull the unit, but was wondering if you can replace the grommet only, or is it a complete sending unit replacement? I want to have what I need before I pull the sender. If the sending unit neds to be replaced, who has the most reliable one? This one is ~2 years old and I would rather not repeat this in another 2 years.
Also, does anyone have any good tricks for draining the tank? Normally I would do some spirited driving to drain it through the carb, but with rain and mud on the roads, I think I need to drain it in the driveway.

Thanks,
Jay
no good way to repair that one. replace it with the best repro from virginia classic mustang. i have an electric fuel pump rigged up to pump out gas tanks.

#3 ·
Coat the new grommet with petroleum jelly prior to installation. This will aid in holding it in position during installation, and will help it to seat correctly. Hopefully it will last much longer than two years.

#4 ·
If you don't have a tank with a drain plug, you can get a length of fuel line, pull the line to the pump off the sender, place the length of fuel line on the sender, and let it run into gas cans. +1 on the petroleum jelly on the grommet, I used silicone grease, but either should help.

#5 ·
Guys, Thanks for the info and ideas. To clarify, the grommet I am talking about is the one that goes around the stud the wire attaches to, not the O-ring. I did manage to get it drained today by siphoning the gas out the top and did not end up with a mouthful of gas in the process. :)
I thought about removing the line on the bottom, but none of my cans will fit under the car and so doing it from the top seemed to be the best way to go. I really like carlite65's idea and I will be looking for an inexpensive electric fuel pump so if I have to do this in the future it will be a bit easier. I'll pull the sending unit after Christmas and see if the grommet can be replaced, otherwise I'll be ordering a new one.
Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.