Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Car tried to kill me!

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Boom 
#1 ·
My poor car tried to kill me. Somehow :shrug:it popped into reverse and almost ran me over and went through the chain link gate to my shop. Thankfully I was able to get in the car and stop it before it smashed into a brick corner.:shocked:

I know I should have had the parking brake on. I had left it idling since the air is so cold I wanted it to warm up before I drove it far. It was sitting there for a couple minutes while I locked the shop up and closed the gate, then it just started coming at me. :crybaby:

I don't think the damage is too bad. Mostly just gonna need to get some sand paper and primer.

Untitled by Edgethis, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
I managed to nab a deal on Ebay. Found an OEM Quarter panel extension painted almost my blue its looks like, complete with the trim piece. $35 shipped.

#4 ·
Looks like a pretty easy fix. It will probably cost more to repair your chain link fence. I did the same thing a few yrs. back. I jumped out of the car to close the gate before the dog got out and left it in reverse. Good thing for me it was the wife's modern iron and not one of the Stangs. Luckily, the only thing damaged was my pride.

#5 ·
I dont think its too bad because the body just got dented and the extension broke. $40 in parts and sand paper. I hate bodywork lol but this will make me get better.

Crazy thing is the car was in park for prolly 5 minutes and somehow slipped into reverse, i have a camera at my shop, may have to check and see.

#6 ·
I'll bet you haven't replaced the bushings in the shifter and set the linkage adjustment. I'll confess something similar, except that as the car backed away from me, I grabbed the coil wire and it died instantly.

#7 ·
Good to hear you were not hurt. I thought Christine was a plymouth fury not a mustang?

I have been the driver of 3 different cars that completely lost the brakes and tried to kill me... but I never had a car try to run me over! Luckily I was able to stop all 3 cars without incident.

#10 ·
Dang, glad you didn't get hurt ! Looks like a nice car too...

22GT++ Replacing bushings and adjust auto shifter linkage should prevent that ever happending again...

Next time, post a thread in the wanted section and I'm sure one of us can help you with that part. Stop in Bedford, VA if your ever up this way...

#12 ·
Glad you're not hurt and i think you should give her to me. Once a car has tasted its owner’s blood, it thirsts for more…much more! Mark my words she’ll come for you again like an enraged woman at a pre-Christmas sale at Wal Mart.

#13 ·
i am guessing your shifter is loose feeling ?
my 66 was like this when i was in the middle of restoring it .
A little story for you
started the car one day by jumping the solenoid shifter jumped into reverse and took off, my hand got caught in grille area so car drug me down drive way then made a left and plowed into my 94 f150 . no damage to f150 but the brand new tail light panel i just welded on was wasted .dooooh
i had the $2.00 shifter bushing kit sitting right next to shifter to remind me to fix the shifter , just never installed it .
I installed the kit the very next day.

#15 ·
Make sure when you rebuild it you inspect the ''paw'' (believe that's what is called) on the shift lever. They can get worn.

It's actually called the pawl. And it's inside the transmission. It's what actually locks the drivetrain up. And it's what causes the ratcheting noise you hear if you throw your car into park while still moving.

#16 ·
I'm sure 22GT remembers this, but back in the 70's Ford had an issue with transmissions jumping into reverse out of park. I believe it was a linkage issue, but I don't remember for sure. I do remember watching this happen to a neighbor when his car was in the garage and watching him fold the drivers door over so it was alongside the front fender.

#24 ·
I'm sure 22GT remembers this, but back in the 70's Ford had an issue with transmissions jumping into reverse out of park. I believe it was a linkage issue, but I don't remember for sure. I do remember watching this happen to a neighbor when his car was in the garage and watching him fold the drivers door over so it was alongside the front fender.
After that "trans problem" we had to put warning stickers on the dash of cars as part of a recall telling people not to leave the car running and unattened & with out the parking brake set.

#21 ·
Lol thanks for all the replies guys.

The trunk lid and taillight panel are untouched. The bumper already had a ding but is still straight. I already popped the large dent in the trunk area out, just small dent towards the bottom that is being stubborn. The is a sizeable dent just behind where the scoop would mount, jsut have to pull teh interior panel to pop that out.

Good news is there is no real damage other then paint. There is a tiny dent at the rear where the extension meets the quarter panel. So really its mainly just gonna need the back half sanded and painted. I'm gonna take a paint chip and see if I can have a quart mixed or something at a paint shop to blend it in until I finish everything and am ready for a full paint job.

The linkage was pretty good, it was only installed a few months ago, however it felt tight so I didn't bother with the bushings. D'oh

#22 ·
Dang, that is bad luck. Glad no one was hurt...other than your pride...lol :p

I remember some years back, on here, a guy had a beautiful fresh painted mustang and started it in gear somehow and it hit his wife's car parked next to it. Bent the door back etc. he wasn't nearly as upset as I would have been. Another guy had a new rebuild with the Shelby hood that requires pins at all 4 corners...yeah, he forgot on his first run and the hood flew off and iirc it hit his wife's car that was following him for the first drive. ugh :skullnbones:

I chipped the corner of my 66's door, in the garage, recently when I parked a little too close on my side and kicked the door open and arghhh s.o.b. and every other word I learned in the Navy. :eek: I'm going to call the paint shop in town and ask if they can mix me up a couple of spray cans from the paint I have left over from painting it a few years ago. I have a few chips along the bottom from rocks etc anyway. Heck, these things were made to drive and I do it. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
WHA ! ! !! i bet that scared the S#$T out of you!!!!! glad noone got hurt.. and yes, i would be pretty upset with that or any damage..... but looks to be a "simple fix".... i bet you had a few choice words after that was over....

#26 ·
Your cars name isn't isn't Christean is it?

I'm glad your OK and the car didn't get beat up much worse.
Lynn

#27 ·
I am thankful that I wasn't hurt. I am going to sand down the rough edges and spray some quick primer to cover until I get the tools and supplies to repaint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.