Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Which Distributor Fits

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ScottsGT 
#1 ·
I'll be replacing my points distributor with an MSD in my 351w soon and not sure which to get. I'm looking at the all in one that does not require a box but it looks taller. Will this dist. fit if I'm using the Cobra oval air cleaner w/performer intake? Anyone have this combination?

#4 ·
Are you talking about one of the dizzy's with the GM cap that holds the coil?

Not sure if an oval cleaner will clear that monstrosity. In my opinion, they just look out of place on a Ford.

#7 ·
That on the left looks like the one I got. Yes, it is all in one and you do not need the box for it which is nice.
MSD Billet & Pro-Billet Distributors

MSD Ignition 83521 MSD Billet & Pro-Billet Distributors

I got one and I will not be using the top wire part on it as the wires I got for it won't accept it.
I want to call JEG's and see if I can get a black cap for it instead of the red cap.
I don't have mine installed yet, so I have no clue on air cleaner issues.
Lynn

#8 ·
From everything I've read you can't run an oval air filter with a GM-style HEI cap.

I second the suggestion of simply installing a Pertronix I or III in your existing distributor, or a reman dizzy if you think you need a new one.... unless it's the "bling" factor you're after.

#10 ·
I have a pro-billet in my 351w. The cap measures about 3.6" in diameter. From the top of the block (where the distributor mounts) to the top of the wire boot (with wires installed) is about 8". from the pictures, i would guess there is an extra 3/4" on the ready to run. consider going out to your car and measuring where that would put the cap.

that's not what i would consider an HEI cap. yes, it uses that type of plug wire, but it doesn't have the coil in the cap.

#11 ·
I bought a new (made in China of course) Duraspark from O'Reilly's and the MSD Digital 6 box. Looks like it is going to be a great combination. I'm trying to figure out where I can hide the MSD box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.