Vintage Mustang Forums banner

EFI Fuel Delivery - Aeromotive vs. TanksInc.

9K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  dan58 
#1 ·
Hi VMF,

I’m coming back to a long stalled project. She’s a 1967 Convertible Mustang. Well over 10 years ago I had gathered parts for a 5.0/AOD conversion and some suspension mods.

If I were starting fresh, I would not go that route today. But I already have the parts and just want to get her back on the road as cheaply and quickly as possible. And make her a “rolling” project from then out.

I have an inline pump but I am thinking of going in-tank instead to avoid any cavitation issues.

With “cheaply and quickly” in mind, I am looking at two options:
Aeromotive Phantom Stealth – Part Number: 027-18689 - $455 Aeromotive 18689: Phantom Stealth 200 Fuel System 200 Stealth Fuel Pump Supports up to: | JEGS
TanksInc – New Tank (MU-HT) and fuel Pump (GPA-2) - $455
1964-68 Ford Mustang Fuel Injection Tank

I am leaning towards Aeromotive but am looking for any input including other options that I may be overlooking.

It will be feeding a stock 5.0/AOD, stock intake with JBA shorties. I have an Explorer Intake and GT40-Y303 heads that may go on later along with yet to be acquired larger MAF and TB. Also have E303 cam whether to install is TBD.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I went with the MU-HT from Tanks Inc. The Fuel pump assembly is only 6 screws and looked easier to deal with, but I did switch out the Walbro 255 fuel pump for an Aeromotive 340 pump as it is much quieter. Just my $.02. I have JBA shorty headers feeding a 2.5" exhaust.

#4 ·
I've been weighing these two options as well.

I saw the aeromotive kit. It appears to be one stop shopping for everything you need to do the install, which is nice. Not sure if Tanks Inc. offers a complete kit like this.

Tech: Aeromotive Stealth Fuel System For First Generation Mustangs - StangTV

It's funny how the Aeromotive tank looks exactly like the Tanks Inc. tank. If you are doing the FiTech EFI you don't need a fuel regulator as it is incorporated in the unit. The AN fittings are great as long as you run the lines exactly like in the article. Tanks Inc. offers fuel line and fittings, but not as a package.

#5 ·
I went with the tanks.inc after fooling with inline electric pumps for a couple of years. I already had the feed/return lines running, so I just needed the tank with the pump/sending in it. Works great so far and I am pleased. Nothing like having an inline pump up and quit when away from home in traffic. I guess they just get too hot. You do have to trim the rod for the sending unit to read correctly (or incorrectly as someone on here noted recently). The signal it sends is not correct for the gauges. In the mod section there is a thread about this. It does read in the general range though. Depending on the fuel line size you are going to use, I got these for the tank part.(also has the issue about the sending unit answered in the thread) I'm assuming you know about using the emergency cut off switch when you have an electric pump?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/998010-if-your-going-go-efi.html

#8 ·
I went with the tanks.inc after fooling with inline electric pumps for a couple of years. I already had the feed/return lines running, so I just needed the tank with the pump/sending in it. Works great so far and I am pleased. Nothing like having an inline pump up and quit when away from home in traffic. I guess they just get too hot. You do have to trim the rod for the sending unit to read correctly (or incorrectly as someone on here noted recently). The signal it sends is not correct for the gauges. In the mod section there is a thread about this. It does read in the general range though. Depending on the fuel line size you are going to use, I got these for the tank part.(also has the issue about the sending unit answered in the thread) I'm assuming you know about using the emergency cut off switch when you have an electric pump?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/998010-if-your-going-go-efi.html
The inline pump was on a parts car, I had it running and couldn't stand the sound of the pump.

I have the stock inertia switch somewhere. 10 years ago I knew exactly what was needed, now going back and relearning everything.

#9 ·
One thing I noticed when using the in-line exterior pump was that my Ford stock efi setup was running out of "juice" at about 4K rpms. I figured it was the pump that had to pull from the tank and then push it to the efi intake. The in-tank setup has cured that problem for sure. The 5.0 HO now pulls nicely to 6K. I have an AOD transmission too. I'm a believer in the in-tank setups for sure.

#10 · (Edited)
I have the Aeromotive Stealth tank assembly, it's actually a Tanks inc fuel tank with the Aeromotive internals and includes just about everything you need, even a roll over valve. It even came in a Tanks Inc box. The outlet, return and vent are all on the top, and some folks have issues with that, but I plan on fabricating a sheet metal cover over the top of the tank that will protect all that.

One thing I thought was a little strange, Aeromotive told me to run the same size return as the fuel supply line. I always thought it could be smaller since it doesn't have to carry the same volume of fuel back to the tank. I'm using a carb and an Aeromotive bypass FPR to reduce the efi pressures down to carb specs.

#11 ·
I was lucky as last year I replaced my stock 5/16" fuel line with a 3/8" steel fuel line knowing at some point I would go EFI. The driver's side of the EFI is the supply line, no way around that, and the passenger side is the new 6AN (3/8") PTFE return line.

The inertia switch is mounted on the passenger side on the backside of the trunk mount so as to not interfere with closing the trunk lid.

I made a box that will cover the lines and the fuel sender and pump to protect it from things I put in the trunk, and of course the trunk has full carpeting.

I took some pics of the inside of the Tanks Inc. tank and if I still have them I will post them up later tonight. The fuel pump sits in rectangle that is about 3" in height, about 12" in length, and about 6" in depth. There are a few small holes at the bottom of the sump to let gas into the sump.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks for all of the the responses everyone. It is very much appreciated.

Sorry for the long delay. I ended renovating our kitchen over the winter. I’m still not done but I’m trying to wrap it up and get to the Mustang.

I took some pics of the inside of the Tanks Inc. tank and if I still have them I will post them up later tonight. The fuel pump sits in rectangle that is about 3" in height, about 12" in length, and about 6" in depth. There are a few small holes at the bottom of the sump to let gas into the sump.

Hope that helps.
All your input does help a bunch. Thanks for the pics. If you have those in tank pics I’d like to see them.

If your plans are autocross or hard turning the Tanks Inc drop in sump uncovers at 3/4 tank in a 22 gal.
The Automotive works 100% at 16gals in tank, but uncovers below that in long sweepers,for me only LEFT because the sump is in the left front of the tank. I use 22 gal,and the depth of the tank may aggravate the problem.
In normal driving I have run the Tanks down to 4 gals but you have to drive it nice,same with the Phantom.
I’d like to do an event eventually. I have some suspension plans as well which will be another post when the time comes.

If I’m understanding correctly, you’ve done both configurations in a 22 gal tank. And you’re having less issues with the Aeromotive set-up. The Tanks Inc kit I’m looking at is a 16 gal baffled tank. Is your 22 gal tank baffled for EFI?

#12 ·
j.persons , at idle and cruise RPM most of the fuel just takes a trip forward and goes back to the tank,if the return is smaller than the feed it can cause a restriction and raise the fuel pressure. when you set the pressure with your regulator at idle, at WOT high load the actual fuel pressure at the injectors will drop.
You can go the other way,small feed,large return.

#13 ·
I've had both,Tanks Inc and currently have a Stealth set up.

If your plans are autocross or hard turning the Tanks Inc drop in sump uncovers at 3/4 tank in a 22 gal.
The Automotive works 100% at 16gals in tank,but uncovers below that in long sweepers,for me only LEFT because the sump is in the left front of the tank. I use 22 gal,and the depth of the tank may aggravate the problem.
In normal driving I have run the Tanks down to 4 gals but you have to drive it nice,same with the Phantom.

#14 ·
You can get the Spectra Fuel tank and pump assembly for about $315 to your door from RockAuto, comes with a Walbro 255 pump. Added benefit of a this system is you don't have any fuel lines in your trunk.

#16 ·
+1 on the spectra. I chose it for the price, the location of the pump and lines, its fully assembled and ready to bolt in, fit like a glove, and I am running the Earls Vaporguard hose and these lines mount to the Spectra pump with zero modifications. Very clean, very simple install. Motor is not in yet, but fuel delivery is ready to rock (Fitech EFI on an aluminum head 302 is my set-up). The pump included is a 255 LPH so it will easily feed a robust N/A 302 or 302 stroker.

#24 ·
i have the tanks PA series module (a little different than the GPA). I don't like the fact (at least with the PA), the AN fittings can hit the screw heads and interfere (can't quite turn things to avoid it). That's with AN-8 fittings.

also, just because it's in tank, doesn't mean the pump is submerged. you need to have a well filled tank for that to occur.

also, in tank may help keep the pump cooler (if you have enough fuel in the tank), but you also have a great heat source inside the tank and heating up the fuel that surrounds it. the longer the trip, the more the fuel in the tank will heat up (of course external ambient temps and the tank thermal impedance can delay it). in addition because it's returning fuel from the hot engine compartment, that can heat up the fuel in the tank as well. basically, don't assume putting a pump in the tank prevents fuel temp/cavitation issues.

#27 ·
#28 ·
You'll like the ability to adjust the sending unit or the pump w/o having to remove all the gas. If you look at my garage you'll see how I ran the hoses in the trunk. When done I also put a box around the pump/sender and lines so I can put items in the trunk and not have to worry about hitting the lines, etc.

Reactions: DonP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.