Vintage Mustang Forums banner

US Mags Rambler wheels on Flamed 66 Mustang

42K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  66ivygreencoupe555 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: Photobucket sucks, so I replaced those first images with the better ones.

The fit is spot on perfect.

Edit: Turns out with driving, that the fit wasn't as perfect as I first thought. The fronts were just too wide for 65-66, so I swapped tires and went with 215/45's up front. I'll eventually put the old 245/45's on the back to buy just a bit more breathing room as there is an occasional rub on both the inside and outside of the tire in the rear now that I have completed the Explorer rear end swap which is slightly narrower than the stock 8in.

Front:
17x7, 4" backspace with 245's

Rear:
17x8, 4.5" backspace with 255's

Ordered with tires mounted and balanced from CJ Pony parts.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/us-mags-...7-and-255-45-17-tires-1965-1973/p/W961B10B12/

See less See more
#3 ·
You're not the first to ask me that question. The design is surely evocative of Halibrands, and i think they'd look good with spinners. As far as I know, US Mags does not offer them as an option, but I bet spinners could be retrofitted.

I may explore center cap options at some point, but these will do for now.

#7 ·
They only stick out toward the bottom of the fender. They're within the tops of the wheel openings front and back and they've already been rolled. I would be shocked if I encountered any clearance issues.

#15 ·
When modifying the front suspension you can test fit wheels/tire before installing the springs. With just the upper and lower control arms connected to the spindle, you can put a jack under a tire and move the wheel through every possible position while checking for clearance issues.

#17 ·
Your car looks great Blake! Really digging the flames and fastback! I had to go with a thin 215 on my fronts due to the deeper drop. Might be able to get away with 225 next time I need tires.
My car is just about complete, all windows are in, just need to finish seat belt installs , a safety switch, and a kick down. But here's my iPad wallpaper!
It'd be awesome if we could get a pic of our cars together

#21 ·
If everything goes to plan, I'll hopefully be installing the new front suspension on Sunday. Won't get to lowering the rear at that time, but at least the front end will be riding where it should soon. :smile2:

Your car looks great Blake! Really digging the flames and fastback! I had to go with a thin 215 on my fronts due to the deeper drop. Might be able to get away with 225 next time I need tires.
My car is just about complete, all windows are in, just need to finish seat belt installs , a safety switch, and a kick down. But here's my iPad wallpaper!
It'd be awesome if we could get a pic of our cars together
Thanks man! That would be so great to get our cars together. Too bad we're in the same state and still 9 hours apart, lol. Your car has been a big inspiration to me. I can't tell you how nice it was to have pics of yours to drool over while I waited a month to get mine delivered.

Look A++
are the tires 45 profile?
Yes sir. 245/45 and 255/45

#23 ·
If everything goes to plan, I'll hopefully be installing the new front suspension on Sunday. Won't get to lowering the rear at that time, but at least the front end will be riding where it should soon. :smile2:

Thanks man! That would be so great to get our cars together. Too bad we're in the same state and still 9 hours apart, lol. Your car has been a big inspiration to me. I can't tell you how nice it was to have pics of yours to drool over while I waited a month to get mine delivered.

Wow that's cool to hear! Thank you for the compliment!

Yes sir. 245/45 and 255/45
http://rs880.pbsrc.com/albums/ac7/eldog22/20170203_124921_zpsjfaewffd.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
Looks like almost the same blue. Mine is a Toyota color.
Still need o get the front down about an inch or so.
This car looks sweeeeeet!^^^^^

#19 ·
WIndow trim isn't on in that pic but I did paint them flat black, and powder coated the vent window, side window frame, and quarter window frames all black as well.
I also blacked out the quarter trim that's chrome In the picture

Honestly man, I feel the ramblers look amazing on vintage mustangs. Friend of mine has em in 18's on his 67 and it looks awesome

#31 ·
Good news: new suspension is it and the ride height is finally where it should be.

Bad news: I have some clearance issues still. Hopefully when I get it aligned they can adjust the caster to buy me some more space between the tire and lower-front edge of the fender.

My advice is to get a narrower tire (like 225) on the front if you have a 65-66.

#32 ·
Exactly why I did a 215 up front. I just had the fenders rolled and by the looks of-haven't really driven the car on public roads yet-I could've done a 225 as you said... next time I need tires though!

Car is lookin good with that drop Blake!

#38 ·
Wow what a ride, great looking cars guyz! One thing I have learned is if you are considering altered UCA, go with shorter ones and a lower Arning drop. I am at 1/2 inch shorter, with a 15degree change in ball joint angle - e.g. what a negative wedge kit would do. You end up shimming the UCA back out but now you get more negative camber as the suspension drops. Picture the ball joint higher than the anchored end of the UCA so it rotates upward and inward at the ball joint with a tighter arc radius by 1/2". Makes a big difference in tire clearance but leaves it looking great at the ride height. I am able to clear 225s no problem now with 8" rims 4.5" offset. Turn-in is awsome also with the added neg camber - great unless you already oversteer...

Nice rides guys!

#42 ·
Thanks for all the pics!

I'm planning on getting new wheels this winter and these are on the short list. I'm just not sure I want to go 17". I have 15" now and like them, would like to go 16" (limited selection), but sometimes 17" looks a little big to me. They look great on your car, but I think I'm a little bit lower than you.

If I go with these I'll paint the centers like this:

I still have time, decisions decisions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.