Chasers 66 Restomod 408 Coupe - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums

 10Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: St Louis
Posts: 204
Garage
Excellent! Glad I could help.

This whole endeavor took me about 4 hours to finish. I figure another couple hours to get it perfect with the filler.

If i get time this week I plan to:
- clean the engine bay (it's dusty)
- clean up some previous owner welded garbage that made no sense
- seal a few extraneous holes
- go over the car one last time for any other exterior metal changes
- strip the dash and pillars
- start DA 80 grit sanding in preparation for Epoxy

If I happen to get a call from the engine guy I'll take a break from all that nonsense to build an engine!
chaser012001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: St Louis
Posts: 204
Garage
Well no call from the engine dude so it was a body work weekend. Got the back half of the car and the roof DA sanded. Sealed up the emblem mount holes (the 3 finger emblem thing). I also cleaned and finished up some welds.

I had my heater going in the garage as an experiment to see if i could keep the temperature up. Metal temp and air temp both stayed well above 70 so I decided...what the hell...lets spray some epoxy (plus it was starting to flash rust).
I use the DevilBiss 'DeKups' system so I got it all setup. Mixed a container of epoxy...1:1 according to the instructions. Let it 'induce' 30 minutes. During that time I got my air feed setup and checked my tips. 1.3 and 1.8 were still in the drawer so I knew 1.5 was on the gun. Put the hopper on and got ready to spray...

This is where things started to go off the rails...

After a crap ton of fiddling with the fan, flow, air pressure, EVERYTHING...i just couldnt get the gun to spray like it should. I set the flow low and the fan tight just to get something consistent. Even then...it would splatter every so often and letting the trigger out it would dribble. I continued to spray since...it's just primer and will get sanded down anyway.

As i started taking the gun apart to clean it I noticed the air nozzle wasnt seated all the way. Then it dawned on me...i let a friend use this gun a few months ago. It looks like he put it back together with the flow seated all the way down which prevented the air nozzle from seating. I got it put together the way it should be...i really hate seeing splatters!!
Hopefully that solves it and the gun will go back to spraying like it should.
chaser012001 is offline  
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: St Louis
Posts: 204
Garage
Engine build is hung up waiting on the AFR 205's. Since I had to go with the upgraded springs it's taking them a little longer to ship. No big deal since there's still PLENTY to do on the car.

This weekend was all about epoxy!! Scuffed up the e-coated new parts...well...most of them. Also ran the DA with 80 grit over all the other metal. Mixed up the SPI epoxy. While it was inducing I cleaned all the soon to be coated panels with Eastwood prep cleaner and got to it!!

Sprayed 2-3 wet coats and ran the heater overnight to cure it. Sadly...I couldnt get the whole thing done due to space limitations. I still have the edges of the doors, headlight doors, headlight inserts, underside of the hood and some other piddly things. I'll look to doing that stuff next weekend provided I dont have an engine to contend with. I dont like having so many irons in the fire at one time but such is life.

Here's a photo of the epoxied stuff. I had already closed the doors to start getting the temp back up so the pic kinda sucks...



Couple other things...my painter has bailed on me so I'll have to sort that out eventually. I think I'm going to finish the body work and then go about 'building' the car (more or less). Should take me until the end of the summer and then figure out what to do.

I've also been going back and forth on what transmission to run. I was initially thinking a T56...that later changed to a TKO600 so I wouldnt have to modify the tunnel. Now I'm back to the T56 since I've done so much metal work I figure...whats a little more.
Anyway...decisions to be made later i suppose
chaser012001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome