Redneck 69 RestoMod Build - Vintage Mustang Forums

7Likes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Redneck 69 RestoMod Build

...and, no, that does not mean I will be using a john deer tractor engine with an international red paint job; rather, the title is tribute to my humble (...stupid...?) beginnings of the car restoration process. I bought the car with no real knowledge of how to do any of what this thread shows, but, somehow, by God's grace, supportive family, and persistence....I'm still nowhere close to done!!

Keep scrolling for pictures, but, first, The Story:

As I write this, I am 26 years old, just got hired as a design engineer for Snap On Tools, living in SE Wisconsin. This story starts 15 years and 1,300 miles ago as an 11 year old near San Antonio, TX who watched his older sister turn 16 and have the sweet sixteen wish of a car....to which, my parents, hard working middle class folk, laughed. One $17 car later (you read that right, Grandma passed away and the title transfer fee was that much), my sister had the ultimate first car: a 1996 Nisan Sentra that leaked as much oil as gas it drank.

Determined not to be succumbed to this fate when I turned 16, I made the logical decision around 11 years old that I would start working ASAP, buy an old mustang, and have it fixed and running by the time I was ready to drive (cue sitcom laughter). Work I did...mostly mowing lawns at first, then I got connected with a local farmer who needed some basic help around his house and new business: a corn maze. Working for cash at the screaming rate of $4/hr, I started my penny saving. As the years progressed, so did my wage and usefulness to this farmer (I ended working for him off and on through 21 years old…great friend of the family nowadays). By 13 I was working full time hours in the summer, and amassing cash for the mustang purchase of which I was scouring local newspapers and internet ads (pre-craiglist days…).

Then, the fateful Sunday morning in April of 2004…the Houston Chronicle had an ad listed for a 1969 Mustang for sale…$4,500. One phone call later, my dad and I set out for Houston the next day (about a 3 hour drive), we met the owner, looked the car over, and shook hands for $3,800.

No engine, no trans, moderate rust damage…but the frame rails, torque boxes, and major body panels were intact! Knowing what to look for is credited to this forum

I got the car home (credit: my father being willing to drive there with our trailer and bring it home), disassembled, and began to take stock of what needed to be done. To my great regret, I have little to no pictures of the first 4 years worth of work. Somewhere there is a stack of 35mm film pictures that I had developed (pre-digital camera ownership days), and if I find them, I’ll upload some. Somewhere along the line, I also gathered that this car was not going to be done by 16...or even 18.. (so I bought a diesel truck and found another outlet for hot rodding; however, that is another story...)

At 16, I got hired at a local shop as an oil changer, and 2 years later I was working for them as a technician. Still worked for the farmer on the weekend in the fall (the corn maze season). That funded most of the work (and helped with the car learning curve), but I quickly found out that body work is cheap in cost and expensive in labor, so I learned to weld, taught myself how to replace panels, and took great pride in every ounce of work I did.

I was living at home with mom and dad, finished high school, started taking community college classes towards a Mechanical Engineering degree, and at 21, I moved into San Antonio (about 35 miles away from home), transferred to a university, and the mustang progress came to a screeching halt for 5 long years for me to finish school (it was quite a bit harder than I anticipated...).

And here we are now. Hired and living in Kenosha, WI. Lovely wife (no kids yet), new house with a garage and small shop add on, stable job that I enjoy. So, over the thanksgiving week, my father and I loaded up a trailer (which is for sale now ), and the mustang is home now

First things first, shelves for the garage, organization, then evaluation of what needs to be (re)done. Many things I did as a 16-18 year old need a little love or totally redone. But, needless to say, I’m very happy to get back at it, and I hope to have a driving car in another 3 years or so.

The pictures that follow is of the work that I documented since having a digital camera/smart phone. I’ll say it again, I’m self taught….so those out there that think you’re in over your head, I definitely was/am! But I figure I can learn to do just about anything if I will take the time…those pro’s who look at this thread, please comment with any advice/suggestions. I’m always willing to hear from the experienced!

If you made if through that book, you’re either really bored, or a hardcore member. I thank you. I wouldn’t be where I am with this car without this forum. Enjoy the pics that follow (it may take me a day or two to get it all up, having some R&R time over the Christmas/New Year days)

At the time of moving, the work list looks like this:
  • Both full floor pans and seat risers replaced
  • Maier Racing Subframe connectors welded in
  • Front radiator support, crossmember, inner fenderwell (battery side), and strut rod mounts replaced
  • Various small rust areas replaced
  • RH lower quarter panel replaced
  • interior stripped and painted with Zero Rust (needs to be redone)
  • underside stripped, epoxy primed, and painted
  • firewall smoothed, engine bay epoxy primed and painted

The *current* future plans include:
  • SoT front coilover and 3 link rear
  • 408 stroker with supercharger (shooting for 650+ at the wheels)
  • 5 or 6 speed trans
  • Candy Blue with boss 302 blackouts and striping (custom lettering)
  • Cougar Eliminator hood
  • interior design inspired by a racecar

in the words of the joker: "and here....we....go!"
Israel likes this.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Prior work Round 1:
Several issues with the RH quarter panel:

using a borrowed stud gun, I pulled out the fender flare. I got it to what I thought was "close enough" but I'm second guessing myself. Seems like a bad area to rebuild with body filler, so I'm considering doing bigger flares, or cutting out and redoing just this portion with flares from a repro 1/4 panel.

The lower part looked like someone caught a barrier by cutting a turn too tightly. I started to use the stud gun, but decided redoing the lower portion was a better idea.

cut it out and found more rust...yay!

cut it out and made a piece. I had an incredible amount of drop left from re-doing the floors, so that metal has been repurposed in many, many places on this car so far.

some of the wheel well was holier than Christ as well

a vise and a body hammer went a long way here.

Line 'er up, tack 'er in!

finished and primed

I don't think I did too bad for the first cosmetic body panel replacement.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Prior work, Rnd II

I got some more confidence to attack other rust spots. I re-did the tail light panel and repaired a rust hole in the A-pilla r (no pictures ), this one I took good documentation of though:
Inside the driver side door jam, looking towards the back

This was how high (and then some) in the lap the rust went

fabbed panel (more drop from the floor, if I recall)

I saved this piece because it had the body line in it

everything cut out and rebuiding the structural metal

structual side done, weld-thru primer on all the laps

tacked in the piece with the body line

and the custom piece (many stitch welds later....)

in and ground down:

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Prior work, Rnd III

After the panels were replaced, on the rotisserie it went!

I built the rotisserie from some plans I was given from here. I modified them slightly based on what I had access to. My father sourced some bearings that made it rotate super easy. One person could rate the car 360 if they wanted to...and, yes, the ratchet straps were the highly sophisticated locking system

What I had to finish off. also, the super high quality Maier racing subframes. Only bad I can say is it looks like they can limit your rear end options if you want to add custom mounting points. I don't, so it doesn't bother me.

my father playing Vana White to my upside down car...why did we spin it upside down because we could.
This was somewhere in the neighborhood of summer 2009 I suppose

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Prior work, Rnd IV

Now, allow me to strip!

WAIT! that came out wrong.....

Moved the stripping party up front as well.

Eastwood's Epoxy Primer, good stuff. If I were doing it again, I would go with SPI just for cost (and the good reviews here)

I decided on the fly to slick the firewall as well and run the AC lines and wires in the fenderwell, so I took a short deviation from priming to do this, then resumed stripping.

Spot putty for smoothness, and more epoxy primer

Shot in Eastwood's Extreme Chassis black, I like the satin look, personally.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Prior work, Rnd V

Last one for the night.

I found a 9" in my hometown, the guy thought it came out of a torino. for $100 bucks, I couldn't go wrong. He had the both the housing and carrier, but the carrier didn't come with that particular housing because neither had a drain plug, so I added a threaded hole and plug to check and add oil. My boss also swapped rims on his '08 mustang, so I bought the old ones as rollers for another $100, and mocked the rear end in. it satisfied me that I can make this rear end work with proper backspaced wheels. I need to take a tape measure to it and find out exactly how wide it is and make sure.

This was a good day, though. seeing wheels on it in many years did my heart good. At the time I was planning on using a leaf spring set up, I have since sold the springs and plan to go with SoT 3 link in the back.

I also bought some 1970 spindles for the bigger bearings. sandblasted and painted all this with Eastwoods Chassis black as well.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Projects before the Project

Been a a busy several weeks, I haven't done a lick to the mustang because it was still loaded with things from the move. I needed a better stoage solution, so I built some shelves in the back of the garage to house all my parts.

Starting point:

Framed out

I still think chalk lines are one of the coolest inventions known to man. Period.

Finished product, about 50% loaded.

It's good to have the car free to work on now. I vacuumed and wiped all the dust off the other night. Going to accomplish some minor tasks while get the air compressor and lines ran over the net few months.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:57 AM

Nice digs! Wish I had a bug garage to work in. The car looks great though,myounaremaking definite progress.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Garage
Looks great, keep posting the updates!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:04 PM

Very good progress

Tain Peacock
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:32 PM

Great progress and nice car!
I just have 2 suggestions, just to help you out.
1.) If you are planning on running newer style 08 rims like me. See my sig pic. You will have too cut of the rear axle bump flanges on the rear frame rails. These will destroy your tires.
2.) If you plan on using any of the original carb linkage, and trans kick down. I would recommend reinforcing the firewall with a thicker gauge of steel. the sheet metal in this area is thin, and to flexible IMHO. This would be a good and useful improvement to do now.
I did this on the inside of my firewall. It was well worth the effort. In my car. I could see the firewall flex when I pushed on the gas pedal. This was not a good thing.
Keep up the great work, and keep posting pic's. It is very helpful to me and others.
Thanks

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.

Last edited by 1969sag; 01-29-2017 at 01:40 PM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post
Nice digs! Wish I had a bug garage to work in. The car looks great though,myounaremaking definite progress.
Thanks! The garage and small shop area added on the side sold me on the house. Without other cars in there, its a big workspace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidn View Post
Looks great, keep posting the updates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain1234 View Post
Very good progress
Thanks for the encouragement! Eventually I will get back to actually working on the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969sag View Post
Great progress and nice car!
I just have 2 suggestions, just to help you out.
1.) If you are planning on running newer style 08 rims like me. See my sig pic. You will have too cut of the rear axle bump flanges on the rear frame rails. These will destroy your tires.
2.) If you plan on using any of the original carb linkage, and trans kick down. I would recommend reinforcing the firewall with a thicker gauge of steel. the sheet metal in this area is thin, and to flexible IMHO. This would be a good and useful improvement to do now.
I did this on the inside of my firewall. It was well worth the effort. In my car. I could see the firewall flex when I pushed on the gas pedal. This was not a good thing.
Keep up the great work, and keep posting pic's. It is very helpful to me and others.
Thanks
Good stuff. I did kit the bump flanges already. Definitely planning on as wide as possible tires, so I did that before I painted the underside. I'll look into the firewall issues, I'm planning on running an EFI setup. What that will be and look like is yet to be decided, but I will keep that in mind.

If this post does anything, I hope it encourages someone to try this stuff before they throw in the towel. I was told not to attempt body work...now I'm being told not to paint it myself. I'm ok with it not being perfect if I can proudly say I was the only one who did it all.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Good Work - especially the self-taught bit!! Definitely subscribed to this one.
69StangRestomod likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69StangRestomod View Post
...)

The *current* future plans include:
  • SoT front coilover and 3 link rear
  • 408 stroker with supercharger (shooting for 650+ at the wheels)
  • 5 or 6 speed trans
  • Candy Blue with boss 302 blackouts and striping (custom lettering)
  • Cougar Eliminator hood
  • interior design inspired by a racecar

in the words of the joker: "and here....we....go!"

Congrats, very impressive project

I wonder if you'll even need the supercharger though. Even with no supercharger, it seems the transmission and axles will not be able to take all that extra power. Does the rear end have the right gears? Traction LOK? Does it need new seals and/or clutches? How much is your tranny gonna cost that can take all that torque? Perhaps you could use the money you were gonna spend on the supercharger and put it towards the tranny and rear end. Then if you decide you still need the supercharger at some point in the future, the rest of your car will be ready for it.

On a side note, my nephew bought a +600hp Mustang, and sold it within a year after complaining about the rear end breaking loose at +70 mph. At this point in life, I don't think I'd be able to handle breaking the tires loose at 70+ mph, without screwing up sooner or later

Anyways, congrats on a beautiful car, and work so far!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank_It_Up View Post
Congrats, very impressive project

I wonder if you'll even need the supercharger though. Even with no supercharger, it seems the transmission and axles will not be able to take all that extra power. Does the rear end have the right gears? Traction LOK? Does it need new seals and/or clutches? How much is your tranny gonna cost that can take all that torque? Perhaps you could use the money you were gonna spend on the supercharger and put it towards the tranny and rear end. Then if you decide you still need the supercharger at some point in the future, the rest of your car will be ready for it.

On a side note, my nephew bought a +600hp Mustang, and sold it within a year after complaining about the rear end breaking loose at +70 mph. At this point in life, I don't think I'd be able to handle breaking the tires loose at 70+ mph, without screwing up sooner or later

Anyways, congrats on a beautiful car, and work so far!
Thanks! Currently there is no transmission and nothing in the rear end...I'm looking at either a TKO600 or beefed up T56. I'll set the rear end up with some variation of a trac-loc, not sure which or which brand yet, but the 3rd member was sitting in the mud, so it was toast except for the case.

It turns out my 351W block is officially a boat anchor, so I'm looking at having Woody at Ford Strokers get me a short block.

the drive train is still on the long range radar, so the "currently" is a pretty stout caveat on the project as it sits.

Unfortunately the house has had some projects that are taking my time and attention right now, plus my garage isn't heated yet and it's been too cold to start re-priming the interior. I hope when the summer hits I can make some hay with this car again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page