68 Mustang Built - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

68 Mustang Built

I sure read a lot on the forum, tons of great info. I thought it would be great to start a build thread for myself and see if I can get any input from all the smart people out there.

I'm in the middle of preparing for the AJE Colt 65 to arrive. The factory power steering valve was bad so I wasn't able to drive it. The suspension seemed shot as well. The AJE seemed like a nice solution that was future proof as well. Rack and Pinion and new suspension. Ton's of options out there, enough to make your head hurt. One thing I loved about the AJE was I could use the 351w that was already in the car and if I wanted to swap a Coyote later, it seemed to offer that flexibility. I was able to find a set of 99-04 Cobra brakes with spindles for $350 locally and my step-dad helped me refinish them while I was getting the frame rails ready for the AJE's arrival, which is seeming to take forever. In AJE's defense I did order right before Christmas. I also plan to do the electric power steering with a manual rack an pinion. I've been following some of the threads on this forum, but haven't pulled the trigger on parts yet since I still have some time. One thing I am on the fence about is the engine. I have the 351w that was rebuilt ~7000 miles ago from the previous owner in ~2006. There are some oil leaks and the pain is flaking off the block and heads. I also do not get oil in the filter, so obviously an issue. It's at a machine shop now, so that all can be corrected, but the question comes to mind of spending $3500-$4000 on a nice build for the 351w, or look at the 4.6L 3v or Coyote. Of course the latter is more expensive but will be more modern, better MPG, etc. My goal has always been the Coyote, but money is a factor.

I'll up load some pictures, starting with what the car looked like a show a few years ago, not much has changed until I dove into this project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6216_1169485351212_1050302567_30535734_3972_n.jpg (60.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 20170119_205132-COLLAGE.jpg (90.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_113614.jpg (99.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170119_160228.jpg (96.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170120_093634.jpg (98.2 KB, 78 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Garage
good looking car to start with!

1968 Mustang Coupe - work in progress
1965 Ford F100 flareside pickup - daily driver
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Nice project

68 Fastback.
351Windsor, 4sp, 8" 3.40 TracLok
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:25 PM

Very nice looking project you've got there. You'll find a lot of knowledge and help here.

Steve
67 Fastback
(Under Restoration)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:17 AM

Let's see some more pics!

1967 Mustang
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

I have the k-member test fitting right now, that's about it. Next is to trim the rest of the towers and weld in the plates. I had some other projects come up so I haven't been able to focus on the car as much as I would like. I'm building a air compressor shelf to hod a 60 gallon I picked up and I had a new 2-post delivered that I had to install. I'll grab so more pictures and upload them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Mustang View Post
I have the k-member test fitting right now, that's about it. Next is to trim the rest of the towers and weld in the plates. I had some other projects come up so I haven't been able to focus on the car as much as I would like. I'm building a air compressor shelf to hod a 60 gallon I picked up and I had a new 2-post delivered that I had to install. I'll grab so more pictures and upload them.
I'm curious if you end up liking the kit.

As many have said, it looks to be more of a drag oriented front kit. I like that it is light-weight and gives you plenty of motor choices, but I also don't want to be holding my breath every time I hit an aggressive corner.

1967 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page