66' Coupe "Resurrection" - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

17Likes

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:07 AM

That really is jumping in the deep water!

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 AM

Your frame rails are no joke ,Heavy duty stuff. But with a 460 shouldn't be an issue. look forward to seeing more progress pics

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Man, It looks like you are building a real torque monster there...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys! yeah it has been a very scary and rewarding project and starting with such a mess and building it from there makes it that much more satisfying....specially seeing peoples reactions!

Caper50-i wouldn't say I'm not afraid....but i also don't let fear hold me back...what's the fun in that!

2nd 66-The Frame is 2.5"x2.5" box with 1/8" wall, the fish plates are all 1/8" plate. my plan was always to drop a BBF in it and so i had planned to do a lot of chassis stiffening from the start, once i decided to go with the full frame it was a given that id have enough strength to harness the 460. surprisingly after each rail was completed they weighed in at 63lbs each.

Feb 28 2017

I ended up making it out to the garage today and finally tackled the vent cowl....this was a very worrisome section of my build...and with good reason, a bunch of the firewall flange is rotted out swell as the corners of the cowl drains

BUUUUUUT with my "all or nothin" attitude with this build i decided to bust out the plug weld cutter and go to town.....SOOOOOO MANY FLIPPING PLUG WELDS!

the Tuna can is open....as i hold my breathe and hope for the best

PHEW! the lower pan was in excellent condition considering the rest of the car. just a bunch of leaves and sand from my blaster. needless to say this made me very happy!

with the direction i am heading with the car i decided to cut the "top hats" off and cap them with some plate and i will be designing and building and airbox that will actually mount from under the dash and utilize the vent cowl, i tacked them in real good and the seams will be covered with Seam Sealer (What do you all use for brush on Seam Sealer?)

once the top hats were sealed up i decided to repair the rotted corner, with a bunch of individual small pieces trimmed to fit i cut the rot out and added my fabricated patch.

Before

After

next will be patching the left upper corner of the cowl.

the left lower corner of the cowl was just as bad as the right side so it will be nothing to patch that up.

that was my day in a nut shell haha, a lot of sitting and thinking about what i can do to be different than other builds. Tomorrow ill patch the corners and start building a new flange for the upper cowl to replace the plug weld pelted factory flange.

thanks for reading guys
Huntingky and Caper50 like this.

65 Coupe "Burro"...IT HAS BEGUN
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:42 AM

Garage
I'm really interested to see how the air box will work. Freeing up space by removing the fresh air vent on the drivers side will definitely make wiring easier as well.

Are you not installing a heater though? The heater utilizes the passenger side cowl opening.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
I'm really interested to see how the air box will work. Freeing up space by removing the fresh air vent on the drivers side will definitely make wiring easier as well.

Are you not installing a heater though? The heater utilizes the passenger side cowl opening.
currently i have no plans to install a heater, as the build progresses i may come up with some other plan

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svn96 View Post
currently i have no plans to install a heater, as the build progresses i may come up with some other plan
I see snow in your first pic! That's why I was asking. I look forward to watching your built progress.

It's great you're saving such a thrashed car. And it lets you modify it without fear of destroying it's originality.
Caper50 likes this.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 PM

Garage
This whole build is certifiably insane. I dig it!

What are your plans for it after you get the chassis squared away? Pro touring? Street freak?
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
This whole build is certifiably insane. I dig it!

What are your plans for it after you get the chassis squared away? Pro touring? Street freak?
up here in Alberta Canada we don't have any road courses for cars so basically its a just a build for ME, i have a passion for mustangs and i love raw power, it will be a daily driver that i can take to car shows, test and tunes at the local drag strip and just an all around monster mustang. my focus on the build is to make 1 car that can do it all.

post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
I see snow in your first pic! That's why I was asking. I look forward to watching your built progress.

It's great you're saving such a thrashed car. And it lets you modify it without fear of destroying it's originality.
yeah we get plenty of snow up here in Canada but it won't be a winter car

post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

March 3 2017

well a little progress this week between interviews and dad stuff haha.

went to my local Pick-N-Pull looking for some viable steering knuckles when suddenly i spotted a gem! 2008 Crown Victoria with massive front end damage but perfect Knuckles! it was a chore as i got everything dismantled and realized the ball joint nuts were 24mm...not a big deal except the biggest wrench i had in my junk yard tool kit was a 22mm stubby ran to the tool shop, grabbed one and raced back. was all worth it though, ended up getting charged for hubs not knuckles so the pair (as you see them below with hubs, knuckles) cost me $30.00

that took most of the day by the time we browsed the potential at the wreckers so when i got home i had a little bit of time before i had to grab the kids from daycare so i decided to slam out the other cowl corner (the 2nd one is much easier once you know what your doing lol)

Caper50 likes this.

post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

March 6? or 7? 2017 the days have become one

not much progress in the last few days but i went out tonight and rebuilt the drivers windshield lower corner it was super rotted but nothing a little sheet metal and tin bashing can't fix!

Before:

rust cut out and my hand formed patch tacked in:

After:

and now for a couple hours sleep until the kids wake up and then i am planning to patch the firewall to floor pan!

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svn96 View Post
I ended up making it out to the garage today and finally tackled the vent cowl....this was a very worrisome section of my build...and with good reason, a bunch of the firewall flange is rotted out swell as the corners of the cowl drains

.....SOOOOOO MANY FLIPPING PLUG WELDS!

PHEW! the lower pan was in excellent condition considering the rest of the car.
lol....I lost count of the spot welds on mine. That lower cowl was in a LOT better condition than mine.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

March 8, 2017

not much today except i added a new daily driver to the stable...had to sell the big Diesel F350 and downsize a bit. who says downsizing can't be a little fun?!?!?!

any way i attacked the drivers firewall-floor this evening.

Before:

After:

I still have to grind down and blend the welds but i was working off an hr sleep from last night so I'm blasted.

I went online today and summed up all the sheet metal i would have purchased if i hadn't hand made it all myself and so far I would have spent roughly $1500-$2000 all the sheet metal i have used so far (and i still have plenty more) has cost me a total of $175.99.

Also just for fun i threw in a Jeep Cherokee Seat i had lying around from a buddies build, just to sit in there and feel the car taking shape was a huge pick me up!

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:26 PM

Wow I just went threw your whole thread. Great workI just pick a 65 over the weekend and going threw it with a fine tooth comb after I got it home I was like what did I get into?!?!?! But I am not one to shy a way from a project. I just hope I have enough fab talent as you do, so I don't have to replace something that can be saved. I plan on sticking a hopped up 302 in it eventually but for now I'm going to tune up the 289 and run that. Hoping to get the car road worthy by the summer. I don't mind driving it even if it's ugly in the mean time. Looking forward to more posts Love all the pictures since the big words confuse me Lol... Whay gauge metal are you using for all the patch repairs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page