66' Coupe "Resurrection" - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

17Likes

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambam0417 View Post
Wow I just went threw your whole thread. Great workI just pick a 65 over the weekend and going threw it with a fine tooth comb after I got it home I was like what did I get into?!?!?! But I am not one to shy a way from a project. I just hope I have enough fab talent as you do, so I don't have to replace something that can be saved. I plan on sticking a hopped up 302 in it eventually but for now I'm going to tune up the 289 and run that. Hoping to get the car road worthy by the summer. I don't mind driving it even if it's ugly in the mean time. Looking forward to more posts Love all the pictures since the big words confuse me Lol... Whay gauge metal are you using for all the patch repairs?
you will have fun with it Bam, just be patient if your unsure about forming a piece of sheet or you welding just test it on a piece off the car, practice practice practice. there is a lot to learn as you go and with a build like this there is never a fail or a screwup theres only learning and trial.

as for the sheet metal I'm using i am basically just picking up small cutoffs from my local steel warehouse, for the floors or any structural sheet metal like tubs and the firewall i am using 11ga (1/8") for general sheet such as the tub sides and non-structural I'm using 16ga (1/16").

65 Coupe "Burro"...IT HAS BEGUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

well after a little while of job hunting and what not I got back at my happiness

so first off i wanted to finish and patch the passenger side firewall

All ground down and ready to go

so i finally ordered my my rear quarters buuuuut 2 weeks away from Dynacorn so on to other sheet metal hahaha

so i have been looking at the side kick panels and contemplating, patch or replace? i took the flapper disk to them and they really weren't too bad so i opted to save myself the couple under dollars and simply patch them. so today was the drivers side.

First was to cut away the cancer, it was very minor..ish, and also a little nugget on the bead rolled section.

with the patch panels fabricated up and test fit and trimmed and fit and trimmed and FINALLY fit the last time, the welding began

and finally ground down and cleaned up

Tonight will be the passenger side kick panel and Top vent cowl and then back onto the rear end to tidy everything up for the anticipated arrival of my Dynacorn Quarters.

Last edited by Svn96; 03-20-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

well i started a new job so i have had less time for the mustang

i finished the passenger kick panel and tied everything up to the firewall.

After that i buffed the lower cowl down and sprayed it with a rust inhibiting chassis coating

while the coating was drying i repaired the rotted parts on the top cowl.

So i have been planning and deliberating going back and forth with what to do for a fresh air intake and the vent cowl bars. i designed an airbox and looked it over, with the fact that ill need a cowl hood of some sort to clear the big block it was decided after doing some cardboard and fan tests haha that the intake on the vent cowl would basically be ineffective. so what to do with the grille

after a lot of thinking i opted to smooth them out and fill them in

i have been playing around with silicon bronze filler with the TIG and being that it is extremely flexible and very receptive to low heat thin steel it stitched up well

after tacking them in i decided to do full welds.

it turned out great, until i placed the cowl on the car and noticed my catastrophic mistake! i was so excited with how the tacked pieces turned out that i did full welds back to back (i knew better and am hating myself for it) with all the heat being pumped into the cowl it ended up warping and making a mess of the sheet metal!

you can see in this picture the sunken cowl...im very upset with this lack of thinking on my part and I'm trying to decide what to do next, and seeing as how i can't find a replacement upper cowl without being the upper and lower complete I'm leaning towards clamping the heck out of it and cutting the entire top off and then simply patching the sunken section...

with that huge mistake on my mind i needed to clear my head before losing it completely...what better way than some retail therapy!? i ended up finding these seats on my local buy/sell for $100 for the pair. they came off a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. i wasn't sure how they would look in the car but after getting them and placing them in the car i was please with the look.

i had planned on a lot more progress this week but unfortunately my Quarter panels and trunk trim never showed up hopefully they will arrive next week

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:25 AM

Just read through your build, pretty intense stuff. What part of Alberta are you in ? Starting see a few of us with builds going on.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangnet33 View Post
Just read through your build, pretty intense stuff. What part of Alberta are you in ? Starting see a few of us with builds going on.
i am in the Edmonton Area

post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

well i had a good solid last week on Resurrection, things are starting to take shape and come together.

i ended up cutting out the upper cowl section and did up a solid patch for it. i was VERY pleased with the outcome.

and finally all welded up and the cowl re-welded onto the car.

FINALLY my quarters showed up, they were in Calgary (3hrs south of me) and the shop wanted $140.00 to ship them a buddy called me and said he was coming up on Saturday and said he would bring them up to me! JACKPOT!

also on Saturday my Father dropped of a Mickey Thompson Street ET 315 that i got from a guy for $100 it was used but the price was right and it still had tits on it. i was very happy with the way the 315s fit in my tubs. and i have plenty of room to spare

today was too wet to work so i spent the day in the garage mounting the quarter panels.

i also have the trunk floors and the valance to go in. but i ran into some issues fitting the valance, there seems to be a very large gap between the quarter panel and the valance, has anyone else had issues mounting the valances? can anyone post some pics for me to see how they are supposed to sit?

super stoked to see it all taking shape.

Cheers guys
FRC928 likes this.

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 PM

I ended up buying 2 rear valance panels. First one was 1/2" to short side to side and the 2nd was 1/4" too short. I fixed the 2nd one by welding a 1/8" steel rod on each edge. Also the mounting tabs that bolted to the quarters had be drilled out and relocated. Fits like a glove now. Check page 11 on my build thread.

Last edited by Caper50; 04-25-2017 at 06:23 PM.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
I ended up buying 2 rear valance panels. First one was 1/2" to short side to side and the 2nd was 1/4" too short. I fixed the 2nd one by welding a 1/8" steel rod on each edge. Also the mounting tabs that bolted to the quarters had be drilled out and relocated. Fits like a glove now. Check page 11 on my build thread.
thanks Caper, your valance looks great!

So what i did was nip the top of the bracket off to get it closer in, after that i massaged the panel a bit and ended up getting it to fit quite nicely, my plan is to weld it up and smooth it out

with the lower valance Cleco'd in place i slipped the taillight panel in and cleco'd that, everything fits SO nice and i am super super pumped to see the car taking shape!

next on the list is to finally tie the tubs into the quarter panels.

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM

Hey you got it on the run now. It's going to be a nice feeling of accomplishment to have the back end and the tubs all welded in, I'll bet. Even a nicer feeling putting the old girl down on 4 wheels.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
Hey you got it on the run now. It's going to be a nice feeling of accomplishment to have the back end and the tubs all welded in, I'll bet. Even a nicer feeling putting the old girl down on 4 wheels.
ill be one step closer soon...just ordered a QP axle housing!
Caper50 likes this.

post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

well it has been nearly a month and i have had a lot of progress with resurrection.

once the quarters were set and cleco'd in i made up the outer half of the wheel wells and filler sections down to the well edge and the rocker panel to tie everything together.

added some flat primer as this will be the last time the inner panel will be seen

another issue was always the outer rocker skin, now i could easily just order the outer skins at $250 per side. but that just wouldn't be in resurrection fashion. so i cut the rotted pieces out and used some 18ga sheet and the english wheel and rolled up some patches.

as the tubs were now finished i was itching to weld the quarters up....until i remembered that i still had to fit the trunk which i had suspicions of being bent. and yeah...its bent, now to ponder whether i try to straighten this one or buy a new one.

so with that on my mind i finished mounting it and decided to do some seam sealer, i wasn't sure what to use so i got stuff in a tube aswell as brush on. i used the brush on here and it worked great. i also seam sealed the tubs.

UPS showed up on Monday with a single box for me.... drum roll please.........

i was debating what to do for a rear end the lack of 31 splines here was disturbing so i ended up making an impulse order with Quick Performance and got a new fabricated 9" pre built to my width needs (48" axle flange to axle flange) with the pinion centered. when it showed up (1.5 weeks after order! wow it was fast) i was VERY pleased with the end product

this now gave me a chance to set my tire to my desired ride height and be able to start bathing the rear suspension.

with the math sorted it was time for 4-link mounts and the actual links, all the mounts are 1/4" plate, the links are 1.5" DOM with 1/4" wall, the hiems came from Barnes 4WD and are 3/4" shank with 1/2" misalignment spacers.

Front lower mounts

I have made a lot of progress with this car, there have been many times that i have 2nd guessed just what the heck i got myself into, but its times like this when i look back at what I've done what I've learned and where its at that I'm proud of it all!.

up next will be
-fabricating the trunk floor and design my gas tank.
-ordering my rear airbags and shocks, build bag mounts and get the housing tied up to the frame.
-getting axles on the way so i can mock up wheels.
-start fabrication the subframe and get the engine and trans mocked up for mounts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page