66' Coupe "Resurrection" - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

66' Coupe "Resurrection"

Hey there VMF!

I have actually had this 66' Coupe for about a year now and have been slowly working on it. this is my first build and just now getting to putting together a build thread. the back story on this "car" was fairly sad, the car was in a minor accident which pealed the front drivers side like a tin can. a local high school teacher had purchased it for the schools mechanics program. unfortunately this was actually the larger demise than the accident, the students tore into it like Rosie O'Donnell into a bag of cheezits. a friend of mine was helping his uncle clean up their property and came across a car under a tarp, he immediately knew what it was and called me "Hey Adam you want a 60s mustang?" i said yes without hesitation, as it turns out his uncle had bought it from the teacher as the school closed and totally forgot about the car but agreed to sell it to me. when i showed up with my truck and trailer we drug it out of the bush and agreed on a whopping $200.00 (Canadian) and upon signing the bill of sale the adventure has begun!

Feb 20, 2016..

the Mustang came home

with it in the stable i could start assessing the damage the front clip was missing and the rear quarters had been hacked up. also the rear passenger side of the roof took a hit and caused a rather nasty dent

It was very evident that the drivers side was the brunt of the accident

and when they gave up on the car they stuffed everything inside.

upon cleaning out the car it was clear that i bit off a huge chunk, but the challenge is the fun, the school had cut out both floor pans without marking them so i had to do a lot of work there.

from the back it wasn't so bad...sort of haha

this was nearly everything that was INSIDE the car

65 Coupe "Burro"...IT HAS BEGUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

March 7, 2017

Slow progress but such as life as a single dad.

I popped all the windows out and pulled trim and various little things off

I then focused on the tree dent on the back passenger corner of the trunk, i wanted to be sure this could be cleaned up before i made a decision to cut it out and make a patch for it.

I was very pleased with myself on how this came out as i have never done body work before so i was going off you tube videos and kind of just winging it.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

March 9 2016.

in the Interest of investigating the car more i decided to pull the rear quarters off and was pleasently surprised that there wasn't much for non repairable cancer back there.

though it did reveal a rather badly rotted trunk.. so a few more pieces were added to my shopping list

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 PM

Welcome to the forum, you are wasting no time in getting in to your project. Looking forward to following along. Btw, where you located?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

March 10, 2016

it was a LOOOONG night as i kept working till this morning. last night the suspension came out as i found a buyer for it all so now the project went from costing me $200.00 to now EARNING me $500.00 (i sold the factory suspension for $700.00)

then i found this nastiness, Guess a frame patch is on the list

I also took the interior apart and inspected the firewall and dash

I took a few hours of fresh air and ran to the local Princess Auto, they had a 5 gallon gravity fed sand blaster on sale for $24.99 so i figured what the heck. little did i know this would lead to another long shift on the old Mustang.

once the Mustang was Quarantined the work began

and on that note...it was bed time!

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
Welcome to the forum, you are wasting no time in getting in to your project. Looking forward to following along. Btw, where you located?
hey there Caper! I'm in Alberta

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I got called away for work for a long time and after that ended up losing my job so i had a fairly big gap in progress.

August 20 2016

got home today to find a package from Mustang Shop on my door step! i had ordered the panels for the trunk and tail light panels no time to waste it was time to try them out

Cleecos are the most awesome test fit item i have ever discovered!

August 22 2016,

i did some running around today, ended up Selling the factory 289 with transmission and then side tripped on my way home and picked up this lil beauty... YEAH....thats a 460ci Big Block! that trade included a brand new Comp Cam and lifters

when i got to the guys house to grab the 460 i saw a Ford 9" laying in the back of his shop...ended up trading him a chewed out factory Chevy 350 so DING another win!

upon arriving home i found that my best friend had a little surprise in the garage

WHAT A DAY!!
Caper50 and Turnall like this.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

August 23 2016.

Progress has become small but still progressing (job hunting puts a damper on car building)
started stripping the paint on the car to see exactly what i had there, ended up looking phenomenal compared to expectations! a few little rust spots here and there but overall it was nice to see clean tin

it was about 12:00am when i decided i was satisfied seeing bare steel and switched my squirrels brain to the floor pans, it was about this time i decided to actually focus on a game plan so the floor pans were the start of the sensible plan!

^^ told you i was hooked on Cleecos!

once i Cleecoed the pans in i marked them (unlike the students did when they chopped the floors out) then pre-cut the tunnel with my die cutter.

then test fit and did the final cut with my Plasma

this is where i skipped a step...on the drivers pan i cut with the die grinder exactly where the line was...BIG rookie mistake, i ended up having large gaps but with a bigger TIG rod i was able to make the welds work regardless, on the passenger side i took it slower and ended up test fitting 4 times and getting the gaps a lot closer.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

August 24 2016

Ended up leaving the Garage at 4:45am so after 2 hrs sleep and getting the kids to daycare i headed back to the garage and began welding the pans in. i started TIG welding about 2 months prior so i was still learning

TACKS TACKS TACKS So many TACKS!

After 12 solid hours of welding the pans now live in the Mustang!

Caper50 likes this.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

another big hole in my Progress plan, i started picking up some small jobs here and there and they kept me busy. i also ended up taking in a street stray, my buddy has a 69' Impala that he was in over his head so a buddy and i have been working on that

October 1 2016

well my buddies 69 impala left a wheel laying under my Mustang so naturally it made its way to be mocked up under the car and this made me decide that 17" wheels were going to be my size.

So for that last while after finding that cancer on the front subframe i have been going back and forth on my plan moving forward and the direction i wanted to go, after ALOT of planning and deciding and second guessing myself i ended up pulling the trigger and i decided to build my own subframe rather than buy and off the shelf unit. so i measured everything and then chopped the front subframe off.

after that was done i took down the rust and paint on the firewall and found that my tin bashing will get LOTS of practice.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

January 22 2016

alright so i spent a ton of time designing and thinking up my subframe, well this sort of escalated a little bit

i ended up deciding to build a complete frame, but not your standard complete 66' Stang frame, i decided to keep the car low and the frame at standard height. so i cut into my pans and Channeled the frame, i tried googling this and have yet to find another 66' channeled so i was really shooting from the hip here.

the frame has been measured, tacked, changed, re tacked, welded and test fit...
Huntingky and Caper50 like this.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Feburary 4 2017

the frame got the final test fit and then i started fish plating.

once the fish plates were all welded up i pumped the frame rails up into place, once there i got my measurements for the rear seat humps and where i needed to add rails to follow that contour.

once the brakes were cut and shaved to fit flawlessly i welded them in.

Caper50 likes this.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Febuary 14 2017

with most of the frame built it was time to gusset it up so the frame stayed square.

After everything was tied together i took the plunge and cut the factory wheel wells out. now with the suspension i am planning and the fact i wanted to run 315s as daily runners but still have the adaptability to run drag tires swell i decided to tub it out, with the factory wells being slightly rotted i decided to build my own tubs.

i started with forming the 32" diameter by 9" wide fenders and built off them.

Caper50 likes this.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

February 16, 2017

Once the new tubs were welded, ground down and flapper disked, i made some mounting plates and tacked everything in. i left a 1/4" gap in between the inner wheel well and the outside of the new frame rails to allow space for movement and body flex and the trunk pan will then butt up against them. overall the tubs "SHOULD" be about 17" wide, i don't have my outer quarters yet so ill know forsake once i order them and get them in place.

once the tubs were tacked in place i was able to measure and form the fender extensions with the english wheel (english wheels are actually french for "Learning Curve") and welded the extensions in place

Febuary 22 2017,

had a few days off with sick kiddos anyway
With the extensions completed and welded in i was able to design and start re-building the rear floor pans, with some experience with my english wheel and some fresh tin i was VERY happy with the outcome!

8hrs in and i now have new rear floor pans and extensions in.

Feburary 23 2017

as i was working on the rear pans and extensions i realized the passenger pans were scary flimsy..i was still unsure on the frame direction i was going, wether to weld the body to the frame or bolt it in. i was debating this for a LONG time, given the lack of stability with the pans i decided to box in the frame and bolt the body to the frame.

and the cabin floor is now complete.

Feburary 24 2017

this brings us to the most recent completion and up to date.

that Axle i got ages ago turns out to be much to wide at 59.5" flange to flange, so that put a huge stop to my Rear suspension, i did find a guy to buy my 9" and another with a narrowed 9" which measures 51" hub to hub. so i am just waiting for him to pull it from his car.

oh and just to cheese my buddy (guy with the 69' impala) off i took a picture of the impala wheel mocked up under the Stang.

so with that its the last year of my build summed up....stay tuned for many many many more updates.
Rabidus and Caper50 like this.

Last edited by Svn96; 02-27-2017 at 10:23 PM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:07 AM

Man you are not afraid of a little work! Very nice progress so far, though I was kind of disappointed I have to wait to see more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page