Vintage Mustang Forums banner

68 Coupe. Just another restomod.

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Lightning 
#1 ·
Hello. My name is Matthew. Just signed up, and I wanted a spot to document things.

I got this 68 about a month ago, and we'll, I had quite a bit of hope for it. When it arrived, I started noticing things that i didn't before.

Started accumulating parts last weekend. and already I'm starting to get a bit more motivation. Just got a straight frame for the front end, freeIng it up from the old chassis today.

More pictures to come.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Beside the Stang sits my very first car. 1970 Nova. she say sat in a field for 8 years before I got her at the age of 16. I drove it until I was 22. Sold it to my parents, who parked it under a tree for 9 years. I got it back in my possession summer before last. I got title in trade for a new exhaust for my dad's corvette. Since then, I've replaced thr floors, both cabin and trunk, wheel wells, trunk extension panels, conversion panel, tail light panel, rebuilt the engine, got a new transmission, and worked the 12 bolt rear end to be a 4:11 full spool with strange axles.

On to the mustang . Got the new frame free of th garbage steel. pulling off the suspension and steering components here in a little bit. Then comes the removal of the drivetrain. Won't get any sleep tonight. But when you have folks helping. kinda have to work until they wanna stop.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

#8 ·

The last picture was a celebratory beer and smoke after I got home with the car. Not only did I think it was going to take a few days to get it to start. I wasn't expecting the brakes or the clutch to work.

it took 3 hours to get it running. so we took it for a drive. after we rigged up a radiator and "secured" the front valance.

On my way home, I was stopped by Sherrifs on the easement road : READ Zero enforceable laws on a private road.

They were nice enough to let me off with a warning... considering that the driver's side had no fender, all the lights forward of the firewall were missing, no hood, the front bumper was attached by plumbers grounding straps, the tabs expired in 2003, and the wheels were flipping flopping around like a sheet in the wind. The officer made me promise to not let it leave under it's its own power until it was safe to drive. And I did.

Turns out that the wheels flipping around bit had to do with bent ball joints as well as a compressed, bent and twisted tie rod end. I will be hanging those parts on the wall.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.