1966 Mustang Convertible Restomod Coyote Build - Page 5 - Vintage Mustang Forums

18Likes

post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Pedal Box

Disassembled, media blasted, and installed the Scott Drake clutch pedal roller bearing rebuild kit C5ZZ-2478-RBMK. Last, primed, painted, and better than new. I guess Ford never painted the pedal box, hence why it was so rusty.

I had to slot the two bolt slots on the dash about a 1/8 of an inch, simple, but otherwise everything aligned. Temporarily bolted in for now.

I mounted the Coyote gas pedal, which is included with the engine control pack. It is a drive by wire setup. The accelerator bracket that you see is made by Mustangs To Fear. The alignment and height looks good. I still need to figure out a way to mount the upper and lower coyote harness clutch switches. Allocating a couple of missing bolts.

Mustangs to Fear Mustang Parts Catalog - Select a Year

Last edited by image98; 05-16-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
Disassembled, media blasted, and installed the Scott Drake clutch pedal roller bearing rebuild kit C5ZZ-2478-RBMK. Last, primed, painted, and better than new. I guess Ford never painted the pedal box, hence why it was so rusty.

I mounted the Coyote gas pedal, which is included with the engine control pack. It is a drive by wire setup. The accelerator bracket that you see is made by Mustangs To Fear. The alignment and height looks good. I still need to figure out a way to mount the upper and lower coyote harness clutch switches. Allocating a couple of missing bolts.

Mustangs to Fear Mustang Parts Catalog - Select a Year
Thanks for the picture. I was just looking at that on the MTF page and wondering how it mounted and looked.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Power Brakes

Iíd really like to go with a power break setup. With such limited space, it seams that a hydroboost may be the only real viable option for my application? Iíve seen an electric brake assist setup. I think I have a vendor onboard with developing a new product for my application. This will allow me to keep a stock pedal box, stock pedal ratio, and stock firewall.

Pictured is a Wilwood Tandem master cylinder with a 1Ē bore. Itís my understanding that Hydroboosts are available in three flavors: Ford, early model GM, and late model GM. Wilwood master cylinders bolt to a late model GM. I borrowed my fatherís GM hydroboost for measurements to forward to a vendor. The research continues.

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mass Air

Jumpimg around a bit as parts arrive and engineering continues. The Coyote engine uses 3.5Ē outside diameter tubing for the mass air. I explored a number of pre existing kits, which, like the stock Ford setup, run the cold air towards the driver side. However, I wanted to utilize the vacant area originally occupied by the battery on the passenger side. I ordered a handful of mass air components from Spectre performance and configured my own setup.

https://www.spectreperformance.com/c...?cat=C00000271

Spectre Performance flex coupler 9575 mounted to the throttle body. Spectre makes a customizable support bracket kit 8701 and mass air sensor 9924011 mount that is designed to be welded onto a tube. Ford recommends placing the MAFS between 6 to 24 inches upstream from the of the throttle body to avoid transient lean/rich spikes. Spectre recommended a 6Ē diameter HPR9886 series camp-on air filter with 9603 air inlet adapter for the Coyote. I still need to cut and mount the MAFS, but it is coming together. I may trim an inch off the L tube end attached to the flex coupler. I still need to drill and attach vacuum fittings and make some tweaks, but good enough to see where I can route power steering and AC hoses. I still need to run and locate vacuum for the EFI pressure regulator, catch can, and CMCV valves (2).

Pulled the mass air sensor from the factory mass air kit, which is included with the engine control pack.
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Air Conditioning

I mounted the Vintage Air conditioning evaporator under the dash and condenser in front of the radiator. I drew up a diagram as I attempt to make sense of the liquid, suction, and high-pressure lines. Electric fans require a trinary switch. Since the compressor is mounted on the passenger side, Vintage Air instructed me to cut and modify my hose kit. I will be removing the engine for paint, so Iím only going as far as to cut and fit my AC and heater lines.

The service ports are going to be on the #10 and #8 of the compressor ports.

Since my radiator is wider than stock, I had to deviate from the instructions and drill through the radiator support and shift the condenser core and hardlines towards the passenger side about two inches.

Evaporator mounted.

Followed the instructions to modify my dash control panel.

Blacked out chrome.

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/901053.pdf

1965-66 Mustang Control Panel Conversion Kit Instructions

Downloads - www.vintageair.com

Vintage Air Kit Instructions Page

http://www.vintageair.com/AC%20Basic...%204.23.15.pdf

Functions of the AC system components.
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Custom pedals

Ordered cnc aluminum pedals from SRPracing. They offer dozens of designs made from machined billet aluminum and offer a variety of finishes. I went with their grid design in anodized black. They allowed me to order 64-66 clutch and brake pedal with a 2015 Mustang gas pedal. I love vendors who offer custom products like this for the home garage builders without all the logos. There are endless creative possibilities.

Sullivan Racing Products. Mustang

Blue Blood and Huntingky like this.

Last edited by image98; 05-23-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Those pedal pads are QUITE nice...along with everything else you've got going on for this build.
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black68coupe View Post
Those pedal pads are QUITE nice...along with everything else you've got going on for this build.
Thank you for your kind words. What did builders do before the internet, Ebay, and forums? As a kid, I remember getting up at the break of dawn with my Dad, walking swap meets, and talking with builders.
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words. What did builders do before the internet, Ebay, and forums? As a kid, I remember getting up at the break of dawn with my Dad, walking swap meets, and talking with builders.
I grew up in a town 50 miles away from the nearest stop light - not a lot of car shows going on and the only stuff at the local mechanics' were old work trucks. So, even SEEING a nice car was an occasion, much less getting to talk to anyone.
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I love vendors who offer custom products like this for the home garage builders without all the logos. There are endless creative possibilities.
Totally agree, bad enough for the high prices but also means you're paying them to do their advertising jmt
image98 likes this.
post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Heater Lines

I ordered the stock 2015 Mustang Heater lines, but I discovered that they would not be applicable to my build. First, there much clearance between the manifold and the firewall. Second, I would need to install a heater control valve (required for AC) between the engine outlet and evaporator box. Third, according to Ford, there must be a constant flow of radiator fluid between the left and right Coyote heads, which can be impeded when a heater control valve is used (for AC). Thus, I decided to draft up custom heater lines using my Aeroquip Starlight 12 AN hose and 5/8 elbows. Attached is a photograph of my third attempt at an assembly. Iíll trim the front bypass hoses for a more compact fit and swap out the hose clamps for something a little more visually pleasing like anodized black fittings.

2015 Mustang factory heater hoses. These could work if I went with firewall bulkhead fittings, and put the heater control valve under the dash, but I would rather keep everything accessible within the engine bay.

OEM factory heater hose Quick-Lok fittings.

The most compact and short 5/8Ē 90 degree heater hose connector that I could find.

Test fitting the carbon fiber engine cover. Iím not a big fan of all the plastic at the back of the manifold, but at least the heater control valve is accessible and blends in with the CMCV stuff. One more revision and I should be there.
Huntingky likes this.
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 AM

I will probably reference this post a lot when I go to set my engine and figure out the heater/AC setup.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page