restostang289's restoration/build thread: - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

17Likes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Great pics, good story and it looks to be a pretty solid car.

I'm with Dan on this one. Coyote motors are great and all, but the supporting mods necessary are huge. By all means, dive in if you're prepared from a fabrication, time and budget stand point, but I wouldn't do it. You can get 9/10ths of the way there on performance with a decent stroker small block in probably less than half the time. I'm all for modifying cars, especially cars that aren't super-rare like your coupe, but it would make me feel yucky to wipe out the shock towers on my grandpa's car. Maybe that's just me.
I am on board! Should I do a rebuild or a crate blueprint motor? I am definitely open to not spending the extra time and money so I respect and value any and all input. I am definitely not set on one way or another which is why I am excited to be a part of this forum now. It is extremely nice to have a backing of people that have been working on these vehicles for years and have experience and knowledge to show for it.

The full suspension set up, and I mean full, will cost me almost 13k just for the parts. That is for pretty much all Total Control suspensions products they make for the 65 coupe. I have been reading so many posts and so many reviews that my mind is going crazy! I am very indecisive and want to do this the right way and not cut any corners and not have any regrets or have the "man, I wish I woulda done..." So I change my mind like I change my underwear.

I need some input on what to do.
> I want to do a full upgraded suspension and was hoping to do full a coilover conversion. I know that is easier to accomplish on the front than it is on the rear.
> I also don't know if I should fix/rebuild the 4spd in it or just plop a T5 in there.
> I don't know if doing a stroker/roller swap is better or rebuilding and if I do I don't know if I should do efi or just stick with a carb...

I want the car modern and reliable, but I also love the "simplicity" of the car as it was in the 60's. I want something fast, but also reliable and still a daily... My wife wants to kill me since I am constantly running through all the options with her. I'm pretty sure she really couldn't care less

Decisions, decisions! Help me!

1965 289 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 PM

I'm going to try and cool your jets a bit. Not because you're doing anything wrong but maybe because you might want to rethink this car. If it's grandpa's and "the family's", why not just rebuild the engine, go back basically stock and leave it intact?

THEN buy just any ole coupe and have at it the way you want to do it...no grief from the family (and no need to spend the money your talking on grandpa's car) and then you can have your own for some kid one day to say, hey this bad *** ride was grandpa's (you)...

Just a thought. But I'll be up front, your car, do as you wish...I'm cheering for you no matter which way you go!!

Allen
happystang and restostang289 like this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restostang289 View Post
I have two little girls and work a full-time job so time is not easy to come by. This is going to require a lot of late nights and long weekends. But I am excited for every minute I get to spend doing it.
One thing to consider...the bigger the mods, the more time it will take. I'm 15 months into what I thought was going to be a 2 year project. I think I have about 2 years left and I'm not doing anything on the front of my car that requires major mods. I have a 347/t5 in another car (FFR Cobra) and it's a blast to drive.

Whichever route you go with your car, we'll be here to watch, give you our 2cents, and help you spend your money.
restostang289 likes this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 PM

Personally, I'd throw the Coyote idea out the window. It's too costly and requires major reconstruction of the front end for not much performance gain. I've walked many Coyote mustangs with my original pushrod 302.

If you want power, consider building your 289 into a stroker motor. The 289 and 302 blocks are identical, either can be built into a 331 or 347. There are lots of advantages to sticking with your block, one of which is space as the '65 engine bay is extremely tight as it is. Another advantage? You already have it

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Boom! See, this is exactly why I'm excited to be on the forum. I love the input and suggestions. I'm going to 86 the coyote. Doesn't sound like it's worth the agony. I'm definitely leaning to the idea of building my og engine. That being said I will need a lot of help from you guys.

@Turnall - I completely get your point. I think I will go with a hybrid of your idea. All of you have already helped the decision process TREMENDOUSLY!
Turnall likes this.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Body: 65A
Color: K
Trim: D5
Date: 12U
DSO: 51
Axle: 6
Trans: 5
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Too tired to do a whole lot tonight. Pulled off the front wheels and drained the oil.

The engine is pretty nasty...

I wanted to get the passenger door glass out and the door off. But there was not a lot of room and I was too tired to love everything around.

The interior is crowded at the moment

Figured I'd grab a few shots of some of the repairs needed.

The windows are nasty

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got some help tonight!

I got the passenger door disassembled and taken off as well as the passenger front fender

These piles are out of control and need to be brought under some control...

Caper50 likes this.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, found this little gem...
https://youtu.be/r9XTjkO1IZA
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 AM

Holy sludge fest batman! That engine is full of tar!!

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker
Finally completed- working on last bugs....
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66/93project View Post
Holy sludge fest batman! That engine is full of tar!!
It's nasty! I don't know how it even ran with all that in there.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM

A few thoughts on this,

1) If you're Grandmother is funding this, your Primary should be what SHE wants. From your opening post, it does not sound like she wanted a full-on restomod ? I would run any modifications past her before going too far. I have an early A-code/289/4-speed bought from the original owner, and intend to make only reversible bolt-on modifications. You can still do a lot, Hot motor, upgraded factory style suspension, 5-speed, etc. I'm setting aside the original engine/trans so I can put in a drivetrain I don't have to worry about ruining!

2) If you are doing this all yourself, including rust repairs, it can already be a massive undertaking, even before attempting custon suspension and engine installations. Many projects already end up unfinished. Especially for your first restoration effort, I would keep it simple.
image98 and restostang289 like this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip

Last edited by stephen_wilson; 04-20-2017 at 10:50 AM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
A few thoughts on this,

1) If you're Grandmother is funding this, your Primary should be what SHE wants. From your opening post, it does not sound like she wanted a full-on restomod ? I would run any modifications past her before going too far. I have an early A-code/289/4-speed bought from the original owner, and intend to make only reversible bolt-on modifications. You can still do a lot, Hot motor, upgraded factory style suspension, 5-speed, etc. I'm setting aside the original engine/trans so I can put in a drivetrain I don't have to worry about ruining!

2) If you are doing this all yourself, including rust repairs, it can already be a massive undertaking, even before attempting custon suspension and engine installations. Many projects already end up unfinished. Especially for your first restoration effort, I would keep it simple.
Thank you for your advice/input! I have had several conversions over my lifetime with both my Grandfather and Grandmother about the mustang. I have loved it since I was a little boy and due to those conversations throughout my life my Grandfather had no question on if he should hand this down to me or his other grandsons. This car will be a part of my family for many generations to come. My Grandmother is helping fund the project because she is excited to be a part of it. Although she is helping fund she is definitely not funding the entire project. Even if she wasn't funding it at all I would still only do what she approved to do. If she said bring it back to stock only, that is exactly what I would do. With or without her fund. I have gone over all plans with her and she is very excited about it as is my mother and father. Fortunately for me the rest of my family outside of my parents don't actually care about the car so there is no stress about what needs to be done with it so that no one is upset.

As the new caretaker, I will be driving this VERY regularly and would like to have it brought up to modern specs. I realize this will be a long process/project and am going to do things I feel are important and if I don't I will regret skipping on certain things. I am going to have help with several tasks that are beyond my abilities or tools.

I completely respect that you are only doing reverse bolt-ons, but that is not something I am interested in. I don't want to bring it back to stock as a collector car, I want to make this car for my family to enjoy and have fun driving with modern tech.

It is nice to be able to talk through all my ideas with everyone on this forum and I greatly appreciate and respect all the input and advice given!

Thanks stephen_wilson for checking out my thread and please keep the advice and input coming!

1965 289 Coupe
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I didn't do anything. Just grabbed a few pics and figured I'd share. I'm going to be taking it to get blasted pretty soon. Obviously need to do some more disassembly before I have it trailered to the media blasting place.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We have a bunch of friends and family over for my wife and daughters birthday today. So......OBVIOUSLY I'm gonna ask for help! Didn't do much, but I pulled the windshield out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page