restostang289's restoration/build thread: - Vintage Mustang Forums

29Likes

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
restostang289's restoration/build thread:

Hello everyone!

This is my first thread and post on the forum. I am very excited to get to know everyone and am eager to learn from everyone here. Here is the background of my project:

My Grandfather bought this mustang brand new in 64. My family argues that it's a 64.5 but from all the research I've been doing it seems this is not actually a 64.5 and is a 65. Maybe you can all help confirm what year it is. I am excited about the restoration/build. I am going to bring the car back to life so that my family can enjoy this car like my grandparents and their family enjoyed it for decades. I want to do a restomod on this to bring to more modern technology. I want to make this a safe, comfortable, reliable and fun vehicle to drive. This car means the world to me and I have loved it since I was a little boy.

The poor car has been sitting for several years and remained untouched and neglected. My grandfather passed away several years ago and before he did he handed the mustang down to me to bring it back to life. I have been working on this vehicle a lot over the last few months and I think of my grandpa the entire time. I can't even express how much joy it brings to me to be able to work on this thing! I miss my grandfather every day and it's nice to have a piece of him sitting in my garage.

My grandmother, fortunately, is still with us and wants to see this thing restored. She is helping fund this extremely expensive project and I am working as fast as I can to get it done and get it done correctly. I want to do a full restoration from the ground up and add all the nice features we have now. I am not a mechanic or an auto body tech. I have very basic knowledge and I have been reading and watching YouTube videos like you wouldn't believe. I have two little girls and work a full-time job so time is not easy to come by. This is going to require a lot of late nights and long weekends. But I am excited for every minute I get to spend doing it.

So far I have just been working on the breakdown and disassembly of the car. I am trying to get it down to the bones and work my way back through it.

Pictures to follow!

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the progress of this build and I will do my best to share consistently.

Thanks!
Instagram: @RestoStang
Twitter: @RestoStang
Israel, image98 and BlakeTX like this.

1965 289 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can't seem to get anything to post. I can't even get my email to the moderators to go through... I am starting to give up.

1965 289 Coupe
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Starting disassembling the motor while it was in the bay. Honestly just wanted to check everything out and start tinkering. I am going to replace the motor.

1965 289 Coupe

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gutting the interior:

1965 289 Coupe
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Body disassembly

1965 289 Coupe
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:50 PM

restostang289, you're the best with pictures...very nice. I'll go back and read the intro now. Welcome to the forum and good luck with the build!!

You are correct it is a '65. 64 1/2 was simply given to the early 65 models that had generators and such...

Allen
restostang289 likes this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

Last edited by Turnall; 04-17-2017 at 07:53 PM.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
restostang289, you're the best with pictures...very nice. I'll go back and read the intro now. Welcome to the forum and good luck with the build!!

You are correct it is a '65. 64 1/2 was simply given to the early 65 models that had generators and such...

Allen
Thanks! I am excited for this project.

Thanks for clarifying the year. I am not sure why my family is convinced it is a 64.5 but it has none of the difference that the 64.5 has.

1965 289 Coupe
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:36 PM

Maybe they bought the car in mid-late 64...so to them it's a 64 1/2.

I know that Mustang purists don't really acknowledge that there is such a thing as a 64 1/2 model...but I thought that designation was only used on the early generator cars.

Great pictures...nice to see a family heirloom getting the love it deserves.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restostang289 View Post
Thanks! I am excited for this project.

Thanks for clarifying the year. I am not sure why my family is convinced it is a 64.5 but it has none of the difference that the 64.5 has.
If you post the date code from the warranty plate on the door, we can see when the car was built and give some indication as to whether it would fall into the category of what has become known as 64.5's.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Looks like a VERY original car. Why are you ditching the original motor instead of rebuilding it? Having an original 289 4 speed coupe is pretty unique.

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
Looks like a VERY original car. Why are you ditching the original motor instead of rebuilding it? Having an original 289 4 speed coupe is pretty unique.
It is 100% original numbers matching. It will be in our family forever and I plan to drive this A LOT so I just wanted to add a lot of modern things to it. I was going to put maybe a 402 or if I can find a decently price coyote swap I would consider that as well. I think for the cost and time it will be easier to just swap the motor. I want something with pretty good power but still reliable as a daily.

1965 289 Coupe
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
If you post the date code from the warranty plate on the door, we can see when the car was built and give some indication as to whether it would fall into the category of what has become known as 64.5's.

Allen
I will snag that tonight and see if we can get some more information!

1965 289 Coupe
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 PM

How about you pull the motor and put a 331 stroker kit on it with some updated heads. You'll get more power, but it will still look original and everything will bolt right onto it. You could also put fitech (or similar) fuel injection on it if you want a more modern fuel system.

If you go the route of putting a coyote motor in it, you'll probably wind up having to do a whole new front mustangII suspension swap and that will extend the time it takes to get it back on the road.

Between a rebuilt stroker motor and some upgraded front suspension parts from OpenTracker or Street or Track, you can have a car with better handling & performance and probably get back on the road faster too.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
How about you pull the motor and put a 331 stroker kit on it with some updated heads. You'll get more power, but it will still look original and everything will bolt right onto it. You could also put fitech (or similar) fuel injection on it if you want a more modern fuel system.

If you go the route of putting a coyote motor in it, you'll probably wind up having to do a whole new front mustangII suspension swap and that will extend the time it takes to get it back on the road.

Between a rebuilt stroker motor and some upgraded front suspension parts from OpenTracker or Street or Track, you can have a car with better handling & performance and probably get back on the road faster too.
Thanks for the input! I will definitely consider that. I am planning on putting an all new Total Control front clip on with their coilover conversion kit as well as doing their coilover conversion for the rear as well. I was looking at the 351W bored to a 402 because the efi blueprint engine was a good price. But to do that I need the skinny headers or to push back the shock towers. With the total control front clip it basically eliminates the shock towers so I can fit big blocks in there easy.

I'm not a seasoned mustang owner so I definitely appreciate all of your input! I am stuck on what to do... a 402 with the t5 tranny sounds fun. Or a coyote with a modern 6spd. I just don't know what is best. I have a LONG list of total control suspension products I plan on going with. It's pricey but seems like a solid set of suspension upgrades.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 PM

Garage
Great pics, good story and it looks to be a pretty solid car.

I'm with Dan on this one. Coyote motors are great and all, but the supporting mods necessary are huge. By all means, dive in if you're prepared from a fabrication, time and budget stand point, but I wouldn't do it. You can get 9/10ths of the way there on performance with a decent stroker small block in probably less than half the time. I'm all for modifying cars, especially cars that aren't super-rare like your coupe, but it would make me feel yucky to wipe out the shock towers on my grandpa's car. Maybe that's just me.
Huskinhano and restostang289 like this.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page