Another 5.0 GT40P Swap - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Another 5.0 GT40P Swap

Hi all!!
As the title says, Im in the journey of a 5.0 swap on my 1966 mustang coupe. Right now, Im gathering parts for the build. My donor engine comes from a 97 Explorer. Going to the carb route, T5 and 9" rear end.

I have read a lot about the subject, but still have some doubts here and there... But overall, I saw that is a pretty straight forward swap.

Oh, forgot to mention! beside a 5.0 swap, its also a I6 to V8 swap, so that adds a little flavor to the job!

I will post updates of the progress/problems of the swap. I will be asking you some questions along the journey, and hope this gives me the chance to learn from your expertice in the subject, and that this thread will be a guide for someone else that wants to perform this swap!

Greetings from Uruguay!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Here are a couple of pics of the engine, first is the "just removed one", the second is "as is" right now.

Greetings from Uruguay!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-01-30 at 18.52.43.jpg (20.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-04-19 at 18.17.09.jpg (9.2 KB, 79 views)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:15 PM

I'll be glued to this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
I'll be glued to this.
Welcome aboard!! =)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Hi all. Well not too much to report at the moment, just removed the cylinder heads and found that at some point, some water entered the 1&2 cylinders, so next is a complete disassembly and send to the machine shop to have their opinion!
About the parts list of needed for the swap, I already have the oil pan and pickup (NPD), hei distribuitor (evilbay), valve covers (also evil bay) and polyurethane engine mounts (used almost new, gift) I'm planning to use the explorer alt and starter motor, just don't know if is a 50oz 164 tooth flywheel, thats also works with a t5.. and still don't know what to do about the front accessories, if keeping the explorer timing cover and wp and running serpentine, adding an idler pulley, and use electric fuel pump, or changing to mechanical fuel pump and changint the front setup, what do you think? About the cam, I'm planning to keep the original explorer cam, I don't plan on drag racing the car, just a cruiser with a little spice, but nothing crazy! What do you think about this cam?
About intake, I'm checking the weiand 8124, what's the difference between this and the stealth?

Thanks all!! Sorry for all the questions, these are at first glance, the doubts I have. I'll let you know how I go with the machine shop!

Greetings from Uruguay!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 AM

I had a Weiand on my last 289 and an Autolite 4100. Very snappy.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

You just need a flywheel from/for a 5.0 Mustang, easy to find. That cam is completely docile. If you want a slightly upgraded engine, change the cam.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
I had a Weiand on my last 289 and an Autolite 4100. Very snappy.
Hi! Thanks to share! Im looking for this combo:

Summit Racing SB Ford Weiand 8020WND Intake Combo w/Bolts,Gaskets,sealant

Its this the Stealth you use to have? I like this combo because it comes with everything needed to install the intake

Greetings from Uruguay!

Last edited by stang66uy; 04-25-2017 at 12:52 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
You just need a flywheel from/for a 5.0 Mustang, easy to find. That cam is completely docile. If you want a slightly upgraded engine, change the cam.
Hi!
Thanks for you reply! I might search for one, on evilbay. Should I search for a 5.0 50 Oz? or for some other feature? The 5.0 mustang flywheel, is a 164 tooth one? I ask this because I want to use the original starter, and the original flex plate have 164 tooth.. I still have to ID what T5 I have, I know that is a WC, but came with 3 ID tags in one box... By the build date, I link the trans to one of the tags, that places it as a 95ish V6 mustang T5.. I read that there are different imput shaft lenght, but this can be an issue with using the vintage bellhousing, right?

The late model OEM bellhousings, are all the same? Im going to use clutch cable.

About the cam, well see... at first glance, as I was not planning to dissasembly the lower part of the engine, I was going to use the explorer cam for a while, save some cash and then upgrade it. Now that I have to tore down the block, maby will go for a "happier" cam, but nothing too crazy... Lets see, whats the veredict of the machine shop. Today Im going to put the engine on a stand, and start the dissasembly. Will post some pictures of the process!

Last edited by stang66uy; 04-25-2017 at 12:51 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 05:54 PM

Juan, I sent you a email before. Here's my GT40P install. Yes, the 95 V6 T5 or even the 5.0 T5 from 95 will have a longer input shaft. Some people have used the V6 bellhousing. the V6 uses a 164 tooth 11" flywheel while the 5.0 uses a smaller 157 tooth flywheel. Probably to quell vibration. You will find the clutch fork at least on the V6 is clocked a lot lower FYI. You could always just swap out the input shaft too. Despite what the charts say, the V6 T5 is rated at 300 ftlbs,, the same as the 5.0 T5, not 265 ftlbs, I got this info first hand from a Tremec engineer. I believe the differences is the V6 has a slightly lower 5th gear and I think reverse is slightly different as well.

Got my GT40P up and running in my 66

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.

Last edited by Huskinhano; 04-25-2017 at 06:02 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Juan, I sent you a email before. Here's my GT40P install. Yes, the 95 V6 T5 or even the 5.0 T5 from 95 will have a longer input shaft. Some people have used the V6 bellhousing. the V6 uses a 164 tooth 11" flywheel while the 5.0 uses a smaller 157 tooth flywheel. Probably to quell vibration. You will find the clutch fork at least on the V6 is clocked a lot lower FYI. You could always just swap out the input shaft too. Despite what the charts say, the V6 T5 is rated at 300 ftlbs,, the same as the 5.0 T5, not 265 ftlbs, I got this info first hand from a Tremec engineer. I believe the differences is the V6 has a slightly lower 5th gear and I think reverse is slightly different as well.

Got my GT40P up and running in my 66
Hi tom How are you? As I told you, you have done a great job on your engine. Infact, your work was the reason that makes me pull the trigger on my build. Thanks about the transmission data, sure will be asking some questions when I get there... I will post some pics of the T5 and tags I got,maby anyone can say wich one I have. Here in my country, we dont have a lot of info on these engines/trans, as there are not many around. Well, there is not much to report, being too busy at work and with another 66 im putting togheter for a friend. i have put the engine on the stand, and hoping to start dissasembly next week.
I have ordered a weiand stealth intake, complete with bolts/gaskets, next will be purchasing the parts for the front. Still dont know if go with V belt or multi belt.. I do want to use the Explorer alternator.

Im attaching a couple "progress pics"..

Thanks for reading
Greetings from Uruguay!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-04-25 at 18.43.49.jpg (8.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-04-25 at 18.43.48.jpg (9.5 KB, 37 views)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Santa arrived earlyer this year!
Hope tomorrow finish dissasembly the engine, and monday take it to the machine shop
Fingers crossed!!
Still have to buy the front stuff (timing cover/WP/pulleys/FP/etc) and flywheel/clutch/etc...
Greetings from uruguay!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-05-11 at 19.59.08.jpg (11.0 KB, 28 views)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi all!
Saturday was engine day!! I was able to make a complete dissasembly of the engine, and is on its way to the machine shop, as I wrote this.

I found no surprises during dissasembly, just normal wear.

Im hoping that going with first bore size, will clean the n1 and n2 cylinders, the ones that had water at one time...

I also try the fitment of the bellhousing and flywheel of the other 5.0 that Im working on, with the t5 that Im going to use. I found no issues, so thats are the parts I need to order. I have purchased the timing cover, with fuel pump and dipstick provisions, so one piece less to finish the puzzle...

Im not yet decided about the cam... What do you think guys/gals?? If I upgrade the cam, I must also upgrade the valve springs right??

About the rebuild kit, I should search for a Explorer Rebuild Kit, or just any 5.0 rebuild kit will do?? I ask this because of the hypereutectic pistons...

Ill add a couple of pics of the tear down
Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics!!

Thanks all
Greetings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-05-13 at 14.43.40.jpg (9.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-05-13 at 14.43.42.jpg (19.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-05-13 at 14.43.41.jpg (21.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-05-13 at 14.43.41 (1).jpg (20.1 KB, 20 views)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 PM

Juan, the stock GT40P springs are pretty weak. The cam is going to depend on what you want. While the stock cam is pretty mild, it's meant to get a heavy truck moving so it makes a lot of torque where you generally drive. For an everyday driver it would probably work pretty well. I have a Mustang cam in mine. the big difference is more intake duration and lift. I also have a set of Crane 1.72 roller rocker arms. These will give a little more lift and duration. over all it's a very nice set up. It makes really good power and idles great. No bad manners.

Here's where I bought my springs, I have the .540" springs https://www.alexsparts.com/categorie...E-SPRING-KITS/

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Juan, the stock GT40P springs are pretty weak. The cam is going to depend on what you want. While the stock cam is pretty mild, it's meant to get a heavy truck moving so it makes a lot of torque where you generally drive. For an everyday driver it would probably work pretty well. I have a Mustang cam in mine. the big difference is more intake duration and lift. I also have a set of Crane 1.72 roller rocker arms. These will give a little more lift and duration. over all it's a very nice set up. It makes really good power and idles great. No bad manners.

Here's where I bought my springs, I have the .540" springs https://www.alexsparts.com/categorie...E-SPRING-KITS/
Hi Tom!!
I havent decided yet what to do about cam... I was thinking for now leaving the existing cam and springs and later change them, mainly because the $$$ as I ended up dissasembly the whole engine (not planned), and need to spend there... But of course, I also think that is now the moment of put the final setup, as I have the engine all tored apart... Well see what my machine shop says, as maby there is no need for spending a lot of cash there, as the engine has minimal wear, just the damage of the water in the #1 and #2 cylinders, that is also minimal... Hope next week have news from them. I will also continue purchasing the missing parts, next will be the damper and flywheel, Whis this parts, the only one missing is going to be the carb.

I will report the machine shop news

About the car, Im waiting for the new hood I ordered a couple of month back, hope to receive it in this days.
Then I will take it to the body shop, to change the whole cowl assembly and adjust all the front sheet metal, with the new hood/cowl. Also the plan is to get the engine bay ready (stripped, repaired as needed and painted semi gloss black) as I want to put the engine on the car, when is ready.. Easy to say, lets see how I go...

Im adding a couple of pics of the car, as Is now.
I have this car since I was 18, I remove the 6 cylinders like 3 years ago to rebuild and well... one thing led to another and I ended up tore it apart... Igoing to paint it red and putting black interior...

Thanks
Greetings from Uruguay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2016-12-17 at 11.31.24.jpg (16.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2016-01-15 at 16.49.01.jpg (19.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2016-01-15 at 16.49.03.jpg (19.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2016-01-15 at 16.49.04.jpg (20.3 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page