1965 Hurst Fastback Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maryland66

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

1965 Hurst Fastback Mustang

The Hurst Mustang performance package was offered for a short period through Ford dealerships. Inspired by the sporty handling of his own Mustang convertible, George Hurst conceived a dealer fit package consisting of a Hurst shifter, suspension, wheels, badging, vinyl stripes and performance engine components. The package was shipped to dealers who could order a 289 four speed Mustang along with some additional replacement parts from Shelby American to assemble the 335hp Hurst Mustang.

Unfortunately due to extensive labor involved installing the package, which included a special camshaft very few examples were assembled. By the time the first Hurst Mustangs were built the 1966 model year cars had hit the showroom floor so the Hurst engines were painted in the new Ford corporate blue in order to appear current to buyers.

This particular example is the only known surviving 1965 Hurst Mustang and features both heater and radio delete options, making it exceptionally rare. This is entirely fictional but we really didn't want to build yet another GT350 clone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16406970_397145957313082_5645547092062680602_n.jpg (66.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2927.jpg (63.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2932.JPG (88.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2934.JPG (43.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2952.JPG (63.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2972.JPG (53.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2955.JPG (54.4 KB, 55 views)
Fair Oaks Mustang likes this.

Last edited by Maryland66; 05-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:00 PM

Cool. I like a good "what if?" car.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Archer, S5 E7: "Don't you have a tractor pull to go headline?"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:03 PM

Very cool...where did you get the hurst logo products for the car?
Got any more pictures of the build online?

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
The gas cap is made from a Scott Drake reproduction and a Hurst wheel center cap. The glove box and valve cover badges are made from hurst olds badges and ford hat pins

I have some more pictures coming. The car is almost done and I'm trying to take it on Power Tour.

Car was originally a 2bbl fastback, so I don't feel bad at all making it into a "What if" car.
Here are some specs;

- Original 289 engine, heads and a comp Nostalgia+ solid lifter cam
- Holley 600 and Pertronix ignitor III ignition
- T5 trans, blow proof bell housing. All painted satin black for a stealth look
- Hydraulic clutch and Mustang Steve power brakes (many forum posts said it could not be done but it's in there!)
- SN95 Brakes
- Heater and radio delete, with the passenger cowl vent ducted directly to the driver demist vent
- GT350R roll bar and package tray with a hurst spare on display
- Mustangs Plus suspension
- I'm still waiting on some custom GT40 style seats, so will run the stock ones for a while
- Lecarra steering wheel
- 3" seat belts
- Hurst shifter of course
- Sub frame connectors
- 9 inch 3.7 ratio eaton tru-track
- HiPo air cleaner (That little one is just on so I can check for leaks and make adjustments on first fire up)
- Various small improvements like the 67 style battery tray, upgraded stock look radiator etc.

I have tried to make this look like a quality restoration of a car the could have existed with the mods mostly hidden in plain sight. Using correct hose clamps etc. helps with that too. The restraint has been very difficult, but I believe it is those details that separate good cars form inspirational builds. I almost went crazy with EFI, tilt column, modern suspension etc. but feel that that would break the theme too much. I did compromise the design with the brakes, but even went to the trouble of using an early style master cylinder and covering the hydraulic clutch lines with some NOS vintage heat shield.

Last edited by Maryland66; 05-16-2017 at 04:23 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:28 PM

I like the work that you've done but I have an issue with it. An authentic Hurst modified car for 1965 would have the period correct "early" Hurst Magnesium Wheels (like the set I have for my car

PS: I'd let mine go for the right price . . . .

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip:

Dart 434W NA, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear, 93 octane pump gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.82@138.00

Last edited by dennis111; 05-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Reminds me of the Tasca 505. You need to get a set of those Hurst 5 spoke wheels.....

Tasca 505 Mustang

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Glad to hear GT289, that article was actually one of the inspirations for this build!

Quote:
An authentic Hurst modified car for 1965 would have the period correct "early" Hurst Magnesium Wheels
I agree dennis111, I have been looking for a set for a while. If I can find a set for a reasonable price I would use the modern version with radials for long hauls, and I'd like a set of the originals and put bias ply tires on them for shows.

I'm at the end of my budget for this build, but may be interested if you are selling. That said you should really keep them, they look great on your car!
My only concern is they may not fit over the SN95 brakes.

Last edited by Maryland66; 05-16-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Making progress, the interior is mostly done. The list is getting shorter, door glass and fit out in the next few days. Hopefully will get to breaking in the engine in the next week so I can put a few miles on her before power tour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3025.JPG (45.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3023.JPG (39.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3022.JPG (47.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3020.JPG (57.5 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page