1970 Grabber Green Progress - Page 16 - Vintage Mustang Forums

33Likes

post #226 of 232 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

While I was getting all the welds and plasma cut areas all smoothed out on the modified areas, I went ahead and finish welded the muffler to the pipe assembly. I attempted to keep the tube in the same relative position while I went around the joint. Everything turned out nicely.

I dusted a little primer on the rocker area that was bare metal and removed the tape off of the tip. Getting all of it reinstalled on the car, without any extra bracing it still lines up, thankfully.

I had to get a right side up pic of the tips without their yellow tape, the picture does not do them justice...

With a little rearranging, I'm onto the passenger side. The tip on the driver's side will have to come off again to make some cut templates, and for general reference. Hopefully the second side will be quicker.
Grabber70Mach likes this.

I have never "made" anything, I just modify the things around me into useful items with abilities that were GIVEN to me.

Mike

Last edited by latoracing; 04-11-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 232 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 PM

Good lord, your welds look better than most people do.
Huntingky and Target like this.

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

post #228 of 232 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

happystang,

I wish I could see as well as I use to, I look at the pictures and think that most of the welds I show look mediocre at best. Thank you for the compliment though, I appreciate it.

Got to chopping up the passenger side. I made some templates from the other side and laid out all the cut areas. I removed the majority of the areas and left some material to fit the parts too. Getting the tunnel filler to fit was a little easier as I had a somewhat clue of how to go about it.

With a little time, the hole in the rocker was just right, the inner rocker was laid out and trimmed. Lots of grinding and more material removal, the filler was tack welded in place. I went ahead and mimicked the notch from the driver's side and welded it in place, while I was at it. Getting the majority of the parts all welded up, it is ready for some metal finishing. It would be fun to leave it all messy without grinding the welds... maybe next time lol

I have never "made" anything, I just modify the things around me into useful items with abilities that were GIVEN to me.

Mike

post #229 of 232 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
Good lord, your welds look better than most people do.
I see pics like this and I wonder if the person is showing off the progress or the welds!

66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie with F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
post #230 of 232 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
I see pics like this and I wonder if the person is showing off the progress or the welds!

As this part of my progress is pretty much welding items together, I'll be showing the results of my progress. I do not post pics of my work to be prideful or have a "look at me" type attitude, but rather the intricate details that I am attempting to put into my build. I am not the be all end all of car builders, just sharing what I am up to.

Mike
Huntingky likes this.

Mike
post #231 of 232 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latoracing View Post
As this part of my progress is pretty much welding items together, I'll be showing the results of my progress. I do not post pics of my work to be prideful or have a "look at me" type attitude, but rather the intricate details that I am attempting to put into my build. I am not the be all end all of car builders, just sharing what I am up to.

Mike
lol....don't really figure you are, just being jealous of the level of skill shown. VERY nice work!
happystang and 69GT350H like this.

66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie with F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
post #232 of 232 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
lol....don't really figure you are, just being jealous of the level of skill shown. VERY nice work!

Thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate it.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page