Since everything else I have done on this car is "overkill", might as well continue with that theme lol. I wanted to give the frame rails a little more support, since I all but cut them in half. I also need a way to plug those huge holes I cut in my new floor. So I started with a template, then enlarged it a little. I then transferred the pattern to some 2" x 4" x 1/8" wall tube. A little bit of Sharpie guided plasma cutting and we have some roughed out frame beef-ups.
A little trimming, some grinding, more trimming and the beef-up is starting to fit.
When I torched out the rough shape, I left a long strip of the top of the tube, which was cut at the tangent line of the radius on the corners of the tube. The front is bent down to the radius I cut into the tube, which takes the contour of the part.
Tack welded in place as the strip makes contact
Fully welded and ground. The radius on the sides mimic the original shape of the tube, (your how to for the day lol) and will look like it was formed, not welded.
I have a couple of plasma holes I didn't get filled, but I'll take care of them shortly. I am going to cut some of the height out of these as they look huge, and probably do not need to be that big. I'll get it trimmed, then notched for the side pipe routing.