1970 Grabber Green Progress - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

37Likes

post #16 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Removed alot of the left overs from the quarter skin. I am going to have to patch the sail pannel where the inner seat belt attaches to the car, it is just a little thin in places. Removed some rear seat brackets, and the outter seat belt attachment plate. Got the area marked where the new inner wheel house will be sitting, and started removing the parts that are in the way. Removing 2" kinda gets the seat belt bolt hole about 1/2 way, the other side lost it's attachment point, this one will as well. Hopefully I'll get this part done before 2013, maby...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1208121730.jpg (89.3 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg 1208121747.jpg (91.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 1208121913.jpg (95.0 KB, 206 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Was working on the frame notch, and trunk floor area this afternoon. I was able to get a little done, it was fun though. Made the outter frame filler, and tacked it into place. Removed the old trunk floor, which I used as a template to fit the new inner wheel house, and to help mark the new trunk floor. Cleaned up the frame rail and got it ready for some rust preventer on the inside. Went ahead and made the inner supports for the frame rail, and got them prepped with some weld through primer. Trimmed and test fitted the new trunk floor, which turned out nice, and it actually lined up with the gas tank holes, which is a plus. I have the rest of the year off of work, so I should be able to get some things done, hopefully...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1218121442.jpg (94.3 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 1218121600.jpg (92.8 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 1218121630.jpg (93.3 KB, 185 views)
post #18 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Welded my "gussett" into the frame rail, along with the internal beef up plates (@ the seams). Cleaned up my mess, and put more weld through primer on. Finished trimming and swiss cheesing the trunk floor and temp installed it with some self tapping screws. RE....installed the gas tank, and it is ready to be welded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1219121540.jpg (92.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 1219121634.jpg (93.7 KB, 190 views)

post #19 of 240 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Wow! I had forgotten about this thread, I haven't posted anything in over a year and a half.

Guess I'll hit some of the highlights...

All the metal in the rear is all completed
Installed convertible inner rockers and torque boxes
One piece floor pan

Ordered suspension stuff from SoT and mocked it up

post #20 of 240 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Update continue...

Got some custom hoops

Some seats

I have been working on my cowl area for what seems like forever. I have the dash and all the other crunchy components bolted in place so I can route chassis beef up parts (Cage and such) in place. I have been using SN-65's chassis beef up recommendations for a guide. I will be working on bars in the very near future, so I'll attempt to keep this posting up to date a little better
post #21 of 240 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM

Wow, those wheels are nice! CCW?

68' Coupe. Toyota 2JZ. Build thread HERE
post #22 of 240 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

More pics,.......

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #23 of 240 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM

The wheels look like Formula 43's. Sweet build with some VERY high end parts! Keep the updates coming.

69 Mach 1 H-code 418W/TKO600/Holley Terminator EFI/RMP Front Coil-Over/TCP Manual R&P/3.70 Auburn Pro/Global West SFC-5 Leafs-Del-A-Lum/Koni's/Magnaflow 2.5 X pipe

Build pictures:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/chillininnh/
post #24 of 240 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Chillininnh, you are correct, RAD 14's in 18 x 9.5 / 18 x 12 ought to be just a little contact patch.

In the quest to fix the cowl area, I ended up replacing the lower A pillar (door hinge mounts)

and added some bracing to the cowl area, to hopefully make it just a little stronger

Cowl bracing with a pice of 1" x 1.5" x 0.120" wall tubing rolled to fit the upper firewall contour. I added threaded inserts for the export brace to bolt to.

I have tons of other pics if you would like to check them out on my photobucket Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing
post #25 of 240 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Working on seat risers lately. I had to chop my stock height seat risers an inch to gain a little more head room. I also had my seats made with a 5th seat belt slot, so the last time I had all of them in place, I marked the area where I wanted to put my seat belt mount. I rolled some 12ga CRS to a 4" round collar, and made four discs to use as big washers. I cut a 4" hole in the riser, fitted the collar and riser in the car to get an accurate position to mark the collar. Once it was all trimmed, I welded one of the discs in place and tacked the assembly to the riser.

Checked the fit just one more time, then fried the collar to the seat riser.

These risers had a brace in them, like the factory ones, which I had to remove to cut the risers down. I thought it would be fun to "slightly" modify them, and reinstall them. After a little bit of trimming, bending new tabs, and some de-burring it is just about ready to weld in place.

I need to finish the rear section as it needs some adjustments as well.
post #26 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Finished the rear brace modifications and fried it all in place.

Stuck the assembly back in the car to make shure it still fit. It did need some slight tweaking to make it sit flat to the floor, which was easy to do. I sheet metal screwed the riser back to the floor pan to drill the hole for the seat belt mount. Once it was all drilled and reamed to 7/16" I had to bolt it up to see how it fit.

There is a duplicate disc on the bottom that will sandwich the floor pan and be welded in place. I have the lower seat pans that will be installed at a later date. (just like a convertible) There might come a time that this mount might need to be accessed, so I plan on cutting another access hole in the lower pan, just in case. Hopefully the passenger side will be easier, since I have one to go by.
post #27 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:03 PM

Great build!

1966 GT Fastback, restoration almost there! Code T Red with White LeMans stripes.
2015 GT Fastback - Deep Impact Blue
post #28 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 PM

Looks great!

1970 Mach 1
1970 Fastback in work

post #29 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

The passenger side pan went much faster, since I had something to go by

It is all welded up, front and rear. Just needs a big hole and some braces, it will be ready to install, finally...
post #30 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Worked on my center beef-up that I removed from a new '68 convertible one piece seat riser. Thought I only had a little trimming left to do, NOT! Since I removed 1" out of my stock seat risers, they are about 3/4" narrower front to rear, so this thing had to shrink as well, or look stupid. After beating and cutting this poor thing to death, this is how it ended up.

I still have some filling in to do on the bottom side. I attempted to bend down parts of the original seat riser and not have a weld seam across the entire part, but it didn't work out that way. Kind of a shame to chop up a $150.00 seat riser, and this is all that is left of it. Oh well, it will serve it's purpose. The parts clear the seats, finally, still tight, but it will work. Get a few more fill in parts made, and it is prep and weld time. I will be glad to get this part of my project behind me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page