1970 Grabber Green Progress - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

37Likes

post #31 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Lots of small steps this week, but finally got somewhere

Primed the middle of the floor pan the other day where all the seat riser parts go. I will be all over this in a few days, so I didn't go ahead and prime the entire area, that will come later. I got the risers all fried in place after work today, YEA I still need to make a couple of attachment parts for the riser to inner rocker areas, and get the middle part installed, that will be after work tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Garage
Looking great!

Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17s
+ Shelby drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #33 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Middle section is finally in, took me long enough. Now onto more interesting projects...

post #34 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM

I agree on that being a lot of work, but really only good solution if you plan to use this reinforced piece and stock type seats. Nice job, I just decided to run fixed back seats in the 67' after realizing just how much taller this Dynacor piece is than a stock 69/70 FB piece. I will have to consider something similar in the 70'.

69 351 TKO Sport Roof, Ride Tech coilover
70 557 PG Mach I tube chassis 2650lb
70 427 TKO Sport Roof, SoT full chassis to be
70 351 FMX Mach I
67 347 TKO Coupe SoT/CAT5
67 289 C4 Coupe stockish cruiser
69 460 TKO Vert, Mustang Plus Grab a Track
94 351 TKO AIX, Maximum Motorsports
01 5.4 4L80E Twins and CrMo caged

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/LukeSportsman
post #35 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukesportsman View Post
I agree on that being a lot of work, but really only good solution if you plan to use this reinforced piece and stock type seats. Nice job, I just decided to run fixed back seats in the 67' after realizing just how much taller this Dynacor piece is than a stock 69/70 FB piece. I will have to consider something similar in the 70'.
It might be tempting to make the risers out of tube, and connect them under the car with the convertable parts. I guess it really depends on the seat hight, these Corbeu seat bottoms are tall. At least these are done, except for the rocker tie-in's. I've got ideas on those...
post #36 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 AM

Great progress! I love your choice of wheels and seats. I can see a classy build developing. You have great skills, keep us up to date, this will be one to follow.

68 Fastback Project (Wife's Dream Car)
post #37 of 240 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Cage Time

I started my cage project several weeks ago when I made my cardboard template for my main hoop.

I wanted the main hoop to fit up nice and tight to the B pillars, and to the roof. Over all dimensions I was shooting for were 36" high, and 55" wide. I am using 1.75" x .120" DOM tube with a 5.5CL bend radius in a JD2-32 bender. Working from the center of my 11' piece of tube, I made the first bend at 75 degrees, and checked it against my template.

Marked my tangent line for my next bend, and bent it to 15 degrees. Once that was done, I lined my part to the outside of the template, to see how much spring back there was, which was 5/8". I subtracted that amount from my new center line mark, and bent the other two bends, just like the other side.

A quick check to see if my math was right

Couldn't complain about that, so I marked the over all height, and trimmed it. Stuck it in the car to see if it would fit

Just like my template, only tubing. Halo bar is next...

post #38 of 240 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Worked on a template for my halo bar the other night, just about ready to start bending more tube. I need to tack the main hoop in place to verify a couple of measurements and realized I have not installed any base plates. Oooppps. So I spent some time today making up some. I am locating the main hoop on top of my convertible rockers, and fitting it very close to the B pillars. The base plates needed more area than what I could fit, so I went vertical to be able to weld the hoop to the lower part of the B pillar.

I did a little form fitting as well. Flat plate would have looked cheesy, and would not have been very strong. I'll get these fried in place early next week, as time permits.

I had some fun bending my main hoop the other day, my "office" chair just was not high enough to lend a hand. Took a little scrap and made me an adjustable stand, to help out with just those kind of situations.

It will be helpful with the notching process as well. I get to play with round tube a lot lately, especially at work. This is type of tubing is nice to work with, you don't have to be so concerned with scratching it, or having to blend a bunch of welds, like this...

304 Stainless, yuck! I used to love polished metals, now I cringe when that "polished" word comes up. Oh well, guess it pays the bills to play with Mustangs. Gota love it...
post #39 of 240 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 PM

Looks good, your car reminds me of mine when I first bought it ,keep up the great work

post #40 of 240 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Following the cage install close

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #41 of 240 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Your cage work is impressive. Real shame that OTB cages don't come close to that fitment quality. I'd love to buy a main hoop that fit that well!

69 351 TKO Sport Roof, Ride Tech coilover
70 557 PG Mach I tube chassis 2650lb
70 427 TKO Sport Roof, SoT full chassis to be
70 351 FMX Mach I
67 347 TKO Coupe SoT/CAT5
67 289 C4 Coupe stockish cruiser
69 460 TKO Vert, Mustang Plus Grab a Track
94 351 TKO AIX, Maximum Motorsports
01 5.4 4L80E Twins and CrMo caged

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/LukeSportsman
post #42 of 240 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Got a few things done lately. Went ahead and installed my base plates for my main hoop the other day. Did just a little sanding on the rosette welds, just so they are flat. I then installed the main hoop after trimming the bottom one more time. Just one tack on the bottom, and another tack on the upper seat belt bolt to hold it vertical.

I don't want anything moving around, but I don't want to have to cut a bunch of welds when it comes time to gain access to the top. I bent the halo bar after work yesterday...

(sorry for the blurry pic) fitted to the cardboard template I made for a reference. Once bent and trimmed, I set up the drill press with my semi cheep tubing notcher to put a 36 degree notch in the halo attachment points.

Ground the rough edges off, and prepped the weld areas so it will be ready to fry a little later. I used a ratchet strap to hold the halo bar to the main hoop, made a sort of hinge out of it. Just a little bit difficult to hold that bar in place to check for fit up. I had to flatten out a couple of areas that were keeping the halo bar from sitting level. Second attempt, with a little help from an old outboard motor support, and...

it fits nice and tight. The bar is not visible from outside of the car, just like I had hopped it would work out. I need to clean off all the left over glue, and put some POR-15 in some areas that will not be accessible once this jungle gym is in place. Or I might go ahead and bend up some A pillar bars...
post #43 of 240 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Went ahead and started bending the A pillar down bars. These would be just a little more tricky since there were bends that need to be on different planes. I don't have any fancy tubing degree wheel to use, so I improvised just a little.

I bent the first bend, then attached a small piece of square tube to the end of the bar so that they were parallel. Using my digital level I was able to clock the 74 degrees that I needed for my second bend.

Once the bending was done, there was the weird copping angle I needed to install this bar to the halo. I semi mocked up the joint with a piece of left over tube and transferred the measurements to the actual part.

Top all nice and notched, rocker area all nice and trimmed, test fit time...

Fit fairly well, even where the tube passed by the old parking brake mount and the dash.

My nice super crunchy dash, yuck. It is a tight fit, but it should work and not be in the way of too much. The fresh air vent will be next to impossible to install or remove once these bars are in place. I am pleased with how it is turning out. The coping might need just a little tweaking to get the bar closer to the A pillar

But I might build the other side and see how it fits, if it is like this side

I might just leave it alone. More to come...
post #44 of 240 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Wow, nice cage! I assume you won't be installing a headliner?

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #45 of 240 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Bent the passenger side A pillar bar, notched it and stuck it in place. Much like the other side, I was pleased with the initial fit. I stuck my lower cowl in place to see how I was doing with clearance, and aesthetics...

Still OK. I thought about fitting the dash bar, but it is just a simple straight bar with copings on each end. So I tore out everything except the main hoop. I want to install an X brace in the halo bar, yet another small task to accomplish. Using my cardboard template for the halo bar, I laid out where I wanted the bars to go, and started fitting tubing.

Attempting to keep everything stuffed up as high as possible, and still be strong there is a 15 degree bend close to the front of the halo bar. This is kinda time consuming to fit the bars up tight without gaps. I have a bunch of fitting to do just for this part, but it is not as hard as the A pillar bars. Looks like my 60' of tubing will not be enough, I might run out before I finish, only have 20' left +/- , we'll see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page