So.....with those answers left kinda open (sorry, I work fast when my mind's to it) I just winged it.
I setup the clutch cable so it wouldn't have any crazy bends or be near the headers etc. It's not the most pleasing to the eye, aesthetics aside however, it works so well! I can't quite push the pedal down with two fingers, but I can with my thumb
. I get almost exactly 1.75" of travel too, which was what I was shooting for. I welded on an old motorcycle highway peg mount plate to the top of my clutch pedal, and put a heim joint to a threaded rod on that, which in turn pulls the clutch cable. I'm not sure if I have a picture of the cable yet, but I designed up all these complex cable puller gizmos and finally just welded a new threaded boss into the original cable end. I kept the heat as low as possible on the cable, and it all looks good, no discoloration at all. I will however do the same thing to a spare cable JUST IN CASE, as I hate not having off the shelf parts.
So...I have a problem when I close the hood. It appears my hood hinge pivots are loose enough to permit the spring to come over and rub on my nice clutch linkage. I'm not 100% sure how to fix it yet, but I've got time and bigger fish to fry in the meantime.
Did the throttle pedal too. Guessed at 2.5-2.75" of pedal travel, and it feels pretty good installed. Threaded a piece of 3/16" welding rod with 10-24 threads and cut an old ball style throttle link in half, and put them together. I took the end of the original 6cyl throttle linkage and welded it together, so now when you bottom the pedal, you're not bottoming into the carpet, wearing a hole there, and not pulling excessively on the throttle shaft, but rather against the firewall. I may put a little bumper there later, but it seems ok for now. I also made an adapter plate to get the throttle pull to start and finish at roughly the same angles from center. (ie, 25° on both sides of vertical, instead of from 0-50° as it was at one of the existing holes.)
I got some Duraspark II setup parts from the junkyard the other day too (they had another 50% off week, AWESOME). I now have my original Duraspark III with the large cap which I'll save for an oil pump primer or something, one out of a 1979 E-100 which has the small distributor cap and one out of a 1984 F-150 with the large cap. The two large caps I have look similar, but the DSIII one has these weird conduction bars inside it which makes the spark jump twice inside the cap it looks like? I'll take a picture later. It's pretty weird. I can only think it helps keep plug wires from being all crossed over each other. Both DSII distributors were good, I got the '79 DS module, wired it up on my workbench and wired up all 8plugs with individual grounds and it works great. Spin the shaft and it looks like one of those Christmas tree light sequencers.
Put some accessories back on (and my rusty, crappy leaking water pump) to check to see if I needed any new brackets, but I think these will work out ok. I have to do something about tensioning the PS pump/ water pump,as the belt no longer runs over the AC and the top tensioner, but I think I can re-use the top tensioner down below somewhere and make it all happy. I'm not sure why I hear you have to have a '69 alternator bracket as it's the only year they were made, but maybe it's for a different alternator, or if you don't want to grind the ears off the airpump mount like I'm going to do.