Newb, 66 Coupe with Boosted Inline Six - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

3Likes

post #31 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 PM

The first thing I thought when I saw your car was "Dang, that intercooler is large and in charge!" I liked the look but it was just a bit too bold. I like the more subdued look you've come up with. Good job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate it! Back in the day it looked fine because the car was kind of a mess anyways but now that its all coming together again stance and wheel/tire wise I was really wanting to tone it down and clean it up a tad while still showing off the goods so to speak. The intercooler now should have PLENTY of air coming to it and be able to do its job while being a tad more subtle and almost look like it was made for the car and the car for it rather than an afterthought just tossed on to keep the boost temps down!

Matt

ITS A SIX
post #33 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 PM

Looking good.

1965 Mustang coupe, Poppy red with black interior, I6, DUI, Classic Inlines ALum head and intake, Clay Smith cam 264/264 110, Holley 390cfm 4bbl, Yella Terra 1.65 Roller Rockers, CI headers stainless with Jet-Hot ceramic coating, CI Stainless 2" impostor dual exhaust, Spectre Low profile carb hat, 4Cly T5 with Hyd throwout bearing, 17x8 Coys C-67 wheels, TMI interior,

post #34 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:12 PM

Looking good

Nadyne
1966 Mustang Coupe
289 v8, 4bbl Holley carb, 3spd
Cobra brakes, Explorer 8.8
Mine.....
Eva
2003 Mustang Mach 1
4.6 DOHC, 5 speed
Hers......
post #35 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Had about an hour free time, maybe a little more last night so I got to sanding. Im extremely pleased and only have a couple small problem areas that will need a little more bondo to smooth out then I should be ready for paint.

Matt

ITS A SIX
post #36 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Front valance is in paint as we speak and will be done soon! Motor is out and at the machine shop.

Had to go .040 to clean up the cylinder walls so custom forged pistons are on order, new rings, ARP rod bolts and main studs. Ed Curtis is tossing together a cam for the car, the turbo was rebuilt and looks fantastic and I even picked up a little better head for the combo

Its an Australian 250-2V head with bigger valves, 3 angle, new guides, intake milled for Holley 2 barrel etc. Im cleaning it up and will paint it when the motor comes back. I have a feeling I might have to move the turbo a bit in order to make it clear the new intake but thats ok. Hopefully this will allow the little 6 to breath a bit better! Im also weeding through the mess of an engine bay and cleaning up the wiring while Im at it. Nothing show worthy but enough to make it look cleaner!

Matt

ITS A SIX
post #37 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
I freaking love your car man. Seriously, every time I see you post about it, it makes me want to build a monster of a FI 6 cyl. I had so much fun with my first one, building the crap out of it and surprising the hell out of people with how hard it would pull. Once you get em' breathing, and add some boost they really are great little motors.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
post #38 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 PM

That is one awesome build! Too bad the US build sixes as placeholders for V8's and not like the Aussies did.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #39 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 PM

nice build you have there. that 250 2v head will make a pretty big difference.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #40 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 AM

very nice! not ya grandpa's ole 6 huh

1967 Diamond Blue Convertible all original survivor
1971 Mach I: 351c,Performer intake,Holley 750,Doug Thorley headers,duals (of course)Flowmasters, Accel dist/coil, MSD brain,Isky Cam .517/ADV Duration 280@ .050 Duration 232 LC 108, FMX with shift kit, 2800 stall, 3:89 gears
post #41 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 AM

Way too cool Makes me wish I'd kept the six. Pretty sweet.

Troy Arave
post #42 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, sucker already pulled like a freight train with the old setup, hoping now itll drive like a normal car when NOT in WOT. Before WOT was the only time the thing would run like it should lol. Ive been busy busy busy but have been taking the time to clean up the engine bay a tad and also clean up this head and intake to get it ready for the new motor. I noticed some of the valves had minor leaks when soaking the intake and exhaust chambers with Simple Green so Ive been lapping the valves to clean up the seats a bit. Im half way done and hope to be finished this week. Only worth while update Ive got tho came from my painter.

He says I should get em back tomorrow (Tues). Cant wait to get em on the car and see how she looks If they come out nice I will be dragging the car out to his place later this summer to touch up a couple spots and get the car all one color again!

Matt

ITS A SIX
post #43 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

YES Looks even better than I had hoped with color on it

The stone guard and valance look awesome and appear to match colorwise really well despite having painted the car in 1999 and having NO record of the color used. I wanted Ford Vermillion Red but Im thinkin it was painted either Rio or Performance red as I have a faint memory of being told its 99 Mustang red (vague huh). ANYways, I brought the painter the old stone guard and he used it for reference. Once I bolt it up to the car and roll it out in the sun Ill have a better idea of just how close we got.

Matt

ITS A SIX
post #44 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:01 AM

You did a really nice installation on the intercooler. Impressive.
I don't know much about modding a six but, would the fuel injection set up from the 90's pick-up trucks (F-150) work on that block?
Anyway, nice work. Oh, and that rear battery installation. I did the same thing, same way on the 66 GT I used to own. Cool.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #45 of 144 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
I don't know much about modding a six but, would the fuel injection set up from the 90's pick-up trucks (F-150) work on that block?
not without some work. you first need the injector bushings installed in the head, there are suppliers for these pieces by the way, and they need to be either welded or brazed. you then need to figure a fuel rail, perhaps two of them, splitting the cylinders front and rear, and you need to reprogram the factory computer in regards to fuel curves and timing curves.

if you want EFI, a better way to go would be to grab two CFI throttle bodies, they look like 2100 autolite carbs without the float bowls, and adapt them to the log with the proper weld on adapters. then use the megasquirt EFI controller to run them.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page