Newb, 66 Coupe with Boosted Inline Six - Vintage Mustang Forums

3Likes

post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Newb, 66 Coupe with Boosted Inline Six

Hey guys, Im a newb to the forums (long time lurker) but Ive had my 66 since the late 90s (first car) and have been slowly messing with it since Heres a mod breakdown off the top of my head:

1966 Mustang Coupe "Sprint" package
200 ci inline six BONE stock pistons, rods and crank
292 cam (oooold)
BIG log 250 head with valve springs for cam, milled for 2V carb direct mount
Holley 2300 500cfm carb by QuickFuel for blow thru
TE44 turbo
Front mount intercooler
3" downpipe split to 2.5" pipe to Flowmaster 40s dumped
WorldClass T5
Custom driveshaft
8.8 with 3.55 gears from Fox
Grab a trac 4 leaf, mid eye rear springs
New stock front springs with 1 coil cut
Shelby 1" UCA drop
17x8 TT2
245 BFG Sports

I ran the six stock all the way through Highschool then tossed a 2 barrel carb, dual header and MSD ignition with later model dizzy on it along with the T5 trans. Before graduating college the timing chain went and I took advantage of the tear down to build the motor up, forged pistons, cam, put a Buick GN turbo on and had quite a bit of fun. The original block cracked while putting a head stud back in around a waterjacket and I tossed in a bone stock, free 200 from a friends 67. Ive thrown more boost at the stock motor without issue thanks to learning a couple fuel, timing and headgasket lessons with the old motor Fastforward to this month and Ive FINALLY and quite literally for the first time since the 2 barrel was introduced to the mix, got this sucker running like a normal car. It used to have a nasty lean spot that would stall the car out if you didnt pedal around it before which made day to day cruising a pain in the *** and launching nearly impossible. Ive done quite a bit of work learning and fixing the previous shop's mistakes and have it running like a dream. I almost tossed the entire setup in the corner and put together a simple 289/302. She's finally fun again and now Im lookin forward to throwing more time and money at her in the futue. Oh and as a side note, I sealed her fate by using it to ask the GF to marry me so now we BOTH agree that itll be around for quite some time Here are some recent pics of where she's at now.

Valve cover off reseating a valve seal in Gatlinburg for Shades of the Past. Kinda shows the setup. Its dirty but it works and its a driver not a show car so I dont care. I need to clean it up, spewed coolant all over on the way up there lol

Im about to pick up some (free) E30 Recaros this weekend then Ill finally put a little more work in the interior. Love this forum and am back in love with the car so I look forward to seein what happens next
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM
barnett468

is that air cleaner for show or is it supercharged?

that has a superb body on it.

you probably need a bit more air flow like better fan and 192 thermostat etc.

Last edited by barnett468; 09-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM

What kind of grille and emblem does that have on it?

Love em'

post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
That car is BITCHIN'! I've wanted to see a six with a blower for quite some time. Got any timeslips?

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
is that air cleaner for show or is it supercharged?

that has a superb body on it.

you probably need a bit more air flow like better fan and 192 thermostat etc.
In the last pic the carb hat is removed so I could get the valve cover off. The turbo is hidden in the pic, it pushes through the intercooler then to the carb hat into the carb. As for cooling, its got a bigger aluminum radiator, electric pusher fan and new waterpump and thermostat. It USED to stay cool all day any day no matter what but lately not so much. Ive flushed alot of crap out of the motor and radiator and prolly need to do it again. I also realized the lean condition in the carb happened to be where I was at when cruising at interstate speed which Im thinkin caused the extra heat. Minute I dropped to about 60mpg or so she cooled right off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangkid View Post
What kind of grille and emblem does that have on it?

Love em'
Its a stock 66 grill with the pony removed and the shelby grill emblem added

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
That car is BITCHIN'! I've wanted to see a six with a blower for quite some time. Got any timeslips?
Best she's ran in the past was a low 14 thanks to TERRIBLE (high 2) 60fts cause by the lean stumble in the carb and the old open rear end. Fooling around on backroads she was nasty quick and spooked alot of people so long as I could pedal through the dead spot. Now it launches better and runs like a champ. Ill take it back out and try again when I get it dialed in better. She put down 240rwhp at 9:1 rich and just over 300tq. Im thinkin itll have mid 300rwhp once I lean it out a bit!

Matt
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:49 PM

turbo 6 pretty cool , you ever run her in the 1/4 ? or dyno'd

1966 convert
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
barnett468

might put a gano radiator filter on it. reducing coolant and changing thermostat will help a lot guaranteed.

how much boost?

how much compression?

what rpm does boost start at?
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Heres a shot of the old turbo setup before the intercooler to simplify how the piping is ran to the carb.

Old turbo (stock Buick GN turbo) with intercooler added

Matt
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Heres the latest dyno before the 3" downpipe and new exhaust. First pull put down 151RWHP and was 10:1 rich. Leaned it out to 9:1 and almost picked up 100RWHP If I can get it closer to mid 11s AFR Ide be able to see what she was really made of!

I run a dual boost controller set to 15psi and 20psi but when it counts I rarely run less than 20psi. The motor is bone stock so whatever the stock compression ratio is what Im running. Stock pistons, rods, custom cam, ARP headstuds and a FelPro headgasket seem to LOVE 20psi so long as you have plenty of fuel! Not entirely sure when the boost really hits but its not bad lag wise. It rolls in to 5 psi pretty steadily then it cracks over to 20 and hits you like a freight train. Its truely a blast to drive especially for bein an oldschool little inline six!

Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 09-17-2013 at 05:02 PM.
post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Nice work! My first car was a 65 coupe 6 cyl.. I want another one but a stick this time.

1970 Mustang coupe.
347 with world products heads, roller cam, roller rockers, Cal custom finned valve covers, performer RPM intake and a holley carb.
Hooker headers, jegs 2.5 exhaust.
C4 trans with a shift kit and PAW converter
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y12.../70%20mustang/
Has jegs drag star knock offs now..... More to come when i get home!
post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 PM

I plan on adding a turbo to mine. I have a Classic Inlines head and intake. Keep us posted as you keep making it better.

1965 Mustang coupe, Poppy red with black interior, I6, DUI, Classic Inlines ALum head and intake, Clay Smith cam 264/264 110, Holley 390cfm 4bbl, Yella Terra 1.65 Roller Rockers, CI headers stainless with Jet-Hot ceramic coating, CI Stainless 2" impostor dual exhaust, Spectre Low profile carb hat, 4Cly T5 with Hyd throwout bearing, 17x8 Coys C-67 wheels, TMI interior,
post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Increasing hp and more giddy up equate to going faster and you're still using a single master cylinder.
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970_347 View Post
Nice work! My first car was a 65 coupe 6 cyl.. I want another one but a stick this time.
Before the turbo, the manual trans swap was the BEST thing I could do to the 6 to make it more fun to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Pens View Post
I plan on adding a turbo to mine. I have a Classic Inlines head and intake. Keep us posted as you keep making it better.
Shoot, Ide kill to have that head and a better intake! Im making decent power on the 70s style big log, cant even imagine what it would do with a better setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooponies View Post
Increasing hp and more giddy up equate to going faster and you're still using a single master cylinder.
Thats an old pic, but yes I ran around for the longest time on the stock 6 banger rear end, brakes and glass jar master cylinder. Now it has a maverick dual master cylinder and an 8.8 rear.

Matt
post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Garage
Looks great, but didn't see it at shades of the past, i guess i got there too late.

post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 01:20 PM

Very cool, I'm pretty sure I've seen this car before. Did it have black steelies for a while?

Fitting 315's on the '66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page