My 68 Build thread...and I'm in no hurry. - Page 8 - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes

post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
An update:

I've driven the car a few times now (including a very short spin around our neighborhood during Christmas). I still need to roll the fenders and do a final setting on the alignment but overall I am satisfied with how everything went. It rides and stops worlds better than it did before. Today I was outside doing a quick rough-in of the toe and camber and I got to use the RaceRamps that my amazing wife got me for Christmas. She says that they were for 'Pearl' but then casually mentioned that I could use them when i service the two DDs.....so I'm guessing that was her plan all along. I also finished the install of my other Christmas gift (my wife really loves me) which was a set of taillights, turn signals and reverse lights from Gary (gtonavy). They turned out amazing and the install went as easily as I was expecting it to.

Now starts the slow and very painful process of saving up for motor and transmission. The plan at the moment will be a roller 408 mated to a T5z. I've spoken to my friend since high school and trusted engine builder about what the game plan is.....and it involves me saving up dollars because I haven't gone into debt with this car yet and don't plan to!

Here are some gratuitous LED and Raceramp pics!

Please forgive the ninja-photoshop skills on the tag. My wife thinks the internet is out to get us!

Kris - Building the poor man's, wife-approved Mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:24 PM

Garage
Going to the Tucson meet in 2017? I started 2 years ago with a 1968 coupe from Santa Fe. Finally mechanically reliable and trim fixes. Enjoy the journey, you'll be cruisin' serious before y know it. Best wishes from NM.

- Bob Lange
Central New Mexico, USA
Red rocks. Blue skies. Green chile!
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:31 PM

Glad you like the lights.

Those big fat tiers on the rear look great.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane73 View Post
An update:

I've driven the car a few times now (including a very short spin around our neighborhood during Christmas). I still need to roll the fenders and do a final setting on the alignment but overall I am satisfied with how everything went. It rides and stops worlds better than it did before. Today I was outside doing a quick rough-in of the toe and camber and I got to use the RaceRamps that my amazing wife got me for Christmas. She says that they were for 'Pearl' but then casually mentioned that I could use them when i service the two DDs.....so I'm guessing that was her plan all along. I also finished the install of my other Christmas gift (my wife really loves me) which was a set of taillights, turn signals and reverse lights from Gary (gtonavy). They turned out amazing and the install went as easily as I was expecting it to.

Now starts the slow and very painful process of saving up for motor and transmission. The plan at the moment will be a roller 408 mated to a T5z. I've spoken to my friend since high school and trusted engine builder about what the game plan is.....and it involves me saving up dollars because I haven't gone into debt with this car yet and don't plan to!

Here are some gratuitous LED and Raceramp pics!

Please forgive the ninja-photoshop skills on the tag. My wife thinks the internet is out to get us!

1967 CV 289 A Code
1973 450SL
http://www.vintageleds.com/

post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonavy View Post
Glad you like the lights.

Those big fat tiers on the rear look great.

Gary
I do like them. A lot! And thanks for the compliment on the tires.
The car is starting to look a lot faster than it currently is....which can be a little troublesome at times. But!.....I just got off of the phone with my engine guy:
I just picked up a stock bore early 351w block and an Eagle rotating assembly (4340 crank, h-beam rods, etc) from a stalled project.....$800.

The 408 build starts sooner than i expected......WAY sooner!
Now i need to research how much compression ratio will happily live in a desert engine along with my expected hp/trq numbers because I don't know if a T5Z rated at 330 ft lb trq will be happy behind the stroked torque beast that Steve (engine guy) is wanting to build.

Stay Tuned!
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR868V8 View Post
Going to the Tucson meet in 2017? I started 2 years ago with a 1968 coupe from Santa Fe. Finally mechanically reliable and trim fixes. Enjoy the journey, you'll be cruisin' serious before y know it. Best wishes from NM.
I probably won't be doing much along the lines of heading to any meets in the near future. I do the GoodGuys show in the fall in Scottsdale and that's pushing my social interaction threshold as it is.

post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane73 View Post
I do like them. A lot! And thanks for the compliment on the tires.
The car is starting to look a lot faster than it currently is....which can be a little troublesome at times. But!.....I just got off of the phone with my engine guy:
I just picked up a stock bore early 351w block and an Eagle rotating assembly (4340 crank, h-beam rods, etc) from a stalled project.....$800.

The 408 build starts sooner than i expected......WAY sooner!
Now i need to research how much compression ratio will happily live in a desert engine along with my expected hp/trq numbers because I don't know if a T5Z rated at 330 ft lb trq will be happy behind the stroked torque beast that Steve (engine guy) is wanting to build.

Stay Tuned!
Lucky, stalled projects here still cost 10x as much! Albeit in Cdn funds...Good luck with the engine build!
post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:27 AM

Great thread ! The car is coming together nicely. Look forward to the engine build.
post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So here's the cliff notes version of the latest developments.

Some shots of the random engine parts that I've collected.

This is everything that came with the Eagle stroker kit that I acquired.

This is the second block that I picked up shortly after picking up the first.

See why the first block was 'free'?

Traveled down to my friend's shop to install the MMI Panhard kit, rough in the alignment and roll the fenders because i had a couple of scrub issues and didn't want to ruin the new tires.

More home alignment pics with friend's dad surfing craigslist on his phone for a Crown Vic to autocross....(he found one too!)

Panhard Bar prior to installation. Don't have any install pics though.

Armed and ready.

Starting point on the rears.

Getting there.

This lip will no longer chew on my tire.

And the gratuitous shot of his Chevelle. It has all manner of fancy go-fast, turn and brake hard parts on it. Built and painted right there in his shop too. It's not too shabby for a chevy.

I'll likely be doing some sort of subtle flares on the car at some point. The front passenger fender is a cheap replacement and has to go. Both quarters have prior light wreck damage on them and I'll probably just replace them versus trying to sort out all of the wrinkles under the bondo.

The engine build is still ongoing. I've been collecting parts and looking for a suitable block. I'm expecting my Terminator EFI kit to arrive tomorrow and once the cam specs get sorted out, I'll be ordering that and (likely) AFR 205 heads.
Once all that has been sorted, built, balanced and shipped, I'll start looking at sourcing my transmission. I'll be looking at a TKO500 or 600 since the current build numbers look to be approaching the 500 ft lb torque and hp range.
msh-r likes this.

post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 PM

Great build thread! Eager to see more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page