USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
What's it primered with?
It has e coat and over that it appears to be a lacquer primer. I was surprised that it had the silver primer when I got it, every other one that I've seen just has the e coat. The silver color will be removed and the whole thing will be done in epoxy primer after the body work.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Picked up the engine Friday, it's a Dart 363 from Fordstrokers.com. It has TrickFlow 205 11R heads, a custom ground cam, internal balance and lots of other stuff. Carb will be a Quick Fuel 750 DP. I'm going to dress it out like a 289 hypo, I may even paint the heads to match the block.

The heads are CNC ported and have 2.08 intake valves.

Exhaust side.
http://
Link bar roller lifters.
http://
Bottom end

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.

post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Moore engine photos

Carb is a Quick Fuel 750DP Those are 1982 vintage OEM valve covers, they won't fit with the baffles, Ansen makes some valve cover spacers that will raise them a little over an inch. That's next on my list

I'm using a screen type windage tray and the pump is from Precisionoilpumps.com. This one is a standard volume and the relief spring is adjustable. Also, the gearotor is supported by the bottom cover plate.

Canton front sump pan designed for Cobra kit cars. It's a little narrower than their other front sump pan. If you use the FelPro 1 piece gasket on a Dart block, the gasket needs some trimming at the #4 main. These gaskets have a steel center, so trimming it is a little more involved than with just a rubber gasket.

John

Last edited by j persons; 10-14-2015 at 10:02 AM.
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
It has e coat and over that it appears to be a lacquer primer. I was surprised that it had the silver primer when I got it, every other one that I've seen just has the e coat. The silver color will be removed and the whole thing will be done in epoxy primer after the body work.
that silver looks just like my dynacorn quarter panels with weld-thru primer...
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if it is weld through or not. It's pretty coarse, not smooth like the e primer. I've re- welded most of the spot welds at the torque boxes and cleaned all the primers off prior to welding. The weld through still burns when welded and makes a mess. The welds are easier to clean for finishing if all the primers are gone

John

post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I needed an engine stand that would allow me to assemble the engine, bell and trans so I could insure everything fit as it should without having to install it all in the car. At the advise of Tubbster1966, I got this engine stand at Speedwaymotors.com for pretty cheap. It originally came in two pieces and I didn't want that so I welded in some " X 1" rectangular tubing. I also ordered the caster kit for the stand. Painted the modification and it's the exact same color blue that Bendpak sent me to cover scratches on the lift. Speedway has the same deal that Summit has for shipping, spend $99 and shipping is free. So I bought enough stuff to get the free shipping. This stand is pretty heavy and shipping would have been expensive.

John

post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

A couple of minor things got accomplished yesterday. When I ordered the pan, I also got the Canton dipstick. IMO the dipstick tube looked a little cheap so I made another one out of 3/8" stainless tubing along with a bracket to stabilize the tube. The bracket is constructed from a piece of 1/2" stainless tube and a piece of stainless flat stock.

I'm using Fox serpentine brackets and a Sanden A/C compressor. I cut down the steel bracket because it just looked better without a chunk of steel bracket sticking up. Welcome to B.C. Broncos! The best source for Early Bronco Parts for your 66-77 Ford Bronco sells the compressor adapter brackets for less than $20.00 that adapt the Sanden compressor to the Fox serpentine brackets. One of the adapter brackets is bolted to the cyl head bracket.

John

post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:03 PM

Don't see the pics....
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

The Headers came in today, they are FPA headers, with a 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" step, 3" collector and ceramic coated. They are a little expensive but I've never heard a bad thing about them. They even stamp your name and the application into the flange. The step in the primaries is supposed to have a positive effect on torque production.

John

post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Fab'ed up the coolant pipes to the heater today, they're 5/8" stainless. I'll finish them after the engine is installed. I'm looking for a mandrel bender for the 5/8" tube so I can get rid of the preformed rubber hose at the water pump.

John

post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 AM

I like the heater hose set up. I have that engine stand too. Use it for removing the engine out of my Tiger. When dropping he engine out of the bottom bolt it on and roll the engine out. Easy to store too.
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:18 AM

What is the wall thickness of the tubing you need to bend? You don't need a mandrel bender, just a hand bender available from any industrial supply house, for tubing up to .065" wall thickness. .035" wall will handle the pressure just fine, though .065" would give more vibration tolerance, it just takes some muscle to bend. You could even eliminate the short braided sections with bent hard line (with different fittings).

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip

Last edited by stephen_wilson; 12-20-2015 at 10:21 AM.
post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I was thinking that the engine needed a little bling on top.
I think there are only a couple of engine stands that will allow you to bolt up the bell housing and transmission while the engine is on the stand. I have another one that supports the engine from the oil pan rails, but it won't work with a pan that has a kick out type sump.

John

post #45 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
What is the wall thickness of the tubing you need to bend? You don't need a mandrel bender, just a hand bender available from any industrial supply house, for tubing up to .065" wall thickness. .035" wall will handle the pressure just fine, though .065" would give more vibration tolerance, it just takes some muscle to bend. You could even eliminate the short braided sections with bent hard line (with different fittings).
It's 5/8" tube, probably .035, That whole thing was made up from mostly stuff I had laying around from other projects. I like to put a little flex line in stuff like this, it will keep from cracking the tubing.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page