New project - Page 5 - Vintage Mustang Forums

9Likes

post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

The right side of the trans tunnel. I needed about " more clearance on the right side so I formed this panel and gave it a compound curve. The floor stamping in this car is not at all good in this area, so I had to make it two pieces and weld them together to correct what the factory gave me. I used a mallet and sand bag, planishing hammer and an English wheel to form this one.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Adventures in Powder Coating

I got an Eastwood powder coat gun several years ago, and finally decided to try it out. I get my powder from powder365.com the have an extensive selection of colors and types, much more than Eastwood. These are Fox type AC brackets done in a medium gray metallic, and a clear gloss powder over that. The metallic really pops in the sun.

And my wheels came in, they are VWW V45, 17X8 and 17X9
Caper50 and J_C_W like this.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

New Shoes

BF Goodrich G Force sport 2 in 225/45/17 on VWW V45 17X8 and 255/40/17 on VWW V45 17X9. The tread on the rears is 10" wide and may, or may not work if you are using leaf springs.
Caper50 likes this.

John

post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:04 PM

John, those wheels and tires are going to look fantastic on your car
post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Almost finished with the transmission tunnel enlargement for the T56. I kept the stock top but raised it about 1 3/4", it's also widened at the front about 1". Compared to the original tunnel it almost looks like I could fit a Fuller 15 speed Road Ranger in there.

The block off at the rear of the tunnel was necessary because it was getting into the area of the one piece seat riser and I didn't want to cut it. Otherwise, there would be a cavity that would catch dirt, etc. In addition to welding in the tunnel on the inside, additional sheet metal was added to the underside weld area at the fire wall and the transmission tunnel to strengthen this joint.

I was orignially going to use a Ron Morris trans mount, but it didn't have the adjustment I needed. So I found this Alston/TCP cross member that will work. The mount that bolts to the transmission isolator will have to be modified, I think it's made to fit a Chevy and the bolt pattern is too narrow to fit the isolator that I have.

John

post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:48 PM
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

This was a test to see how these valve covers would look powder coated. The main color is medium gray metallic, with a gloss clear over that. The gray is about the same color that the body will be. I have three sets of these covers so hopefully I'll get it right before the final pair.

The engine and transmission are in for a test fit so that I can set the driveline angles and see how much room I have for the radiator and fans. I was originally going to use a RM adjustable trans mount, but it wouldn't work in this application, so I got a TCI cross member, it's much more robust, made from thick wall mandrel bent tubing and fabricated frame mounts. I'm going to use the RM adjustable engine mounts, set in the dropped position.

John

Last edited by j persons; 01-15-2017 at 09:59 AM.
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Correction: That is an Alston/TCP trans cross member, not a TCI cross member.

John

post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

The transmission cross member clamped in place. The end brackets will weld to the chassis, there is a billet clevis that welds to the tube, and then bolts to the chassis bracket. At this point, the main shaft is 3.2 down. Note the precision wooden transmission support.
67Modcoupe likes this.

John

post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Got the trans cross member built and will powder coat it tomorrow. This was a little more involved than what the TCP instructions said it would be. My Magnum 6 speed is rotated towards the driver about 3 or 4, so just bolting the cross member in and welding the brackets was not the case. I had to cut the cross member in half because one side was way higher than the other due to the trans and mount being rotated. By cutting the tube in half, I could rotate each side individually to allow them to mate up to the frame. I ordered a piece of DOM tubing to make a reinforcement inside the tube, it was plug welded and then butt welded after securing them in the correct location. The cross member is set to give 3 down angle.
The cross member tube was cut and a reinforcement tube was inserted and welded.

The cross member clamped in place prior to final welding. I'm also welding some 1/8" thick plate to the inside of the frame rail where the frame brackets will attach.

Here's the cross member completed and after media blasting, it will actually fit in my powder coat oven. I also had to widen the pad where the trans mount bolts to fit the Ford type mount, and I also decided to box in the mount for a little more reinforcement.

John

post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Got the trans cross member built and will powder coat it tomorrow. This was a little more involved than what the TCP instructions said it would be. My Magnum 6 speed is rotated towards the driver about 3 or 4, so just bolting the cross member in and welding the brackets was not the case. I had to cut the cross member in half because one side was way higher than the other due to the trans and mount being rotated. By cutting the tube in half, I could rotate each side individually to allow them to mate up to the frame. I ordered a piece of DOM tubing to make a reinforcement inside the tube, it was plug welded and then butt welded after securing them in the correct location. The cross member is set to give 3 down angle.
The cross member tube was cut and a reinforcement tube was inserted and welded.

The cross member clamped in place prior to final welding. I'm also welding some 1/8" thick plate to the inside face of the frame rail where the frame brackets will attach.

Here's the cross member completed and after media blasting, it will actually fit in my powder coat oven. I also had to widen the pad where the trans mount bolts to fit the Ford type mount, and I also decided to box in the mount for a little more reinforcement.

John

post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

This is the Tin man driveshaft loop, it only required some minor grinding on the ends to match the angle of the subframe connectors. It will be welded in and could supply some stiffness to the floor, I may weld in some tabs to connect it directly to the floor pan. It's sitting on my new toy, an Eastwood welding table. It's about the same price as the HF table, but I got it at a discount and with free shipping. It makes welding much easier, than bending over you project while it's laying on the floor.

This is how it will look installed, along with the Alston/TCP trans cross member. It's within 6" of the U joint.

John

post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Rear seat delete came in today, It will require a little trimming at the front but not too bad. I'm thinking about building a 1/2" square tube framework to support it and keep it from sagging in the center.

John

post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Just a mock up of the fuel and return lines. I welded stainless 1/4-20 bolts to the bottom of the floor pan so I could attach the Adel clamps to hold the lines. I'm using an Aeromotive in-tank pump and a bypass type regulator. I originally wanted the lines inside the SFC's,(driveline side) but the trans cross member and the driveshaft loop will be in the way. I wanted to keep the lines away from the headers and the exhaust so I routed them outside the SFC's and up through the torque box. I'm still undecided on which way to take the lines at the rear to the tank, I may just drill a couple of holes in the rear frame to get the lines inside, there is not a lot of weight on the rear of the chassis since I'm not using leaf springs, I'm using coilovers and the car weight is mostly forward of where I will drill the holes.

John

Last edited by j persons; 04-23-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Looks good! I am wondering though if it wouldn't be better to bolt that driveshaft loop in? Or at least do some test fitting of getting the driveshaft in and out with it in place.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page