Vintage Mustang Forums banner

New project

75K views 301 replies 57 participants last post by  Strong_lexus 
#1 ·
Dynacorn 67 Fastback. I just picked it up last night from the freight company. It will have a SorT coilover front and rear suspension with their 3 link, and a 9' rear axle. It will be small block powered. The door gaps look pretty good, except up near the door handle. Both sides will need some work. Apparently, Dynacorn invested in a spot welder, so far I haven't seen any plug welds. My next step is to rent a forklift and get it off the trailer and on to a rotisserie.

See less See more
#5 ·
How are you going to register it?

#6 ·
In Louisiana it's pretty simple, it's registered basically the same way one would register a home built trailer. All they want to see is where the parts came from and if I paid taxes on those parts. The parts that I didn't pay taxes on will be paid at registration time. Also a safety inspection needs to be done, and a State Police inspection. There's no smog checks in my area so I don't have to worry about that silliness. The tags cost about $6.00 for 2 years. Dynacorn has a web page that outlines the registration requirements for each state. The last car I built was a FFR Cobra in California. If I can get through that nightmare, I think I can get it registered here.

#11 · (Edited)
Finally got the body shell off the trailer and onto the rotisserie. I had to cut the transport frame up into three different sections to get it out from underneath the body. I'm going to turn the center section of the transport frame into a body cart. It already has the legs, all I need to do is bolt some casters to it. I have already drilled the shock towers for the Arning drop, and I'm going to reinforce the shock towers with some steel plate, plus reweld some of the seams Here's some photos.

#14 ·
On the Same Path?

Very interesting. I'm on a similar path. I completed my Factory Five Racing roadster in March 2014 (after an eight year build). Registered it in California under the SB 100 process. I took delivery of my Dynacorn 1967 Fastback in August 2014. I'm installing a Heidts Pro-G front and rear end. I plan to use a Ford Coyote engine backed with a Tremec T56 six-speed transmission. I have some build pictures on my Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/britt.fussel) (I hope this link will work).

I need to start a build page on this site.

#16 ·
Engine ordered today from fordstrokers.com It's a Dart 363 with TrickFlow 205 cc heads. Woody says it will take him about 5 months to complete it. Woody also recommended a Pro Systems 750 carb, and a Victor Jr intake. That sort of surprised me, I told him what it was going into and expected him to recommend a Edel RPM Air gap intake. I used a Victor jr on my Cobra, but it only weighed about 2100lbs, the '67 will probably weigh about 1000 lbs more.
The T56 Magnum and all the parts that go with has been shipped, and it should be ready to pick up next Monday at the freight terminal.

#17 ·
Must be pretty awesome to work with all new and CLEAN parts! I swear that I remove about two layers of skin from my hands every weekend after working on the car, and my hands still are never 100% clean. My gloves never seem to stay on.

Very much looking forward to watching your progress, and watching you spend some serious coin! ;)

Reactions: Israel
#18 ·
Woody is GREAT to work with! I've received my 408W several weeks ago. I believe his suggestions are based on what you tell him you want to do with your car.
For me, he did suggest the Edelbrock Air Gap and a Quick Fuel 750. I told him my hp goals and what I plan to do with my car. the engine hit the numbers on the dyno that I was looking for.
I also have T56 Magnum. I went with a quick time housing, Fidanza flywheel, McLead RST twin disk clutch and McLeod hryd TOB.
Can't wait to see more progress.

#19 · (Edited)
Picked up some new parts yesterday from Modern Driveline. That Magnum is a heavy SOB!

#20 · (Edited)
A little progress today, fitting the 3d link bracket and the Watts link bracket.Got the under floor brace rough cut to make room for the Magnum. I may weld in some 1/8" steel plate between the flanges to get back some of the strength I cut out.

#22 ·
A little progress today, fitting the 3d link bracket and the Watts link bracket.

Got the under floor brace rough cut to make room for the Magnum. I may weld in some 1/8" steel plate between the flanges to get back some of the strength I cut out.
i would add some triangle gussets (horizontal) from the end of the floor support to the trans crossmember (up to where you chopped it). then i would just cap off the ends you cut off.

#24 ·
Looking at the torque boxes today and discovered some less than effective welds. On the left rear, one side wasn't welded into the frame. Also on on of the front torque boxes, there was a nice straight weld, but it didn't attach to anything. It has a couple of spot welds, but not any seam welds. This was on a brace from the torque box to the front frame member. I'm going to reweld all the TB seams.

Reactions: mikev3704
#25 · (Edited)
While waiting for my SorT parts to get here, I decided to fit the Unisteer rack bracket to the chassis. First thing I had to do was hone the mounting holes back to round, the holes were elongated, probably due to being drilled prior to the mounting flange being bent. They were out of round enough to prevent the holes lining up with the holes in the chassis. Next the flange on the LCA bracket needs to be cut back for rack bracket clearance. After the rack was bolted back onto the bracket, it was apparent that the holes in the bracket that are used for LCA bolt access were not near big enough or positioned correctly, to get a socket in or to make camber adjustments, so they were enlarged to expose the LCA adjustment area. Next, the upper part of the bracket on the right side was trimmed back about 3/4" to make it look similar to the left side. This will also allow a more room for access to the starter.The bracket is 5/16" thick and not easy to cut using normal home shop tools. There may be some more trimming required after the suspension goes in.

#27 ·
I've done some minor body work and fill on the roof seams, etc but nothing major. I'm still waiting on Street of Track to send me the suspension so I can test fit it before blowing it all apart for painting the underside and engine compartment.

#28 · (Edited)
Got my SorT suspension last night, including the fabricated full floater 9"
Wilwood brakes, Bilstein coil overs and lots of other stuff. Here's a photo of the 9"