Brian's 66 coupe build - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

29Likes

post #16 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Some questions asked by a fellow forum member, well worth listing:

I have a few questions,

1) how did you get the doors lined up without the fenders on? I'd sure like to be able to do that as moving the doors with the fenders in place is cumbersome. I guess you lined the bottom of the door up with the body line on the outer rocker, and set the gap at the back of the door, Exactly but how did you decide how far out from the body the upper front corner of the door should be? Let the fit along the rocker and quarter panel guide you first. Roughly 1/4" gap, no need to measure, it's approx.. l also left the hinges bolted to the door so I wouldn't have to adjust in and out after they were installed. Also take the striker bolt off the quarter that will only give you false alignment if you leave it on. Get the door centered in the opening then mount and adjust the striker otherwise you are fighting 2 battles. Sometimes if I don't have a helper I will leave the striker on just to hang the back end of the door on, then I take it off. When you adjust a panel, do not tighten all bolts, tighten only 2 on each hinge and I make an adjustment on only 1 hinge at a time. Work on the height first then adjust in and out on the door side of the hinge. There may be more tweaking once you mount the Fender.

2) How big is the gap from the rear of the front fender to the cowl where the windshield molding goes? That is a fairly wide gap and it will require a little more attention on my car. I didn't get a chance to put the moldings on yet so can't confirm what the max. opening should be. Could you zoom in and take another picture? Picture to follow.

3) How far if front of the fenders is the corner of the hood? I'm gonna strip my head light doors and buckets so I can put those on and see where I'm at, but it'd be nice to know what yours measures. Have to get back to you on this one too, since I didn't hang the nose pieces. But I could get the measurement of what I have now. As Ryan already pointed out I measured the lower windshield pinch weld right behind the left wiper post to the front edge of the rad support, he provided the 55.5" and mine was the same for both sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
What happened ??!!

So?

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted piece of sheet."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #18 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Bought a gallon of paint stripper to strip the drivers side quarter. As I figured it was full of filler top to bottom and end to end. Once I cut it out I was glad I did, it was starting to rust fairly heavily behind the trim area and around the wheel house flange. Wheel house and quarter panel.

Braced the trunk hinge to keep that on for quarter alignment later on.

First quarter panel didn't fit so well. It was at least 1/4" too long from the belt molding to rocker panel. Someone told me it was possible it got flattened out during shipment but no, it had plenty of curve. It was also 1/4" too long in overall length. This was a Dynacorn branded quarter. Turned out both my Dynacorn quarters had issues. the passenger side was a 1/4" too short from belt line to rocker. Tough to catch a break. I ended up going with a Goodmark panel for the drivers side, I was much happier with the fit.

A little modification here,

A few screws and a few tack welds to hold in place while I do the other side. Once I have both quarters, tail light panel, trunk lid and rear valance aligned, I'll finish the welding and then sail panels last.

Last edited by Caper50; 01-06-2015 at 11:52 PM.

post #19 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Tommy, I decided to redo my build thread and have my original one deleted due to all the missing pictures. Almost finished.
post #20 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:36 PM

I thought you had picked up another car and was just knocking this one out in a single weekend.

Couldn't just add the deleted pictures?

What happened to the pics ?

post #21 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Passenger side quarter and wheel house.

Forgot to brace the right side hinge...almost lost the positioning. Also made a tool to remove the torsion springs thinking if I removed them I wouldn't have to add that hinge brace...WRONG. Add the brace.

post #22 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Wheel house welded in and inner roof support repaired.

New quarter installed

Just a few plug welds to hold everything in place while I aligned the deck lid and tail light panel.

post #23 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Tried to install the rear valance but the fit was off...surprise!!

Here's the old one with the new panel.

I decided to order an improved fit form NPD, it's also made from a heavier gauge steel.
post #24 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I thought you had picked up another car and was just knocking this one out in a single weekend.
That is funny because when I was just about done, I knew someone would look at this and think, boy he's really moving...hahaha. That's the old daze...now it takes me much longer to do everything. I've never been so bloody indecisive, not sure if it's an age thing or not

Quote:
Couldn't just add the deleted pictures?
Nope no function to do that, believe me I wish there was.

Quote:
What happened to the pics ?
If you change your privacy settings in photobucket you will lose every pic you post on the web...trust me.
post #25 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
That is funny because when I was just about done, I knew someone would look at this and think, boy he's really moving...hahaha. That's the old daze...now it takes me much longer to do everything. I've never been so bloody indecisive, not sure if it's an age thing or not

Nope no function to do that, believe me I wish there was.

If you change your privacy settings in photobucket you will lose every pic you post on the web...trust me.

I really need to download my account to a disc, but keep putting it off.

post #26 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 AM

Nice stuff....

Jeff
1967 Mustang 302/3 Speed Build
1965 Coupe/Fastback Conversion
1955 F100
2014 Sherrod Mustang

post #27 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 AM

Garage
u are amazing, great work there ! is mine next ?

post #28 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM

Garage
Love the engine shots! I can use these as an example of what I want mine to look like. About how much did it cost to get all the parts needed to make the engine look brand new?

Mine still looks rough but will get tackled soon, hopefully this spring. At least it has that Ford blue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MustangEngine1.jpg (89.5 KB, 73 views)

Laura
65 Mustang Coupe 289 V8 Caspian Blue
post #29 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM

Great work, Brian. You really tore that car up!

I'm glad you created a new thread because when I was perusing your original thread the other night I felt I was missing some big pieces of the project.

'67 Coupe - Rebuild Underway:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...e-rebuild.html
'78 F250 - Rebuilt in 2012/2013
'79 Bronco - Fixing as I go

post #30 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
About how much did it cost to get all the parts needed to make the engine look brand new?
Laura, a rough estimate is approx. $3200 parts & labor. A good rebuilder will want to strip the engine first to see exactly what it looks like before anything is ordered, no need to waste money buying parts that aren't needed. My crank and cam was like new so those weren't replaced...everything else though was. I bought the engine rebuild kit from Summit (Federal Mogul). If your cylinder walls have a ridge they will need to be re-bored. I went with .030 over pistons. I also replaced all the valves, springs, rockers, push rods, seals, main bearings, water pump, timing chain and gears, distributor(mine was cracked), fuel pump and an Autoline rebuilt carb from NAPA. I have since picked up a 66 4 barrel intake but after thinking about all that extra weight I may go for an aluminum intake from Edelbrock. I wanted to do a mild cam upgrade initially but when I was ordering the parts the one I wanted was on back order and I didn't want to hold up the guy who was doing the work. I may end up changing it before it's ready to go in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page