1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

14Likes

post #16 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 10:26 AM

Where at in Florida are you. I'm on the gulf side birth of Tampa in spring hill. I hate to hear that you can't even work on a car in your own garage!!
Indianfiremach likes this.

Current stable
65 fastback
65 coupe
66 coupe
94 Cobra, on a rotisserie right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra94svt View Post
Where at in Florida are you. I'm on the gulf side birth of Tampa in spring hill. I hate to hear that you can't even work on a car in your own garage!!
I'm in Miami, Dade County. People have told me to put up tall fences and hide my work from the county, but its one of my neighbors that is calling and reporting me, not the county code enforcement driving by. I'm going to find out what the minimum requirements are to keep the car in the garage. I was told that it had to start and run, so will adding the drive train to it solve the problem? There is still that 72 hour repair issue, so I need to find if there is another way to classify this as it NOT being a repair job, but a hobby. At any rate, I still have heads to port...

1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Delivered to Ball Ford in Miami Florida, purchased by Hertz Rent A Car for delivery to Miami Internation Airport
post #18 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
Did the 1" Shelby upper control arm drop. Got a template and proper sized drill bit off Ebay. Blasted the rusty springs and re-finished them. Its at this point that one of my neighbors decides that they do not like me working on my car and calls the county on me. I am informed that I am not allowed to do work on a car that lasts more then 72 hours and also that I am not allowed to keep a non drive-able car on my property, not even inside my garage. I get a proper notification of violation and have 2 weeks to remove the car. So, very quickly I assemble the front and rear suspension so I can load the car on the trailer and take it away. I am lucky that my brother owns warehouses and I am able to store the car for now, but this is going to make it very difficult to work on the car its self. I still have a lot of parts and components at the house, but I am sure most of you know how that goes.

How is it possible that the county can tell you what you can and can not do in your own garage. I would be very upset. I build all of my cars in my three car garage that is attached to my house in a gated community with a strict home owners association. As long as I keep my cars in the garage they can not dictate what I do with them.

Forrest Robinson
Tucson AZ.

post #19 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCOBRA View Post
How is it possible that the county can tell you what you can and can not do in your own garage. I would be very upset. I build all of my cars in my three car garage that is attached to my house in a gated community with a strict home owners association. As long as I keep my cars in the garage they can not dictate what I do with them.
I and many others agree, but have looked up the codes myself and the county does say I can not do this type of work at my house and I am not allowed to have a "Junk" (no engine, transmission, tires) car on the premises. But remember, its not so much the county as it is a neighbor who was constantly calling them when ever I rolled the body out of the garage. I was changing light bulbs and had to push the body out to do so when someone called again, and the code enforcement officer showed up to cite me. Unfortunately my 2 car garage is too small to keep the car and all the tools inside and have me work on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150510_172820.jpg (99.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 20150607_184535.jpg (94.4 KB, 158 views)

Delivered to Ball Ford in Miami Florida, purchased by Hertz Rent A Car for delivery to Miami Internation Airport
post #20 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:49 AM

That just sucks, I would be looking for a new place to live. Sorry to here about your idiot neighbors. Don't ever give up.

Forrest Robinson
Tucson AZ.
post #21 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCOBRA View Post
That just sucks, I would be looking for a new place to live. Sorry to here about your idiot neighbors. Don't ever give up.
Relocation is a possibility, just not right now. Was looking in the West Palm Beach (Loxahatchee Groves) area a couple of years back, might start looking again.

post #22 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 02:09 PM

WOW, the county has wild chickens all over the place and you can't have an old tire on the side of the house! What kind of chicken crap is that?
post #23 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Installed the SSBC rotor and pad kit today. I had previously cleaned and restored the rest of the brake hardware. Not too happy with SSBC, the kit I got did not come with the bearings. After being on hold with Tech Support for just over an hour, the tech could not tell me which bearings, seals, or dust caps I need. I ended up purchasing 4 sets before I had the right bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151206_234845.jpg (98.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20151219_144728.jpg (84.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20151219_144734.jpg (81.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20151219_144751.jpg (97.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 20151219_144801.jpg (80.6 KB, 84 views)

post #24 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Visions of things to come. A Holley 4150 HP Series vacuum secondary carb. Should give me the extra CFM I'm going to need while also being very tunable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151213_171459.jpg (98.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20151213_171535.jpg (99.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20151213_171559.jpg (96.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20151213_171629.jpg (68.3 KB, 69 views)

post #25 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Spent new Years Eve and then morning working on a few parts. Going through all my parts bins looking for things that need to be restored, and what needs to be replaced, and whats missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151220_204037.jpg (97.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20160101_135253.jpg (100.5 KB, 73 views)

post #26 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:13 AM

- Great build thread! Thanks for sharing. It occurs to me I've never actually seen a 1969 GT350 H.

- Man, your county code situation really blows the proverbial monkey chunks. And your neighbors are flaming tools!

- If you could please use links to online photos instead of thumbnails, it would help everyone to better enjoy your build thread.

- It's really cool that you're keeping your original iron heads. I had a '69 Cougar with the factory 351W I rebuilt years ago. I did a lot of checking around and research. A very reliable old-timer informed me the 351W heads really respond well to porting; especially on the exhaust side. The term he used to compare the factory heads to ported heads was "Jekyll and Hyde". Thus, I think if you get some good porting work done, you'll be very happy with your iron heads. And they already have closed combustion chambers, so you got that going for you. (In my case, it turned my budget wouldn't support porting the heads.)

- I'm sorry the sheet metal work you had done is so lackluster. I never welded before I started my project and even my welds are better than that! Kudos to you for doing it right yourself.

I'm subscribed. Keep those updates coming and Happy New Year!

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #27 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Spent new Years Eve and then morning working on a few parts. Going through all my parts bins looking for things that need to be restored, and what needs to be replaced, and whats missing.

Very nice! May I ask what paint you used on your hood hinges? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to phosphate my hood hinges, coat them with Boeshield or just paint them.

Thanks!

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #28 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Very nice! May I ask what paint you used on your hood hinges? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to phosphate my hood hinges, coat them with Boeshield or just paint them.

Thanks!
Not sure if I'm missing something here, but you click on the thumbnails and they open up bigger, right?

post #29 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Not sure if I'm missing something here, but you click on the thumbnails and they open up bigger, right?

Yes, the thumbnails are working, and that's fine. It's just a little nicer when we don't have to click on every pic to see it clearly. Also, the pictures tend to be slightly larger if you use a link. You can see what I'm talking about if you look at my build thread.

It's just a suggestion. By no means am I saying there's anything wrong with your build thread as it is.

post #30 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post

Thanks!
I thought about doing the home phosphate thing, but its still mostly bare metal and they say you need to keep them oiled or they will rust again.

Being in Florida with the high humidity, and that I want to drive the car, I have opted to paint. For the darker items like the hood hinges, I used Rust-Oleum's Flat Soft Iron. It goes on with a bit if gloss and sparkle, but when it dries it has a nice flat dark metal look.

For yours, decide what you want to do with the car and then plan accordingly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page