Dan's 65 Fastback - RestoMod build - Vintage Mustang Forums

12Likes

post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Dan's 65 Fastback - RestoMod build

I find myself hanging out here a lot more lately, so figured I'd put up a build thread.

This is an A code that was born on May 13, 1965.

My car might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I wanted a car that I will drive a lot, so it's getting a number of modern updates. Since I'd have to buy everything anyway, I figured I'd go a bit better than stock.

My Plan:
Go to go with a GT350 look for the car. Not 100% sure on the color yet...I know that all the GT350's in 65 were white, but I might stray from that.

Here's what I started with:

Since this picture was taken, I improved the fit of the seat risers and welded them in place. I did a trial fit with the ratty stock seat and I have plenty of head-room, so I didn't need to shorten them.

Here's the plan for parts I'm going to be using (most of them ordered already).

Front Suspension:
Control Freak Coil-Over setup in front
TCP Power Steering Rack with Ididit column
CSRP 1.5" drop spindles
Wilwood 6 piston front brakes

Rear Suspension:
Control Freak Rear 4 link
Ford 9" with 3.55 gears
Wilwood rear disc brakes setup

Interior:
Going to go with something like a Procar Elite or maybe a modern mustang seat. Might even try to find a reasonably price set of seats for a 911 (wouldn't mind having the power & heat features...need to measure the ones in my car and see if they'd fit).

Rear seat delete (going to use the Shelby tray from Cobra Auto)

Shelby style roll bar...mostly for a place to mount a racing harness and give it the shelby look. Bought it from Tommy already (see this thread for details: Shelby Rollbar/Removeable Cross Bar Pics )

Will install AC/Heat...still undecided, but leaning towards Vintage Air (had on it my 68 Camaro and it worked well). But open to suggestions. I don't really want the vintage looking - big box in front of the shifter unit for the car, but I think Classic Auto Air has a hidden unit too. Have plenty of time before I need to decide.

Body:
No major changes. Going to use the front "R" valence from Branda that allows me to also run a front bumper. I think that gives the car a more aggressive look (without going full race look).

Wheels:
For now, planning on using the 17" Cragar Eliminator wheels (with gray centers). Those look a lot like what came on the GT350's...but I need bigger wheels for the larger front brakes and I want the performance you get from a 17" tire. I have 15's on my Cobra and you can definitely feel a difference between when I run those and my 17" auto-cross wheels.

Where I'm at now:
I ordered the front torque boxes and will work on getting them installed this weekend. Then I'll work on some welding of the shock towers and any other spots that need it. Suspension parts should start showing up next week, so then I'll focus on making it a roller.

Might just try to get some crappy donuts so I can roll it up onto my lift so I can seal the underside and put some bedliner on the bottom. I know some people think bedliner was used to hide crappy repairs/rust, so I'll take a ton of pictures to show I wasn't covering up anything. I know I'll drive the car a lot and want something more durable than just paint on the bottom.
tbrooks and image98 like this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

Last edited by Dan Babb; 02-25-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:56 AM

Garage
Sounds like it is going to be a nice build. When I built my 65 Fastback, April 3 1965 build date, I too decided to go Restomod as I wanted modern conveniences. You might want to put in a bigger radiator like I did with twin 11" 2800 CFM fans, and never worry about overheating again.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Hey Dan - glad to find you posting here

I've abandoned the old ff site due to changes and have only been hanging out at the factory forum and here lately. I'll keep an eye on your progress and you're welcome to call me anytime. Check out my thread here, too - note my different user name.

Best,
Chris

post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muligan View Post
Hey Dan - glad to find you posting here

I've abandoned the old ff site due to changes and have only been hanging out at the factory forum and here lately. I'll keep an eye on your progress and you're welcome to call me anytime. Check out my thread here, too - note my different user name.

Best,
Chris
You can go into your user profile so it still has the old look...I find it a lot easier to use that way. Will find your thread here too so I can follow your updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
You might want to put in a bigger radiator like I did with twin 11" 2800 CFM fans, and never worry about overheating again.
Definitely in the plan.

I'm not planning on going to wild with the engine. Probably a 347 at most. I have an 89 5.0 block in my garage I can use as a starting point if I can't find a running 302 or 5.0L for a fair price. I pulled it out of my Cobra a while back because I wanted more power...it was a good runner and has never been bored. I turned it into a coffee table base (no mods to the block) but never bought the glass top because I don't have anywhere to put it.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 01:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
Looks like it will be an awesome build. One word of caution. There is a known issue with the control freak coilover setup. The bushings mine came with ate themselves almost immediately. So I converted them over to bearings. I spent weeks going back and forth with Al getting promises to send me out a solution and in the end had to do it on my own. Maybe it has changed since but you definitely want to swap to bearings before install.

I built something pretty similar to what you are proposing, my build thread is in my signature.

Can't wait to see it progress!

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:44 PM

Definitely want to watch the progress.
post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

I might be the slowest builder on the planet.

I have about 5 hours into getting the back half of the passenger torque box bent to shape and ready to weld to the toe board.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1456604659.761558.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1456604678.745771.jpg

I figured I would drill the holes in the floor and plug weld from inside since the torque box is the thicker piece of metal. Thought it would give me less a chance of burning through (since I'm still working on my welding skills). Good plan or did I do it wrong?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Passenger side torque box and gusset installed.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1456973758.166992.jpg

Taking a few days off to go to a NASCAR race (Vegas), then I will start on the driver side.

At my snail's pace, this might be a 5 year project.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Driver side torque box installed.

This side went a bit quicker and my welding skills are improving as I go. Still not good enough to want them to be in an area of the car that would be seen...but better than when I started this project a short time ago.

Found a motor for the car. Bought it a bit early, but it was a good deal, so I pulled the trigger.

It's a 302 with Dart Iron Eagle Heads and a Holly carb. It has a bit over 3,000 miles on it and is complete from carb to pan. It's only rated at 305hp...but it came out of a running Backdraft Cobra that's getting a major performance upgrade, so it should be a problem free starting point for me.

For now, this is what my budget would support. I figured as a future winter project (after the car is done), I could always pull it out and make a stroker out of it if I wanted more power.

I'll still need the trans & bellhousing, but I can watch the ads for a good deal while I work on other stuff.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:27 PM

very nice!
post #11 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Post office sucks. Had a small package waiting at the side door for me today. It was open and the part was nowhere to be found. Wasn't big bucks..$17 export brace support piece…I'm sure the guys at CJP will send me a new one.

Been working on getting the roll bar fitted. I'm going to install it like the guys at Mustangs To Fear do…ordered up a piece of tubing today that should be here on Sunday. Will post up some pics when it's all done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5118.jpg (87.4 KB, 124 views)

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #12 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 PM

I am definitely interested in your build. Please keep this updated so I can follow.
post #13 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Started to fit the supports that will mount to the wheel wells today.

First time notching tube…fit came out pretty good. I practiced on a piece of scrap tube I bought at the recycling yard first…then dove in with the real thing.

For now, I left the horizontal tube a bit long…I'll cut it to fit in stages so I don't go too short with it. It's easier to shorten a tube than it is to lengthen it.

Tomorrow, the 2" tube I bought for the bottom brackets will show up (love Sunday delivery with Amazon), so I can get those made up. Then I will bolt in the back plates and trim the horizontal legs to fit…then start welding them up. Plan is to have the roll bar fitment done by mid-week.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
post #14 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:49 AM

Nice work .
post #15 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Geoff.

Got the 2" tubing the mail this afternoon, so I made up both lower mounts and got them in. Considering I only had a sawzall to cut the tube in half, I think it came out good.

I also got one of the rear tubes setup and ready to weld in. Just need to mount the bracket to the wheel tub first.

My welds still won't win any beauty contests, but I'm getting better at it. Big thanks to Brad for coming by last week to give me some pointers.
bigblockeric likes this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page