BA Pony 67 coupe resto/mod - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes

post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 10:17 PM

I love Sonic Blue, Miss my '03 Cobra that was that color. Looks great on a vintage Stang too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, today was a busy day. The last major project was to install my new Global West front suspension. I have been waiting for this for about 6 weeks. This is the big project that gets me closer to being a roller, then on to bigger and more expensive things, like an engine.

While I was unpacking this and playing with it, I had the thought of Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds, building his Mustang engine in his kitchen. For me, it was the suspension in the dining room. It will make it to the car when I am done appreciating it. This is some serious engineering. I also seriously doubt I need this much engineering, but "need" is such a subjective term.

I went with the Opentracker roller perches. Again, who doesn't need more solid engineered parts? I put this off for 20 years. I have lost time to make up for.

No point in buying high end suspension and not doing the Arning drop. I was planning on half inch holes, but Global West used a 9/16th, so I had to do a last minute tool purchase of a new metal bit. Disaster barely averted. The project continued.

It came together surprisingly quick. It may have something to do with no fenders or anything else on the tire side of the engine bay. Did I mention how impressive the engineering of this stuff is?

The adjustable strut rods are my favorite part from a cool factor. Totally not what I was expecting in a design. All of these things have joints all over where there used to be big rubber bushings. To tie the steering together, I also put in an Opentracker idler arm. Just missing a steering box now. And everything south of that.

I still have to decide between progressive and linear springs. I actually have both currently. I figure I just need something to get it on the ground now, and they will surely need cutting when I get near the driving stage, so I can keep putting off the final decision there.

The rear end should be back to me soon. I need to figure out what to do with brakes next. I am being told not to put the single piston back in as these are 68 spindles. Standard debate about disk rear end too while I currently have none. Back to waiting on parts and research.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I spent a little time this morning putting on the last of my parts on hand. I put on the progressive springs, set the shocks in place (seems like a good place to store them for now) and put on the spring covers that I previously cleaned up.

post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 01:45 PM

Very nice results!

I think some times when jumping in on a project like this there is fine line between being committed and ready to be committed. Many folks thought I was ready to be committed.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
Very nice results!

I think some times when jumping in on a project like this there is fine line between being committed and ready to be committed. Many folks thought I was ready to be committed.
It helps to not really understand the magnitude of what you have committed to when you start.
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAlbrecht View Post
So, today was a busy day. The last major project was to install my new Global West front suspension. I have been waiting for this for about 6 weeks. This is the big project that gets me closer to being a roller, then on to bigger and more expensive things, like an engine.

I went with the Opentracker roller perches. Again, who doesn't need more solid engineered parts? I put this off for 20 years. I have lost time to make up for.

[IMG]https://bapony.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/wp_20160416_16_58_05_pro.jpg?w=1024[/IMG}
Brad, looks really good. What product was used on the outer side of the aprons back to the firewall (front wheel well essentially)? I have used a product by Dupli-Color called truck bed liner that does a pretty good job, but really like the looks of yours.

Allen
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Brad, looks really good. What product was used on the outer side of the aprons back to the firewall (front wheel well essentially)? I have used a product by Dupli-Color called truck bed liner that does a pretty good job, but really like the looks of yours.

Allen
The shop who did the body/paint put something on he called Raptor Liner. It's effectively a spray on bed liner. Before he did mine, I saw it on the underside of another truck he was restoring. They use this on everything that ends up being driven rather than going for concourse. It's solid stuff. I'm happy with how it turned out too.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 07:09 AM

Gotcha. I used that on the bottom of another 66 Mustang I have...tough stuff.

Thanks,

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raptor.jpg (97.4 KB, 42 views)
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I made a little more progress in the past 3 weeks. I had some issues with a broken tap, which led me to finally give up on the non original spindles and go back to the 67's. The clencher was the Wilwood system requiring drilling and tapping for their kit on the 68 spindles, but not for the 67 due to bolt configuration. Yet the same kit works for both.

Once I was over the drilling issue, they went on fairly easily. I wish I didn't have to mess with packing the bearings, like changing the brakes on my '05, but oh well. That's what soap is for.

For those who want more detailed pictures or the fine details, I wrote it up on the blog also.

https://bapony.com/2016/05/08/wilwood-disc-brakes/

While I was waiting for parts, I also started tearing down the doors and transferring things to the new shells. I have a new appreciation for the engineering inside these things. I haven't written it all up yet, nor finished either side, but I got started at least. The blasting booth is getting some time. I couldn't use other pictures I took since the reflection is so perfect with the sun out today, you can see all my junk in my garage.

post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 07:08 PM

Garage
NICE!
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A little progress over the past 3 weeks. Replacing brakes with Wilwood is a bit of a chore. Since I am going with the whole system, and the proportioning valve is in a different location, I foresee an education in brake line bending and flaring in my future. And since I love seeing all the pictures people share, I figure I should contribute as well.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am a bit nervous about it fitting correctly, but as things come together, I will just have to figure out what needs tweaking in that corner of the engine bay.

It seems that little bracket there is one of the parts not produced. Who knew. Good thing I still had it. I am also glad the original brake line direction works with these Wilwood brakes so I don't have to get too creative.

While cleaning up the horns, I looked all over for a picture of the mounting orientation. Since I never found one, I figured I should make one.

As mentioned on another thread also, I found some work for Mustang Steve on my pedal assembly. I should get it back this week with new roller bearings.

In trying to get the brakes all re-assembled, I am learning about the house that Jack built. Every part seems to have one more that needs to be installed before it. Brake lines, master cylinder, pedal assembly, firewall insulation. I hope that's the end of the line for the front brakes at least.

As usual, I also posted more details on the build blog. https://bapony.com/2016/05/30/small-progress/
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Someone was asking about the reproduction hood chrome last week. I just installed mine and it looks great. It was a bit tight getting it on, but once it's on, its there for good. All the screw holes lined up even (bonus!) I am looking forward to seeing this on the car, but its going to have to wait for a while.

post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 10:45 PM

Garage
Awesome work, I'm looking forward to seeing everything progress! You've got me even more excited to get back home to my '67!

That Global West front end looks pretty sweet. I might have to look into that when it's time to redo my front suspension.

1967 Coupe, 289, TKO600, 3.50 Trac-loc 8 Inch.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The hardest part about a total teardown and rebuild is not getting to drive it after making each major change to see how it affects the over all result. I mean everything looks cool so far, but all the parts I pick up like the roller perches, GW suspension and Wilwood brakes, but man, its killing me to just have it all sitting in the garage without being able to take it for a spin to see how it has improved.

While it's a blast to build, its an exercise in patience as well. And I don't even have it on the ground yet. if you do get the GW suspension, let me know how it rides
englane likes this.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake pedal assembly has arrived from Mustang Steve. Looks good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page