BA Pony 67 coupe resto/mod - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

3Likes

post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:14 PM

That does look awesome. How much of that did he include in the service? I was going to do mine myself with his kit, but dang it may be worth just letting him do it.

Regards,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I sent in the 2 pedals and the bracket with some rattle can black. It came back with all the parts to re-assemble it. Not included from the picture are the brake light switch and the rubber pedal covers. It came with the bearings, plastic guides, retaining washer, and the cotter pin. Basically everything to reassemble the pedals, but none of the other finish rubber, etc. He also painted the areas that needed cleaning up from welding. I'm very happy with it. Another over engineered part of the project.
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have been doing a lot of little things since the last update. Mostly based on what parts arrive and what I am still waiting on. I spent some time fighting with the Borgeson conversion. Since this is an early 67, I had much to learn. If there were ever a next time, here is what I would do differently (so far).
  • Consider sticking with manual steering, but probably not stock.
  • If Borgeson, go with the 1 1/8" sector shaft option
  • Measure the steering column before disassembly. Everyone says this, but I didnt disassemble it myself. I think I have headaches ahead.

The early 67 1" manual pitman arm is something to avoid. It's unique and not reproduced. I wish when I called NPD, the sales person would have told me that before shipping me a 1" Borgeson conversion kit and a pitman arm for power steering, which wont work.

I got it connected, and I think the engine compartment side of the work is done. I need to do the steering column measuring and cutting next, and maybe find my original wheel so I don't have to buy the new one just to see it roll/steer. I also have the bearing kit from MustangSteve waiting to install on the steering shaft just above the rag joint.

I am also left with my old steering box. The magic decoder ring says its a 19/1, and it has the integral shaft, so its annoying to handle. The tag reads SMB-A 7A20B

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 12:20 AM

you have an awesome build going on there man! keep up the good work
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:30 PM

This is just beautiful. I love the Sonic Blue on the car. Fantastic work!

1965 Mustang Coupe - Twin Turbo Coyote Pro Touring Build In Progress
2013 Focus ST - Peppy Daily Driver
1988 Mazda RX7 - 76GTS boosted LS1/T56 - ProEFI, 8.8 4 link, ~800 RWHP, 2800 lbs. SOLD
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. My wife had no idea what she unleashed when she suggested I get to restoring it.
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
fuel line

Fuel line installed. More to researching for an early 67 than there is to installing it. Early/late 67 adds a twist for getting the right parts. Fortunately, there are some good pictures out there via Google.

Brake lines are not so simple.
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Little side project. I want to move things out of the big pile of smelly/dirty things and into the "clean shiny stuff" area. With that, I tore up my back seat and took it to get sand blasted and powder coated to prep for a new skin. I was worried about the seat bottom with the amount of rust it had on it, but it turned out looking great, with just minor pitting. I should have had it done in an exciting color.

post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:58 AM

post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 02:15 PM

Absolutely amazing build so far. Really hoping I don't have to go cutting out tons of my own 67 when I get to that stage.
Out of curiosity? why keep the manual steering?
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catinzehat View Post
Out of curiosity? why keep the manual steering?
The Borgeson is a power steering conversion, but it uses the manual steering hardware other than the box. I have heard a number of people say they prefer the feedback from manual steering, so if I did it again, I may start with that and see how it went with all the other changes. Its much cheaper, and less change. Change has all been headache so far. I hope it pays off
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAlbrecht View Post
The Borgeson is a power steering conversion, but it uses the manual steering hardware other than the box. I have heard a number of people say they prefer the feedback from manual steering, so if I did it again, I may start with that and see how it went with all the other changes. Its much cheaper, and less change. Change has all been headache so far. I hope it pays off
Ah alright, I was looking at trying that Saturn vue column MOD myself but ti
This may be something to look into
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More side project progress. Still waiting for my rear end. I have been working on the doors for a while as some of you may have noticed from my variety of problems and questions with the replacement doors. I still have a couple finish things to do on the passenger, and some on the driver, but its close enough to write up and update the build thread.

I noticed while I was updating the blog that the original vinyl parts are all darker than the replacements. Not a big deal since it looks way better being new vs chewed up, but something to note for replacement parts.

I also learned what an extruded speed nut was. Who knew? There are 2 on each door window. Hard to find, but I found a box of 50 on amazon for $15.

I don't like restoring doors, but it's all worth it to have nice, new doors that close tight and line up well.
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A little more progress. I cleaned up the wiper motor, mounting bracket, and wiper arms. Painted things and put them back in the car. Small steps, but it all reduces the pile of parts to be put back or replaced.

I hope I don't have to take it out again later for other parts, like heater or wiring. It was kind of annoying to get everything threaded and tightened down, even without other things already installed.

I also wrote a few more details and pictures to document the details on the blog. https://bapony.com/2016/07/16/wiper-motor/
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Continuing with the small parts, I spent some time on the wiper washer system. The pump is interesting, meaning not reproduced. I cleaned it up as best as I could and replaced the parts I could, which are the rubber bellows and a garden hose O ring. Realistically, at this point, its just going to be an intermittent wiper switch, but having it not leak is a bonus.

If this is your thing, I wrote it up on the blog here.

I had to take some care in getting it working again. I don't remember it ever actually moving washer fluid before. It turns out the valves into the pump were both stuck and I had to work them free with a paper clip. Then I had to get it water tight again. Good times. I am surprised no one has replaced the bellows with a remote switch for an electric pump yet.

I will get this mounted later when I am putting the interior together. With the floor replaced, it doesn't have the original holes to show exactly where to mount it, so I will need to work around the kick plate and such when I drill them. Probably a better project for after it's on wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page