BA Pony 67 coupe resto/mod - Page 5 - Vintage Mustang Forums

5Likes

post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am starting on the headliner now. I plan to have a local shop do the install, but buying all the parts myself. I thought the previous headliner may have been white even though I have a 2B interior code. It seems its more likely that I just have bad lighting in my garage. When the white headliner came it, it did not pass the wife's taste. She was able to see better than I that it wasn't right. I thought it was 50 years of fade and grime that made the original visors look that way. After the light blue headliner arrived, it was clear that was the right one. I was worried about a baby blue, but its more of a blue grey.

Top is the light blue, bottom is the white. The visors are the originals. I will see how far they are faded when the repro visors arrive.

Before I take the car in to have the headliner installed, I decided to do some Dynamat. Again, my wife convincing me not to go cheap at this stage. She clearly isn't seeing the bills for parts, but hey, im not going to argue a good point.

I will put it all on the blog when the headliner install is complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
While coordinating moving things around for the headliner, the parts came in for the final seat assembly, and Trimcraft finished assembling my seats. The seat side project is finally all but complete. I still have a few minor things to finish off, but they involve paint which requires good weather for me.

powder coated the frames

New sport seat padding

New sport seat upholstery

A gratuitous shot of my "girlfriend's room" as my wife calls it. Just before rotating the variety of seat parts for carpet parts.
https://bapony.files.wordpress.com/2...943.jpg?w=1000
Not a fan of the seat trim/molding. It's flat, but its also flat. I think its aluminum.

Amazed at the clean look once completed. There's just something about this that I love.

I still have to do a little painting of the inside hinge covers and the passenger frame rails before I can really be complete. I hope to get that done tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. The back seat is done too, but I already put it away as it didn't need any final assembly (boring). I also wrote it all up on the blog with a few more pictures, and details of what parts I ordered for anyone looking to do this themselves as well.
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:14 AM

Those seats look great! You are putting alot of quality into this project.

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w

post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Those seats look great! You are putting alot of quality into this project.
Thanks. My wife asked me as I was assembling them if I ever thought I would put this much time or money into this (or any) car. The answer was definitely not, but I sure do enjoy doing it.
post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAlbrecht View Post
Back when I first got introduced to the mustang, it was due to a good friend of mine in high school having one for a daily driver. We had lots of fun and got into a lot of trouble. That one was Nightmist blue, or close to it.
Does this mean that I get to take it out for its maiden drive as a Thank You?

She's coming along nicely Brad.
Dcubedus

Nightmist Blue 67 Coupe (C Code - C4) - Owned since 1987
Nightmist Blue 67 GT Fastback (S Code - 4spd) - Owned since 2013
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubedus View Post
Does this mean that I get to take it out for its maiden drive as a Thank You?

She's coming along nicely Brad.
Dcubedus
Maybe if you want to test out the passenger seat.
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Finished product on the headliner looks pretty good. The flash on the camera shows every line in the headliner though. It looks much better without the harsh light of the flash.

Details on the blog, including part numbers and some more pictures. https://bapony.com/2017/01/27/headliner/
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just a quick picture to commemorate 50 years off the assembly line today. I pulled (pushed?) it out of the garage last week so I could turn it around and work on the driver side door. First time they have both been in the same picture. I will have to at least dust it off for the next time. Maybe it will be running even.

post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's been a while since I updated here. Mostly small projects. Unfortunately, the transmission went out on my '05, so funds had to get diverted from '67 parts for a bit.

I was able to make some progress on the roof rails. New windlace, cleaned up original rail tracks, and new weather stripping.

I have also started putting the parking brake back together. Still have to tension the wires as they seem to be a bit of a stretch currently and the car is on the ground, so hard to get things buttoned up. One more thing put back under the dash though.

post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Car is looking super nice, that 427 stoker is gonna look good between the fenders I hate the factory location for the parking brake. I'm going to try to fab up a tunnel mount on the fastback.

I would suggest getting the billet parking brake handle. You could always paint/powdercoat it black to blend in. It is alot stronger, I broke 3 of the plastic handles in no time on my coupe.

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Little progress lately with other things taking my time and money. I finally decided to just do the carpet. Still waiting on delivery of the padding, but the Dynamat is in. I had some issues with the first piece I applied, causing me to cut a corner off. That said, the pre cut kit is overkill, far above the recommended 30% coverage, so I am not worried about missing a few inches on the tunnel.

Before

After

Hopefully next week I will be able to actually get the carpet set too.

One of the parallel projects was the windows. I had the rear stainless out for repair and polishing. Well it came back, looking great, so I thought I would stop avoiding it and put the back glass in. I still need to seal it (as if it is ever going out in the rain) so I can put the trim on. something about having glass makes it feel a lot further along. I still need the new front glass, but that's going to get a professional install since I have to order it anyhow. Oh ya, along the way, I installed speakers since that's kind of a pain with glass in.

post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 AM

Garage
Absolutely beautiful car and what a great build! I love what you are doing with your car. It looks incredible.
BradAlbrecht and image98 like this.

1965 289 Coupe
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am trying to get the interior put together while I wait for the engine to be machined. I get impatient, and I had to see what it looked like, even though I don't have quarter windows yet. And the carpet is just setting there, not fit yet. Oh, and the radio bezel came in. The one from NPD is perfect, exactly like the original, minus 50 years of abuse. I think it said it was original tooling.

This weekend I should get some time to fit the carpet and trim it in. I have the kick panels ready to go in as well.
post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the carpet installed, plus the front seats and the little parts that have been waiting for carpet, like kick panes and rocker panel plates. Finally ordered quarter windows to get that done. Until then, I have everything assembled anyhow, just not buttoned up.

I also put it in a blog post here, but I still need to document all the parts with links.
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old Today, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got a call from the machine shop on Friday. The 302 is finally ready for me to pick up. Since this was a random pile of parts from my restoration shop when I started, I need to figure out the details and where to take it from here.

I had them inspect it first, to make sure there were no surprise cracks, etc. Passing that, it needed boring since it was slightly tapered and its now .40 over. It has new flat top pistons and a mild cam. They also rebuilt the original heads and all of the usual new parts associated with it, as required. I should have asked to get the block and heads back before reassembly so I could paint. That means I am going to have to mask a bunch of stuff off and paint it before I bolt on anything else. A quick rattle can Ford blue enamel is going to have to do.

What I have found so far is that it's a 72 Torino 302 block and heads. The other part that is identifiable is the timing cover, which appears to be from a 74 Torino. I am just starting to do the research on the various parts and implications associated with them. I did order an Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake manifold along with the HiPo 289 exhaust manifolds as I intend to go with the arvinode setup. Oh, and some dressy valve covers. I can't go too wrong with those, opinions on looks aside.

I will probably be asking questions on the various accessories as I search the forums. Water pump seems to be the first with ties to the timing cover for getting the correct one.

Last edited by BradAlbrecht; Today at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page